Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do you turn ON DRL on a 1997 940?

Views : 4144

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2017, 20:09   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
What model is that? The battery on my 745 B200F is on the right hand driver's side. When the weather improves I will look again as I am determined to find the resistor unit ... eventually
I had three 745GLEs (all B230Es) Bob, all 87/88 E/F reg and the battery was on the left on all of them.

Conversely my current 88/F reg 765GLE (B280E V6) has the battery on the right.

Fairly sure the dim-dip resistor pack is still on the left though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 22:33   #22
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I had three 745GLEs (all B230Es) Bob, all 87/88 E/F reg and the battery was on the left on all of them.

Conversely my current 88/F reg 765GLE (B280E V6) has the battery on the right.

Fairly sure the dim-dip resistor pack is still on the left though.
I shall just have to be more diligent then or get some new glasses

However, I guess all this trivia will have to wait until the New Year as of Thursday my Daughter + 2 sprogs (sorry darling Grandchildren) arrive from NZ for Christmas and the New Year (Daddy is 'working' back home, ha,ha).

So, having totally restructured my house over the past 2 weeks to provide 'suitable accommodation' for them and Father Christmas, I shall be on any form of available spirits for the next few weeks!

Bob.... over and out
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 23:32   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'm not sure improved diligence or eyewear is the answer Bob, i think Volvo dropped the battery in whatever hole they felt like it, according to model year, engine type, fuel type and so on.

You'll have the Christmas Spirit inside you then!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 11:45   #24
black t top

Huge thanks to everyone for replying and helping me determine whats correct for my car, After a lot of looking I can confirm that the car is a German Spec and as such never had dim-dip from the factory.

I don't have a fuse 25 and there is no dimdip relay or missing relay anywhere to be found, cant see any sign of any resistors either, so it appears that the car is a RHD model, but German spec.

At least I know the cars right and not got faulty headlights, I'll just have to remember to turn the lights on when I switch between or 940's!

Onto the next (and hopefully final problem).....a driveline judder/vibration/drone.....I'll do a new thread for that one
black t top is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to black t top For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 19:57   #25
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:

Hi Dave,

I must admit that really does surprise me....

Based on every 700/900 I have ever seen to date, my understanding has always been:

TURBO PETROL & TURBO DIESEL : battery on LHS as air cleaner on RHS

N/A PETROL: battery on RHS as air cleaner on LHS

N/A DIESEL : battery on LHS as air cleaner on RHS

I don't suppose you have a photo to prove my assumption is wrong lol?
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 20:18   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'm sure it was on the left in the 740s Kev, bear in mind mine were all B230Es with K-Jetronic injection. I was quite surprised to find the battery on the right on my current 760GLE as it went against what i thought as well.

I'll try and find a photo of the underbonnet of my last 740 but since Photobucket went all greedy on us, i'm not sure if i've still got them.

I do remember the starter cables ran along the crossmember because the starter was on the right and the battery on the left if that helps any?

Old Dec 21st, 2017, 13:51   #27
lnparry

Hi Back t Top,

By coincidence I also have a 945 SE, manual, LPT delivered to a serviceman in Germany on 1st Dec 1997 (I think service personnel got a tax break if they kept the car out of the UK for a year so a lot did it). It is RHD, dark olive green pearl with half grey leather interior.

My running lights (dimmed headlights and sidelights) work like any other 940 but the original supplying invoice from Volvo Deutschland states "English specification" and included an additional £160 for "Conversion kit headlight celebration package" so maybe it was converted. Total supply price new was £13,655 in Dec 1977.

One thing I have noticed is that the car has rear fog lights on both corners whereas I think most UK 945s have only the offside foglight. As my nearside light cover is older and more faded than the offside I'm thinking that when supplied new in Germany it had only a nearside fog light and when brought to the UK a newer offside light assembly was fitted to give foglights both sides.

Let me know if you want to compare any more details.

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 20:01   #28
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
I'm sure it was on the left in the 740s Kev, bear in mind mine were all B230Es with K-Jetronic injection. I was quite surprised to find the battery on the right on my current 760GLE as it went against what i thought as well.

I'll try and find a photo of the underbonnet of my last 740 but since Photobucket went all greedy on us, i'm not sure if i've still got them.

I do remember the starter cables ran along the crossmember because the starter was on the right and the battery on the left if that helps any?
Hi Dave,

I'm not doubting you but I am asking as I am intrigued as to the routing of the inlet ducting if you are saying that the air cleaner is on the right due to the battery being on the left........bearing in mind the inlet manifold on all red blocks is on the left.......

Have a look have a look at this E-reg 740 GLE......
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 20:02   #29
rwdkev
VOC member

Sorry Dave, forgot link lol

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...QAAOSwtBdaciLX
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 23:12   #30
Tyron760
No redblock? No comment!

Quote:

A little mix-up here I think - Redblocks have the starter on the left.

Regards,
Tyron
940 lpt classic auto estate tropic green 1997
Tyron760 is offline   Reply With Quote