Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ongoing no start 940 and other woes!

Views : 4643

Replies : 120

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2021, 22:22   #11
vickyg

Unhappy

Drained the tank until only petrol coming out. Took a hose off in the engine and running the pump produces fuel that looks like milk or mayo. Did several jars, it did not clear. I have some water emulsifier additive due but am at a loss to understand how we get petrol out of the filter/pump and so much water infused fuel in the engine. Running out of energy and fear this car will not recover. Tried to upload pic but it fails.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 22:41   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
Drained the tank until only petrol coming out. Took a hose off in the engine and running the pump produces fuel that looks like milk or mayo. Did several jars, it did not clear. I have some water emulsifier additive due but am at a loss to understand how we get petrol out of the filter/pump and so much water infused fuel in the engine. Running out of energy and fear this car will not recover. Tried to upload pic but it fails.
Use the meths in the tank, it circulates via the return line from the FPR back into the tank so will mix with all the water in the fuel system.

When you say you've got some water emulsifier additive, you haven't bought one of those tiny bottles for about £6-7 have you? They're only about 100ml and are 99% methylated spirits! Biggest con going!

Much cheaper to buy 2L from Toolstation and treat up to 4 gallons of fuel as 100ml won't do anything except to very minor condensation which wouldnt really cause a problem anyway.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 07:43   #13
vickyg

It's half a litre of some stuff by Hydra. I'm going back under the car today and will pull the lines again see if we can run clear
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 07:55   #14
vickyg

Worried that after clearing the tank I've dumped more cr@p back in from the return line. It looks like mayo in the bottom of a jar.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 08:09   #15
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Sun roof leaking

Is it a glass or metal type. The glass type can rust where seal presses on, it's not galvanized like the rest of the car. A good bodge is to seal the glass on the top between the seal and the glass, just a small bead if black silicone.

In my case the water made its way around the inside of the seal and dropped into the slider channel which isn't drained.

Also worth pouring some water into the drain and checking the drain is working.
It's metal and both drains run but I think the metal frame is bent a bit as you have to poke it down with a pen (or your finger) to close the roof! I don't want to use sealant as I want to use it. I might get a sheet of that magnetic sign material as another person suggested and stick it on the roof temporarily!
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 08:47   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It's metal and both drains run but I think the metal frame is bent a bit as you have to poke it down with a pen (or your finger) to close the roof! I don't want to use sealant as I want to use it. I might get a sheet of that magnetic sign material as another person suggested and stick it on the roof temporarily!
Smear silicone grease on the sunroof seal, let it soak in for 20-30 minutes then gently wipe off the excess. The back of the sunroof panel should be slightly proud of the roof as well (about 1-2mm) but you'll need the roof panel open on tilt to get most of the seal then in slide to get the front. When you can, apply some silicone grease to the obvious slides/mechanisms inside.

Repeat the seal greasing fortnightly for 2 months then monthly for 3 months then leave it 3 months, again after another 6 months then do it yearly as a service item.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 09:21   #17
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
The piece that you have to poke down to close the roof panel. Is it the wind deflector across the front which pops up when you slide the roof panel back? What condition is it in? Mine rotted at the ends and I replaced it with a new one which needed to be “tweaked” slightly after fitting so that it didn’t foul the roof panel as it closed. If that is the case I’ll try to post a link to my write up.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 14:35   #18
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
The piece that you have to poke down to close the roof panel. Is it the wind deflector across the front which pops up when you slide the roof panel back? What condition is it in? Mine rotted at the ends and I replaced it with a new one which needed to be “tweaked” slightly after fitting so that it didn’t foul the roof panel as it closed. If that is the case I’ll try to post a link to my write up.
Yes I'd say wind deflector, it's a little too proud and fouls up.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 17:31   #19
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Wind Deflector.

vickyg,
The below link describes how I fitted the replacement Wind Deflector and tweaked it.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...Wind+Deflector

After you have sorted your other problems you may also be interested in the below link about replacing the sunroof seal.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...nroof+Moonroof

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 19:22   #20
vickyg

Feels like progress today, had the plugs out for a clean. Added new fuel and hydra. It almost started, but still doesn't. I'm wondering if the injectors could be clogged, what do you think? Definitely going to sort that sunroof once it's running.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post: