Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 - high mileage petrol

Views : 2907

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 08:03   #11
v50inred

I have not had to replace a single suspension component on my V50 since purchase.

In fact the only expense will be the heater fan that packed up last week and the condensor on the aircon.

Both these are items that would and do to wrong on low mileage vehicles.

My previous Mondeo TDCi was bought with 85k at three years old and I drove it for three years and 130k and only replaced the brakes and handbrake cables, the mate I sold it to had to do an alternator just shy of 240k.

Was still running fine but needed an aux belt and tensioner but he still got £1000 on trade in.

My V50 turned 140k last week and all I have done is change the oil and filter a couple of air filters and the fuel filter and housing, oh i also put on a set of winter tyres.
When polished it still looks as good as the day I bought it.

Is now due a cambelt anytime now and more than likely the dmf and clutch will need done in the next few years.

Also a 57 plate is not going to be covered under the 5yr condensor warranty so when it goes you are on your own to the tune of £6/700.

Not forgetting the fuel costs of the petrol model and the simple fact that you will find it harder to sell a petrol one when the time comes to part ways.

The OP does low miles which will actually help to offset the high miles slightly.

Also you are not comparing like with like, your two cars were T5's and the same age.

And if any car I was looking to buy needed the thick end of a grand spent on it I would walk away. It has clearly been poorly maintained.

Vehicles under lease are normally serviced to the proper schedule and parts replaced and itemised, mine has a print out the even itemised bulbs!

As soon as cars leave the first owner and are no Lo get under warranty the level of maintenance usually drops. That is just a fact of life.

And the way your relative treats his car is not really relevant either. Modern vehicles don't really need run in any more and the number of company car drivers that treat their cars like that is in the minority, most treat the car as their own.

The usual caveat applies with buying any used car though, if the 59 plate looks to have been a used then walk away.

But have no fear of high miles on a modern family car.

With all due respect to the T5, they are a nice understated performance car, but they are not your average vehicle and would not be bought new or leased by the same kind of person.

Cars last much longer these days, my rear discs and pads were done at 93k by Volvo and they still have plenty of life left, can't remember when the front were done but i am sure it was at the service before.

I am happy with 60k from a set of front pads.

They are also a good indicator of how the vehicle was driven, long intervals between brake changes indicates a car driven on motorways.

I would be careful if the 59 plate was an ex private hire car and had done hard urban miles, but if not it is the deal to chase.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 08:18   #12
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Your one of the lucky ones the suspension is a known weak point of the s40 v50 s, the T5 was /is in very good condition and had/has been looked after 2 owners(last previous to me for 6 years+), volvo service history, correct intervals etc, I was just giving my opinion and have to say its not just my brother, all the people i know that have company cars definately do not look after them.

Main point is just to go and see the cars and judge each on on its merits!
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:59   #13
v50inred

Indeed.

A case of suck it and see.

Never had a bad ex fleet car myself, back when I was a courier we all used to buy three yr old ex fleet with some miles in it, normally put 50-70k a year on them and get rid after three years then start again with another one.

I know folk that have bought ex Police V70's with 150k on them and had several trouble free years.

There was an XC70 D5 on eBay recently, 58 plate I think with nearly 190k on it, looked straight and under £6000 if memory serves.

Sometimes the saving is worth any risk.

Maintenance is more important that mileage IMOH.

But if the OP goes to view it and the dmf rattles and the DPF light is on then that is a different matter.

Car would be £1500 cheaper at auction though, which is were I buy.

My 08 cost under £5k back in 2011. Even with the miles I have put on I have lost little.

A 60k mile 08 V50 in Silver went for £8500 at the same auction.

You takes your money........
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote