Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Geartronic Jolt engaging D or R

Views : 4837

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2022, 17:28   #1
jasons6930

Default Geartronic Jolt engaging D or R

My apologies for yet another thread but being a Volvo newbie there is a lot to learn although I am trying to use the search function as much as poss!!

Had a fluid flush and change done last week and before that was done I was getting a slight jolt when engaging drive or reverse.

I think the adaptations were reset but not sure if any software updates were installed as I forgot to ask!

The car drives a lot better although you can still feel the gears changing down a little but not as bad as it was however it still jolts when engaging drive or reverse.

Is this something the gearbox will adjust to over time and use or should I perform the r and d shuffle on the drive?

Also, is there a way I check what the latest software version I should have as I have an icarsoft code reader so I should be able to see what is currently installed on the car.

Thanks
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 18:20   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons6930 View Post
My apologies for yet another thread but being a Volvo newbie there is a lot to learn although I am trying to use the search function as much as poss!!

Had a fluid flush and change done last week and before that was done I was getting a slight jolt when engaging drive or reverse.

I think the adaptations were reset but not sure if any software updates were installed as I forgot to ask!

The car drives a lot better although you can still feel the gears changing down a little but not as bad as it was however it still jolts when engaging drive or reverse.

Is this something the gearbox will adjust to over time and use or should I perform the r and d shuffle on the drive?

Also, is there a way I check what the latest software version I should have as I have an icarsoft code reader so I should be able to see what is currently installed on the car.

Thanks
You can accelerate the adaptation process by sitting in the car, engine and gearbox thoroughly warm, and cycle N & D about 20-30 times and then R & N.

Not sure if the iCarsoft will give you the software version, or what the current version is, but new software cured that N into P/R jolt on my 2015 XC60. I mean totally cured it.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 19:06   #3
jasons6930

The car supposedly has got a main dealer history right up until last year and looking at Volvo servicing, they apparently apply any update software during the service under their ‘promise’.

Now, weather they actually do it or not is a different matter or if that includes transmission software.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 19:16   #4
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

In my experience having owned 3 Volvo's, all with full dealer history, is that they do indeed do so. At least Bells always have done - I wouldn't trust Marshalls to dunk a digestive correctly on a tea break, much less do a proper job on an actual real life car.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 21:10   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

My daughter bought her used 2011 XC70 from our main dealer in 2016 with a Selekt warranty. It had been dealer serviced since new so had all the relevant software updates. It soon developed the “thump” when selecting D from N. The dealership first tried adaption but that made no difference. They took it in again and advised us that tbey had renewed the seals in the gearbox valves. This cured it. I don’t know any details about that fix. It was all done within the Selekt warranty

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Jan 31st, 2022 at 21:11. Reason: Typo.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 22:39   #6
jasons6930

Yes, i am wondering if this is related to the valve body that can be repaired with new seals or a complete new valve body replacement i think?

It is something that i would like to sort out sooner rather than later as it does have a short warranty.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 22:56   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

+1 for Tannaton's advice. Find an empty space and move the car backwards and forwards a couple of dozen times, stopping the lever in N between each move. I did that and it cured my lumpy gear engagement when moving off. It never came back.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 23:29   #8
jasons6930

Ok so I just put in drive, move forward a bit, stop, put it in N, leave for a couple of seconds and then put in reverse, move back a bit, stop, put in N, leave for a couple of seconds and repeat the process or just sit there with my foot on brake putting it in drive, and then back to neutral and then do the same for reverse?
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 23:36   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons6930 View Post

Thanks
It is sure to have the latest gearbox software which includes a new adaption and diagnostic routine .

The problem is well known now and volvo developed a fix 4 years ago . It is an internal oil leak from the main shaft seals which are like piston rings . It is a fairly easy fix once the gearbox is out , modified ring seals are fitted after removing the front pump and clutch unit from the gearbox .

Having said all that get the adaption done by the dealer first , They get the gearbox into an adaption mode to do this . sometimes this works if the internal leak is small.
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 08:01   #10
jasons6930

Thanks i may make enquires with my local delaer.

To be fair, it is only a very slight jolt but annoying nonetheless!