Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hot start / warm start / restart issues again!

Views : 2652

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2021, 22:52   #31
bob12
bob12

In those days the Guildford Volvo dealer was Romans. They morphed into Forum (from whom I bought my car), then Lancaster and finally now Squire Furneaux, All at the same premises. SF though have always has a presence in the area throughout but not at Pribright.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 00:35   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
In those days the Guildford Volvo dealer was Romans. They morphed into Forum (from whom I bought my car), then Lancaster and finally now Squire Furneaux, All at the same premises. SF though have always has a presence in the area throughout but not at Pribright.

Bob
I don't suppose you happen to remember where SF were in 1988 do you?

The reg puts the area identifier in that region, i know -PF, -PG were all around that area and it seems -PJ was as well. I remember two years running when i was just a pup, my dad picked up new Cavaliers from Baker-West in Aldershot, first was WPF979S and the next CPG726T.

Really strangely there's a silver 740 round here that is F(or G)9xx LPJ, not caught the prefix in my line of sight yet but as mine also previously lived round these 'ere parts i've sometimes wondered if a couple bought "his and hers" 7xx estates from SF and moved up here.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 22:01   #33
90Wine745

Nice thought......
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 13:16   #34
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I don't suppose you happen to remember where SF were in 1988 do you?

The reg puts the area identifier in that region, i know -PF, -PG were all around that area and it seems -PJ was as well. I remember two years running when i was just a pup, my dad picked up new Cavaliers from Baker-West in Aldershot, first was WPF979S and the next CPG726T.

Really strangely there's a silver 740 round here that is F(or G)9xx LPJ, not caught the prefix in my line of sight yet but as mine also previously lived round these 'ere parts i've sometimes wondered if a couple bought "his and hers" 7xx estates from SF and moved up here.
SF have always been around for as long as I can remember.. I believe they were in Leatherhead originally in the days single ownership dealers. They then spread their wings and bought up/sold garages. I think in places like Cobham, Slough, West Mosley. Then when Lancaster (Inchcape Group) pulled out SF popped up taking over their Guildford Volvo dealership. SF now seem to be part of a larger consortium (HSF?) these days.

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 13:54   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
SF have always been around for as long as I can remember.. I believe they were in Leatherhead originally in the days single ownership dealers. They then spread their wings and bought up/sold garages. I think in places like Cobham, Slough, West Mosley. Then when Lancaster (Inchcape Group) pulled out SF popped up taking over their Guildford Volvo dealership. SF now seem to be part of a larger consortium (HSF?) these days.

Bob
Thanks Bob, i just checked the number plate, mine came from Cobham (why didn't i think of that before! ) originally.

Not sure about the current ownership of SF, maybe they merged and/or were bought out by someone else, don't know.

*** EDIT *** Forgot to mention, mine did the hot-start refusal yesterday, totally unexpected! Last summer when it was really hot it would often get vapour locks in the fuel system so i insulated most of it using proprietary products and kitchen foil, vast improvement! It's always been a good cold starter though.

However, it jogged my memory to a couple of years back when all starting became a game of Russian Roulette. I eventually had some success getting it to start every time (but not on the key) by linking out the ignition/starter switch.

As is the case with intermittent faults, despite proving it with link wires to start it, i haven't as yet renewed the starter switch. That said i did remove it, strip and clean it and haven't had any trouble since.

When i had my last 740, the starter switch played up on that with similar symptoms and i renewed that before i sold it, at the buyers expense. I had listed it with that fault and the buyer asked me if i would replace it and my reply was along the lines of yes but not in the price of the car. They agreed to cover the cost of the switch and sent the money through on seeing the receipt from Volvo.

Worth mentioning here that not all starter switches are the same and they're not interchangeable. Easy enough to get to and remove the switch and find the part number though. I have a secondhand one here (if i can remember where i hid it!) from a 940 (1995 i believe) and that was a known good one in the car it came from. Won't fit my 760 but open to sensible offers and/or arrangements if it's the right one for others to try.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Apr 18th, 2021 at 14:08.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 21:40   #36
bob12
bob12

Replaced starter switch years ago Dave .... got a spare now (or should I say two!!)!!
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 22:05   #37
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Replaced starter switch years ago Dave .... got a spare now (or should I say two!!)!!
Hhhhmmmmmmm - could be playing up again then Bob?

Old May 4th, 2021, 23:08   #38
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

So, thanks to Dave I learned how to start my difficult cold start 940!

Then with the onset of the slightly warmer weather the starting issue changed but thanks to bob12 on here I learned to just floor the throttle every single time I start and she will always always start, cold, hot, restarting, whatever!

So, I was planning to post on there to thank you two guys, and everyone else on here, for getting me out of trouble, when, on Saturday we got back to my car on a mild day after being away for a couple of hours and I forgot to put pedal to metal before I turned the key and lo and behold she started with no gas at all!

I can't keep up with her moods!

Car is going in for service and other work on 12 May but I doubt my mechanic will have much chance to look into the starting issue and I haven't had much chance either but for the moment she is starting every time!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 13:48   #39
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Thanks Ellie. I look forward to your updates.

To me it's clearly a temperature thing but what/where baffles me. Cold weather is no problem. It fires up 'on the button' as long as the battery is good. Then, if I stop for about more 20 mins it won't start so it's foot to the floor and off we go. As long as you don't stop for more than 20 mins the car will start and start again.

When the weather warms up usually to start first off it's the foot to the floor procedure. It will then start and start again 'on the button' .... unless, again, I stop for more than 20 mins and then again it a foot to the floor job to start.

My starting problem has absolutely no affect on the excellent running engine performance or consumption whilst driving.

Bob
So, back in the early summer I took Bob's advice and found that if I started on full throttle there was no issue with starting. Then one day I forgot to give her full throttle and she started first time with no gas and that is how I have been starting ever since.

Jump to today, this morning was cooler than it has been in a long time. She started for work first time with zero throttle, drove to work, I parked at work, switched off, then immediately needed to move her but she refused to restart with no gas or full throttle. I waited until break when she had cooled down and she started first time on full throttle. Back to the old problem again but I am now not sure I can even tie it down to seasons/temperatures?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 14:08   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
So, back in the early summer I took Bob's advice and found that if I started on full throttle there was no issue with starting. Then one day I forgot to give her full throttle and she started first time with no gas and that is how I have been starting ever since.

Jump to today, this morning was cooler than it has been in a long time. She started for work first time with zero throttle, drove to work, I parked at work, switched off, then immediately needed to move her but she refused to restart with no gas or full throttle. I waited until break when she had cooled down and she started first time on full throttle. Back to the old problem again but I am now not sure I can even tie it down to seasons/temperatures?
See if it does it again Ellie, might be just a quirk and a one-off just to remind you to take it in for service etc tomorrow.

Has the whine calmed itself down yet?