Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DEM-000E Pump Motor

Views : 1051

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2021, 11:25   #1
zikomo

Default DEM-000E Pump Motor

2010 XC90 D5 with 115k miles. What experience does anyone have of fault code DEM-000E Pump motor? Is this pretty much always because the AOC pump has failed? Would be good to know if there are other causes others have come across. Particularly any detailed instructions beyond what is in Vida to diagnose the problem.

It would not surprise me if the pump is blown as the Haldex has never been serviced, seems quite a common issue, milage is getting quite high, and the car has done a fair bit of winter driving/milage on farm tracks etc.

Also any idea of the cost of replacement if it is the pump. It is something I could attempt to do myself but also interested in ball park costs to get an indy to do it for me. Seems quite hard work to get propshaft and flange off!
zikomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 15:53   #2
zikomo

For others a simple and straight-forward guide to testing the pump:

https://xemodex.com/us/dem-pump-test...ure-flowchart/

And DEM:

https://xemodex.com/us/dem-diagnosti...c60-xc70-xc90/
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 20:43   #3
JamesS44

Hi, did u fix your fault code as I have the same one.
Looking at replacing the pump, filter and oil atm but it's £300 so would be good to know if u fixed yours, thanks
JamesS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 15:08   #4
zikomo

No I have not yet fixed. Will replace the pump this weekend as am pretty sure that is the problem. Surprising no helpful comments so far!
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 09:19   #5
zikomo

Yes I fixed the fault code. Replaced the haldex pump and also changed the filter and fluid. The old pump was definitely goosed, full of crud, bushes worn and magnet cracked. I did not have to drop the propshaft although getting to the filter was tricky. I had no problems getting the old pump out and the new one in. I have the Gen 4 haldex, I do not think that the process would work for other generations. AWD definitely working, I tested on a gravel track and the rear wheels are definitely getting drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to zikomo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 10:21   #6
JamesS44

Thanks for the update I'm glad you have fixed your fault.
Interesting you said you didn't have to drop the propshaft as looking at my 2012 there is only a small gap between the pump and propshaft coupling, I can't see how I can remove the pump without fouling the coupling? See attached picture of gen4 haldex.

Finally if you don't mind me asking where did you source your pump, fluid and filter eBay seems the cheapest I can find approx £300 for it all.

Thanks James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210922_101316.jpg (131.0 KB, 24 views)
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 14:58   #7
zikomo

Hi James, it was quite easy for me to get the pump off. On the pump there are 2 small screws and two larger bolts. The bolds attach the pump to the car and the screws hold the cover on to the pump. Removing the screws lets you manipulate the cover off the pump which will give you enough clearance to get the pump past the flange. This is a good video of how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZNC06Z7imQ
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 19:28   #8
JamesS44

Hi, thanks for the response. I have looked into it a bit more and it seems the XC90 came with different size flanges/propshaft couplers.
My 2012 r-design is much bigger than the one in the video which means I will have to remove the propshaft to get the pump off unfortunately.
Nevermind at least I know the pump should fix the fault as I have same code as you.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 19:46   #9
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

I took one look at mine and waved some bank notes at the dealer. If memory serves ive3 had it done 3 times in the cars life, so probably about due a 4th. I never asked them but looking at it I think its an exhaust part off job on an R Design,
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 08:23   #10
zikomo

I had heard that some XC90s have larger flanges. I would definitely NOT get a dealer to do this for you, you could probably manage to drop the propshaft yourself depending or get an indy to do it for you. Definitely advise doing the fluid and filter at the same time, my fluid was filthy.

As an aside it is very likely to be the pump but also a possibility that the DEM has problems. If the pump does not fix it is is relatively easy to remove the DEM and send it off to be reconditioned.