Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Who says owning an old Volvo is expensive?

Views : 2189

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 09:30   #21
Dippydog
Premier Member

Both my cars are 18yrs old-the V70 will be 19 next January with the Omega hitting 19 in March-if/as/when I come to replace them I'd probably look to go older,but certainly not much newer.Older cars tend to be more "fixable" in that parts can be adjusted or repaired where new cars it's a case of take a part off throw it away and replaced with a shiny new bit.When a new car goes wrong-and they do]it goes to a garage and you get "The computer says" and if it's not what the computer says then they're lost.Yes older cars are thirstier,less powerful for a given engine size and in all probability less safe[fewer/no airbags etc]but in some ways I believe this extra safety is leading to worse driving standards as people think that when it all goes wrong the car will save them from their own folly.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 10:20   #22
TurnipSpeed
TurnipSpeed

I suppose that older Volvos are at that point where they are actually
being restored while we still use them!
It’s the build quality that keeps them going, but sooner or later age
catches up with them.
As mentioned getting basic parts is becoming a problem( mine needs
a throttle cable).
Would it be worth spending £5-£6000 on a low mileage 940, given that
it is over 20 years old and unrestored?
TurnipSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnipSpeed For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 22:15   #23
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnipSpeed View Post
I suppose that older Volvos are at that point where they are actually
being restored while we still use them!
It’s the build quality that keeps them going, but sooner or later age
catches up with them.
a throttle cable).
Would it be worth spending £5-£6000 on a low mileage 940, given that
it is over 20 years old and unrestored?
6K would get you a decent V70R.
Top money for a 940 is around 3k...

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 20:56   #24
Forrest
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnipSpeed View Post
a throttle cable).
Doesn’t look as though a throttle cable should be too problematic, or expensive.

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...cable/1028114/

Might be more hassle getting parts post-BREXIT, but then if the Europeans want us to carry on buying their cars it behoves them not to make getting parts too tricky.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 21:21   #25
Forrest
VOC Member

I did just spot when I came to close the tab that link I posted says it’s for a LHD vehicle although it also says it would fit my 1994 RHD Volvo 940 so might need a bit more research.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 10:00   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Owning any car is expensive, and its even more-so per kilometre travelled for old cars. There is no point trying to justify it on the basis of the price of a set of brakepads, although the example is real.

Older cars are less efficient, more prone to breakdown, harder to source parts for, less safe, and harder on the environment.

Its a good thing they are still fun, exciting and totally absorbing to own and operate.

I think you opened one of these ^^^^^ with that post Ash!

In my book, you can't include things like tyres, batteries, exhausts, brake pads/shoes and similar when evaluating the relative cost of running an older car. Thing is, the previous owner should have done most of it before you bought it and if they wear out during your ownership, you should do it. They are all wearing items so need periodic inspection/renewal, regardless of whether it's a new car or an old car.

Yes, older cars will need more unusual maintenance, for example ball joints and track rod ends but once replaced will last another 10, 15 or 20 years.

The thing that does it for me is why pay the massive depreciation on a newer car? Service items are a given with any car, regardless of age, depreciation isn't. If you buy an older car that is nearing the trough of its market value, it's unlikely you will suffer any depreciation, probably it will appreciate if you keep it long enough.

Granted older cars aren't as fuel efficient and aren't as powerful/quick for a given engine size but if you offset the extra fuel costs against a finance payment each month or even just against depreciation, it still works out cheaper to have an older car, bought and paid for with little or no depreciation.

I always have and almost certainly always will, argue that a properly maintained older car is just as reliable, if not more reliable than a newer car.
Many newer cars get neglected because they are newer - the attitude is it doesn't need servicing because it's new. Then there are the new cars with sealed for life engines and gearboxes. That life is limited to the useful service life of the lubricant in each unit.
If for some reason, the lube in one of those units doesn't get the correct amount of additive at production for whatever reason, it won't last as long as it should. Therefore it stops protecting the unit it's designed to protect and that unit consequentially fails at say 80k miles.
Result? Either a very large repair bill or a very large (and expensive!) paperweight.

Of course, engines and gearboxes can fail in older cars and at say 300,000 miles are potentially more likely to, especially if they've been neglected.
However, if they've been looked after and serviced regularly, there's no reason they won't continue to keep going. Also when an older engine or box is going to fail, it usually gives some sort of warning signs and a replacement can be sought. Not so easy with a new car - first there's going to be less warning of imminent failure and secondly, where would the replacement come from? The original manufacturer at a high price.

There are many good reasons for buying a new car, i think there are many more good reasons for buying an older car.
Besides, older cars have more character and are more distinctive than the modern Euro-Blobs, many of which are all the same and just badge-engineered variants of a dozen other similar cars.

I'm sticking with my older cars as that's what i like - each to their own and all that!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 12:01   #27
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

As I read this thread everyone is saying the same.Which in a Volvo forum section for older Volvos does not surprise me. Although some contributors are more willing to acknowledge different depths and widths of the question. Each of us sees different depths and widths. Cushti.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 12:06   #28
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Cans of Worms

David you have a knack of going and finding pics.

Anyways a can of worms is a Good Thing. Providing the worms are released in good health to do their job like what nature intended.
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 12:17   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
As I read this thread everyone is saying the same.Which in a Volvo forum section for older Volvos does not surprise me. Although some contributors are more willing to acknowledge different depths and widths of the question. Each of us sees different depths and widths. Cushti.
Look at my signature Steve, the same has applied with the other car i own and indeed, a similar conversation has been on the forum for that car in the past. Same also applied to my Jeep, that was 22 years old and had done 250k miles when i sold it. Still fired first touch of the key and got me from A to B and back again every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
David you have a knack of going and finding pics.

Anyways a can of worms is a Good Thing. Providing the worms are released in good health to do their job like what nature intended.
Worms are good, they keep the soil in the garden aerated and then provide food for the birds and hedgehogs although in fairness, i do put bread out for the birds and a small plate of dog food for the hedgehogs. Probably saves a few worms from a crunchy end!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 16:35   #30
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

David. Davey, Davey socket ....

Re the birdie wirdies. This household puts out bread, and bird food and fat balls for them. And we see orf a particular predatory feline. We know the birds alarm call for when that feline arrives ......

I recommend fat especially in autumn and winter. Let the birds build up their own fat to survive the cold. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr ....

Cats is good. Very good. THAT cat is a menace ...