Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

544 - How reliable are they?

Views : 817

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 07:47   #1
dodgyken
Master Member

Default 544 - How reliable are they?

Some how conversation has turned to the 544 - in particular an immaculate 1960 544 1.6 - the question is how good/reliable/dependable are 544s?

Would you expect much trouble/cost from them? Will they cope with "modern" driving - eg steady 60mph cruise? The spec of 980KG powered by 66BHP and 86lb/ft doesn't sound too bad to me
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 11:17   #2
222s
Amazoniste

I've never driven a B16 engined car, but those engines are supposed to be weaker than the later (& tough as old boots) B18, as it has only 3 main bearings compared to the B18 & B20's 5 main bearings. Engine parts aren't as easy to come by either. However if you're only wanting to curise at 60, I 'd be surprised if that causes any problems.

Otherwise, provided that it is in good order and maintained properly, it should be fine! I use my Amazon daily and the technology is basically the same. Obviously the service intervals are much shorter than modern cars, but it's all pretty basic stuff. If you want to make things a bit easier though, the points can be converted to electronic ignition very easily (and virtually invisibly - all goes under the dizzy cap, with just a couple of small wires to the coil).

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 11:57   #3
TomTom
Master Member

I've driven in one once. It seemed a nippier car than the Amazon, infinitely chuckable. But it seemed noisier, from the engine, than the Amazon. Nothing that a bit of dynamat couldn't put right. There would probably be fewer parts off the shelf than the B18/20, but most things are obtainable eventually. Tom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 20:58   #4
dodge6x6

hiya
bought a 61 b18 544 couple of months ago and must say its a pleasure to drive, you only get l/h/drive, but nether me or my partner have found this a problem, mines got a 3 speed box and it keeps up with taffic no problem, parts have been easy to get mostly next day,
vison is a bit sparce if you only have the interior mirror but apart from that no problem,
problems had so far
had fun with brakes binding up but that was cured with a new master cylinder,
put it through mot for only about £200 for parts,
needed rear springs bout £55, headlamps changing to this country £60, king pins £80
(im a mechanic so no labour charge)
having to talk to loads of people when ever you stop, lol

fun so far
grin factor when driving
going to car shows and being the only one of its type there,
so if you fancy something differant that gets people looking and talkin too you then get one and enjoy,

will be at the ace cafe with ours on the 23rd

hope this helps
Pete an Gail
dodge6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote