Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Scrappage scheme being advocated...

Views : 2318

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2014, 23:00   #21
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

It would be interesting to see how the uk ministers dealt with vehicle taxation classing if we were to leave the EU altogether as it is only their ever changing rules on emissions in brussels that cause issues and hardship to UK(and other EU countries) road tax payers wallets.

The emission groupings are a political farce anyway because a forty year old chugga bug is classed as a historic vehicle and is road tax exempt anyway yet it belches out emissions far in excess of modern day cars.
Where's the logic there? Should we all go back to 40 year old bangers?

According to my volvo indy garage most modern diesels if looked after properly and serviced regularly do not actually excrete the rated emissions on mot that appear on the V5C but are grouped, I think , unfairly in a particular group because they , judged by Brussels laws COULD emit the listed pollutants for their group.

Whenever I have had an MOT the exhaust diesel emissions readout has always been way below the group it is classified in.

Perhaps it would be more fair of Brussels to tax the vehicles individually on the results of your MOT Emissions readout as it is measured at 3 different rev positions, mimicing town, rural and motorway driving.

This year I have gone from an 04 plate D5 163se V70 costing me £225 a year road tax to an 08 plate D5 185 se lux XC90 which costs me £485 for a trully paltry difference in emissions in real global terms but I am smitten with the car so I will just carry on paying it.

Just saying I think the categorisations are false is all.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 11:37   #22
DieselElectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
It would be interesting to see how the uk ministers dealt with vehicle taxation classing if we were to leave the EU altogether as it is only their ever changing rules on emissions in brussels that cause issues and hardship to UK(and other EU countries) road tax payers wallets.
Maybe I'm missing something, but since when did Brussels set or collect the Vehicle Excise Duty?

Furthermore ...
Quote:
In the 1990s, the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution recommended that VED might be graduated in order to encourage environmentally-friendly behaviour.
DieselElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselElectric For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 12:07   #23
kylegordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
The emission groupings are a political farce anyway because a forty year old chugga bug is classed as a historic vehicle and is road tax exempt anyway yet it belches out emissions far in excess of modern day cars.
Where's the logic there? Should we all go back to 40 year old bangers?
How many 40 year old chugga bugs do you see on the road? The very reason they are tax exempt is because they are statistically irrelevant. And further to that, the vehicle miles per capita for 40 year old vehicles is *even more* statistically irrelevant!

Logic indeed.
kylegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kylegordon For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 12:09   #24
John_C
Allons-y!

The CO2 is generated by EU type approval process, true. But the VED is purely a UK invention which uses that data and is nothing to do with the EU at all.

Your rant, while entertaining, is a little flawed
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 14:10   #25
GMcL
0's and 1's

While VED might be specific to the UK I think a lot of the EU Governments are jumping on the CO2 to tax a vehicle.

Since 1st July 2009 in Germany there are three factors which determine the road tax: Fuel type, Engine size and CO2 emissions.
The CO2 is a moving target. From 2009 to 2011 you were allowed 120g "free", 2012 to 2013 110g free and if your car was registered this year 95g free.

For diesel you pay 9,50€/100cc + 2€/g CO2 over the above limit depending on when the car was first registered.
Petrol is 2€/100cc + 2€/g CO2 over and above the limit.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post: