Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V90 D4 R Design - Owner impressions

Views : 5270

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2018, 12:58   #11
spudmaster
Brand new to Volvo

Great review- I have to agree with pretty much everything after 10 weeks and 4.5k miles in my D5 Cross-Country.

My only 'gripe' is economy... averaging 34mpg across a mix of driving- c. 30% motorway- balance rural A & B roads. As a guide this is down 20% from c. 42mpg with my 520D across the same driving.

To be fair, given the extra weight, power & AWD vs the BMW, I expected a reduction- but not this much. It has left me thinking what a shame that Volvo no longer do 5 or 6 cylinder engines... I reckon such an engine in the V90 or XC90 would be pretty much an ideal paring- with very little impact on economy.

Aside from this, I absolutely love the car- no better place to spend a long journey- and surprisingly agile when you give it beans. I absolutely love the way it looks- and really enjoying the fact I have only seen 2 others (in CC format).
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 14:00   #12
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudmaster View Post
My only 'gripe' is economy... averaging 34mpg across a mix of driving- c. 30% motorway- balance rural A & B roads. As a guide this is down 20% from c. 42mpg with my 520D across the same driving.

To be fair, given the extra weight, power & AWD vs the BMW, I expected a reduction- but not this much. It has left me thinking what a shame that Volvo no longer do 5 or 6 cylinder engines... I reckon such an engine in the V90 or XC90 would be pretty much an ideal paring- with very little impact on economy.
You will find that the fuel economy will improve when you get towards 10,000 miles as the engine loosens up by then.

Re the point on power, have you looked at treating yourself to a Polestar upgrade, much better all round improvements in BHP & torque with no reduction in mpg.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 14:42   #13
spudmaster
Brand new to Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
You will find that the fuel economy will improve when you get towards 10,000 miles as the engine loosens up by then.

Re the point on power, have you looked at treating yourself to a Polestar upgrade, much better all round improvements in BHP & torque with no reduction in mpg.
Thanks Simon-
I bought the car as an ex-demo; so now on 12k. Having said that; it has been pretty damned cold since- so will hopefully improve over the coming months...

Power isn't really an issue. the PP D5 pulls the car along quite nicely. I just wish it had the refinement and sound of a 6 cylinder. Even so, I could yet be tempted by Polestar- mainly for the apparent improvement in gear change response. However, I would want to try one first.

Just in the process of possibly squeezing in a last-minute ski trip. Probably 50:50 of that going ahead. If it falls through, I might just be tempted to spend the cash on Polestar instead...

Don't you just love Man Maths!

Last edited by spudmaster; Feb 9th, 2018 at 14:45.
spudmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 15:02   #14
dghdgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan8c View Post
You can download the full manual to a laptop or tablet from Volvo and read it to your hearts content . Unless of course you are too old fashioned to have 1 of these items lol.
Oh I have these but still prefer a hard copy.
dghdgh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dghdgh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 17:56   #15
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
I hope you’ve got a good excess mileage rate - your 8k pa won’t go far at your current rate!! 😉
I know at this rate it will be much higher! It is 7p for the first 5,000 miles over, then 10p a mile after that. I have resigned myself to the fact I will l be paying the £350 at the end of the lease for the 5,000 miles.

At the moment we are driving in the V90 in preference to our other cars....that will have to stop, but enjoying it while it lasts!
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 18:17   #16
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
I know at this rate it will be much higher! It is 7p for the first 5,000 miles over, then 10p a mile after that. I have resigned myself to the fact I will l be paying the £350 at the end of the lease for the 5,000 miles.

At the moment we are driving in the V90 in preference to our other cars....that will have to stop, but enjoying it while it lasts!
That’s a good rate, so I wouldn’t be too bothered for an extra £350. I assume there’s VAT on that as 7p vat inclusive is a very good rate. You may also find that if you call the lease co in month 11 (I say this as often you can’t do this in the last year of contract) you may be able to negotiate a new monthly rate based on an updated mileage, this is likely to be a bit cheaper than paying ppm.

Also, if like me to base your insurance on the contract mileage you may need to let them know if you renegotiate your miles
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 18:18   #17
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghdgh View Post
Oh I have these but still prefer a hard copy.
I agree it would be nice to have a book.
The Following User Says Thank You to anotherv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 19:52   #18
pigglesberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
That’s a good rate, so I wouldn’t be too bothered for an extra £350. I assume there’s VAT on that as 7p vat inclusive is a very good rate. You may also find that if you call the lease co in month 11 (I say this as often you can’t do this in the last year of contract) you may be able to negotiate a new monthly rate based on an updated mileage, this is likely to be a bit cheaper than paying ppm.

Also, if like me to base your insurance on the contract mileage you may need to let them know if you renegotiate your miles
The excess mileage rate is inclusive of VAT!
pigglesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 19:11   #19
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigglesberg View Post
The excess mileage rate is inclusive of VAT!
I'm going to need it to be inclusive of vat...1200 miles and counting...still at 43 mpg, thought it might of increased due to motorway driving but nope.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 19:49   #20
BigKahuna

Congratulations on a great choice. I think the V90 is a stunning looking vehicle. I saw a Bursting blue R-Design in a car park last week and it really stood out from anything else around it. Reminded me of a modern day version (from the front) of the car in 'The Saint'. (Older folk will remember) . I was very tempted to go V90, but needed something a bit higher due to a dodgy knee.