Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Experiences with Webuyanycar?

Views : 1947

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2021, 19:22   #1
TeamG
Master Member

Default Experiences with Webuyanycar?

Previously, based on negative reports from people I know, I’ve steered well clear. Tales of initially high prices rapidly reduced when noting every stone chip, scratch etc.

Today, we’d been looking around to change my wife’s car and also getting rid of the third car (lockdown and change of wife’s job no longer needed). Dealers have been offering part-ex prices from poor to very poor, so I tried my luck with WBAC.

Ominous signs whilst I was waiting as I saw the guys in front of me get their £17.5k offer for their Landcruiser dropped to £14k due to it being keyed all round. Our Aygo went through, confirmed as immaculate and only dropped £35 as due an MOT very soon. Surprised they didn’t drop any for the major service which is due today. Ended up with what we paid a main Toyota dealer for the car 8 months ago, so result there.

Tried our luck with my wife’s Citroen and got dropped £80/corner for badly corroded diamond cut alloys (they do look poor, so knew this would be a problem). Still ended up with £1200 more than the highest dealer part-ex we’ve been offered.

As we went back to the dealer with a cash deal, we got £400 more off the forecourt price for our new purchase.

Overall, a very positive experience despite the minimal expectation. I would advise giving your car the most thorough clean you can and some colour matched polish in any light scratches. The guys there seemed to appreciate a well prepared car being brought in and gave us an easier time it seems.

Would welcome hearing from other experiences though. I’m sure they haven’t all been this positive.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 19:57   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

My older daughter sold her Smart to them 2 or 3 years ago. She was honest and listed every mark, and they did check the car minutely but honoured their quote, which was £400 more than the dealer had offered on trade in against a newer Smart.

There seems to be this peculiar phenomenon in the UK where a car described as "mint", "pristine" or, perish the though, "concours", is usually anything but, and people have unrealistic expectations as a consequence . You can bet the Landcruiser chap ahead of you had failed to mention the paint damage, for example.

Hence they go to WBAC, who discover its only mint when viewed through a welding mask while squinting heavily, and complain about the gross unfairness of a offer. After all, WBAC cant mark the price down for beplemishes that aren't there in the first place.

The only small annoyance is the risk of bumping into Philip Schofield.

But WBAC aren't alone. We've traded in Mrs Familyman's XC90 against a new Mini Electric. We got a good price top book - and he showed me, because I'm a suspicious soul - because it was in genuinely good order and has a full Volvo service history. The sales chap advised that if it had a non dealer history their policy is minimum book at best, regardless of how tidy the car may be, because of the risk of taking on a large complex car. He reckons this is quite normal across the trade when it comes to higher end executive motors. Worth remembering that, as saving a few quid come service time might cost thousands come trade in time.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Aug 28th, 2021 at 20:04. Reason: Chair tobacco teddy gate
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 21:46   #3
TeamG
Master Member

Good point on the main dealer service history. Both ours had main dealer stamps as I hadn’t got round to servicing myself yet. I have a stamp, so usually not an issue for part exing elsewhere, but WBAC may be picky with this.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 22:33   #4
techwatcher
Master Member

We sold our Smart ForTwo to WBAC a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised by the experience. We were aware of a small scratch and they reduced the offer by £30ish but we were content with the price offered.

Speaking with the chap at WBAC it seems problems arise when people come with unrealistic expectations and underplay damage. If you are honest and realistic WBAC seem to offer a reasonable service.
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 23:36   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

There's a good few videos on YouTube of people putting them to the test. Most of what they chip you for is on a rate card so you know what to expect if you do your homework.

Most people will know this buy WBAC are part of the BCA (British Car Auction) group as is Cinch.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 07:34   #6
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Ooh, Cinch!
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 19:31   #7
concrete

By the time I’ve finished with a car, WBAC wouldn’t want to know. They get run into the ground.
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concrete For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 07:43   #8
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete View Post
By the time I’ve finished with a car, WBAC wouldn’t want to know. They get run into the ground.
That's more my mark
Although whilst browsing breakers yards online I did find a scheme called udonateacar where the breaker will take away your old car and you can nominate a charity for the money to go to, so even when it eventually dies my old car may still do some good.

As for WBAC people need to remember, despite the fluffy Schofield adverts, they are a business making money by buying and selling cars. The trouble is most of us get attached to our cars to some extent and they are our pride and joy, and we hang on to the belief that 'It just needs this, that and the other fixing, and a new one of them, and it will be perfect', but anyone buying it will say 'It needs money spending on it to fix this, that and the other, and it definitely needs a new one of them, it's not worth it.'.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 10:23   #9
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete View Post
A man of rare honesty and insight. Most sellers would describe your cars as "showroom condition" and then get huffy when prospective buyers turn up with functioning eyesight and offer them pennies on the pound.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 11:54   #10
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
That's more my mark
Although whilst browsing breakers yards online I did find a scheme called udonateacar where the breaker will take away your old car and you can nominate a charity for the money to go to, so even when it eventually dies my old car may still do some good.

As for WBAC people need to remember, despite the fluffy Schofield adverts, they are a business making money by buying and selling cars. The trouble is most of us get attached to our cars to some extent and they are our pride and joy, and we hang on to the belief that 'It just needs this, that and the other fixing, and a new one of them, and it will be perfect', but anyone buying it will say 'It needs money spending on it to fix this, that and the other, and it definitely needs a new one of them, it's not worth it.'.
We used giveacar.co.uk when we got rid of Dad's car when he died. Trying to sell a car that wasn't ours during covid to webuyanycar or wewantanycar proved to be too complicated, giving it away for charity was easier.