Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hot start / warm start / restart issues again!

Views : 2672

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2021, 21:41   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
There is no way this could be linked to throttle cable is there?
Shouldn't be. I'm not all that familiar with the Prins system Ellie but do you know if there's an emergency "Start on gas" procedure?

Many systems offer this, most follow the format of switch ignition on (but don't try to start it), move the LPG changeover switch to petrol then back to gas/auto then without turning the ignition off, start the car without touching the accelerator.

If so and you could try this so it starts on gas without using petrol to start then run for the first few minutes, it would prove whether it's petrol related or more like an ignition fault. If it starts fairly easily on gas then it would be fair to say the ignition side is ok so down to the petrol side.

A quick online search suggests this idea won't be possible to try with yours unless you happen to know of a method for it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 21:44   #22
Laney760
VOC Member

Only just really understanding what Bob wrote: ''Flooring the accelerator stops the injectors working and flooding the cylinders'' I didn't know this, my mechanical knowledge is limited.

Could I need a new ECU?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 22:08   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Only just really understanding what Bob wrote: ''Flooring the accelerator stops the injectors working and flooding the cylinders'' I didn't know this, my mechanical knowledge is limited.

Could I need a new ECU?
Bob has simplified that somewhat, flooring the throttle and holding it there before turning the key doesn't actually stop the injectors working. It fools the ECU into thinking that the throttle hasn't been touched so it only injects enough fuel for idle but with the throttle wide open, the engine can get as much air as it needs to be able to fire if the mixture is excessively rich.
It als helps the excess fuel vapour (gas or pterol) to disperse out through the air intake, reducing the excess richness.

Also the MAF is only sensing a cranking airflow, not a highrevving engine airflow so again, the ECU only injects enough for an idling engine.

Pumping the throttle doesn't have any effect on an injection engine, especially an LH2.4 as there isn't anything on the system to tell the ECU the throttle is being pumped. As far as the ECU is concerned, the throttle is either at idle position or it's not.
If it's not when the key is turned to start, it generally assumes you're proceeding as for a flooded engine so minises the injector time.

I don't think you need a new ECU but that isn't to say it should be ruled out. It does seem odd these problems started with a duff fuel pump and haven't improved much with the replacement from Sweden.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 23:49   #24
bob12
bob12

Thanks Dave.

Yes, these days I am rather short on words of explanation as I pass through these posts and leave the more techncal input to you!! I would add that I don't floor the pedal until the thing won't fire after a couple of seconds then it's foot to the metal without turning the key off just keep cranking. Same effect/thing as you are saying but in more tech.detail.

Different subject but, as often commented on here. Bought a couple of items today via main dealer (not stealer). One item cheapest I could find was £15 (Parts Monster, pfv in disguise) and others on eBay at up to £30+. From Volvo Classic, Sweden, via main dealer 5 mins down the road, £4.68!! I won't comment on the £6 for the other plastic item a 60th the size of the other but not available elsewhere.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 09:12   #25
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Thanks Dave.

Yes, these days I am rather short on words of explanation as I pass through these posts and leave the more techncal input to you!! I would add that I don't floor the pedal until the thing won't fire after a couple of seconds then it's foot to the metal without turning the key off just keep cranking. Same effect/thing as you are saying but in more tech.detail.

Different subject but, as often commented on here. Bought a couple of items today via main dealer (not stealer). One item cheapest I could find was £15 (Parts Monster, pfv in disguise) and others on eBay at up to £30+. From Volvo Classic, Sweden, via main dealer 5 mins down the road, £4.68!! I won't comment on the £6 for the other plastic item a 60th the size of the other but not available elsewhere.

Bob
I always phone FRF in Swansea now for a quote on parts first as more often than not the price is either cheaper or negligible compared to an aftermarket item.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 09:52   #26
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

I don't think you need a new ECU but that isn't to say it should be ruled out. It does seem odd these problems started with a duff fuel pump and haven't improved much with the replacement from Sweden.
The new pump was fitted Oct 18 and the problem started in Aug 19 so there may not be a link, I will find the Volvo receipt over the weekend

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 18:58   #27
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I always phone FRF in Swansea now for a quote on parts first as more often than not the price is either cheaper or negligible compared to an aftermarket item.
Thanks, yes, I always do. I am a big advocate of FRF but, for these two small cost items the postage brought it to about the same if not more (petrol excluded) than popping round the corner to the local main dealer. I also enjoy rolling up in their forecourt with my 31 year old 745 that came out of the same showroom (different name)! It's also easier to 'deal' with Squire Furneaux if the if there's a problem, especially as you pay on collection. I now just await a call from SF to say the parts are in from Sweden.

Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 19:27   #28
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Bob12, thanks for the heads up re full throttle

So today I tried starting with foot fully to the floor as you said (instead of a full pump of the throttle and then foot 75% down) and she started immediately so then I turned the engine off and restarted and she will start time and time again as long as the throttle is fully engaged. (I had got better at the starting these last couple of weeks after a few embarassing waits for restarts, two 5 minute ones at petrol pumps and one 10 minute panicked one causing a major hold up of traffic in Marlow one Monday morning!)

Bob12, my way of starting did not always allow for a restart, yours does, thank you!

I am going to get to the bottom of this, will keep you all updated

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 21:34   #29
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Bob12, thanks for the heads up re full throttle

So today I tried starting with foot fully to the floor as you said (instead of a full pump of the throttle and then foot 75% down) and she started immediately so then I turned the engine off and restarted and she will start time and time again as long as the throttle is fully engaged. (I had got better at the starting these last couple of weeks after a few embarassing waits for restarts, two 5 minute ones at petrol pumps and one 10 minute panicked one causing a major hold up of traffic in Marlow one Monday morning!)

Bob12, my way of starting did not always allow for a restart, yours does, thank you!

I am going to get to the bottom of this, will keep you all updated
Thanks Ellie. I look forward to your updates.

To me it's clearly a temperature thing but what/where baffles me. Cold weather is no problem. It fires up 'on the button' as long as the battery is good. Then, if I stop for about more 20 mins it won't start so it's foot to the floor and off we go. As long as you don't stop for more than 20 mins the car will start and start again.

When the weather warms up usually to start first off it's the foot to the floor procedure. It will then start and start again 'on the button' .... unless, again, I stop for more than 20 mins and then again it a foot to the floor job to start.

My starting problem has absolutely no affect on the excellent running engine performance or consumption whilst driving.

Bob
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 21:43   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
I also enjoy rolling up in their forecourt with my 31 year old 745 that came out of the same showroom (different name)! It's also easier to 'deal' with Squire Furneaux if the if there's a problem, especially as you pay on collection. I now just await a call from SF to say the parts are in from Sweden.

Bob
My beast came from Squire Furneaux as well Bob :

You can see the dealer flash in the rear widow and if you squint, the number plate still carries their name too.

Slightly off-topic but hopefully interesting!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: