Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Particle Filter

Views : 17448

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2010, 15:51   #1
nebc100

Default Particle Filter

Hello All,

I am sorry if this question has already been asked, but I cannot really find an answer (yes... I have looked)

I have a V50 1.6d that has currently done 85000Km. According to my handbook, the diesel particle filter need changing every 100000 Km, and the eolys fluid needs filling every 60000Km.

Is it me, or does this not add up?

So either:

The fluid was filled at 60000Km and should be good for another 60000Km. if the filter is good for 2 fillings of the fluid, then the filter should be replaced at 120000km surely???

OR

The fluid was filled at 60000Km. The filter is then replaced at 100000Km. When do you next will up the fluid? At 120000Km or at 160000Km?

Which is correct?

Also ... How much does the particle filter cost? I have just managed to buy one on ebay (brand new from a Volvo parts dealer) for €150. Is this a good price??

Thanks for you comments.

Nicholas Cross
nebc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 16:18   #2
maleercan

First up, that's an amazing price - was it a Buy It Now? If so do they have more?!
If so could you send me the link, please?

Those numbers could make perfect sense - if the DPF gets less efficient at it's job, it might use more fluid. Who knows though, but I am sure they have reason... perhaps even good reason!
maleercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 16:34   #3
nebc100

Sorry... they don't have any more. It was the last one.

I have seen them for sale on ebay.de quite a few times for around the €200 mark, but in this case I made an offer of €150 and they accepted.

I don't mind!!

Regarding my question though, do you have to refill the eolys fluid when you change the filter? If not, then that would answer my question because it would mean that the filter only lasts 100000Km even if (end of discussion).

I find it very interesting that Peugeot only replace the Particle Filter every 160000Km and have to refill the EOLYS fluid every 80000Km. I thought that the 1.6d engine was a peugeot engine??
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 17:02   #4
maleercan

Ah well - worth asking!
Do you have the part number for it on the box? Sometimes eBay listings aren't too clear...

I would expect that Volvo are just being more cautious. Funny though that they are all different...
maleercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 17:07   #5
nebc100

I have sent the seller an e-mail asking if he still has more (or if he can get more) and at what price. If I get an answer, I will post here to let you all know.

Here is the auction that I bought. It clearly shows the part, and he has given the part number etc. The seller has 100% feedback, so I don't think that I need to worry. It is also nice that you can see that it really is a Volvo part (going by the box).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...EOIBSA:GB:1123
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 18:35   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

The additive is topped up at 36000 mile intervals and particle filter due for replacement at 75000 mile intervals .. In UK anyway ..
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 19:37   #7
nebc100

Hello All,

I have a strange question... I have just received the particle filter that I ordered. It is certainly an original volvo part (it has the volvo name stamped into the part) manufactured by TwinTec.

I was just wondering (I haven't crawled under my car). My car has to have the particle fluid filled up every 60000Km. Where does this fluid enter the partcle filter because the filter that I have doesn't have anywhere to add any pipes or anything.

Did Volvo make a particle filter that does not need this fluid for the 1.6d?

Has anyone changed their own particle filter? Any comments would be appreciated because I am worried that I have a filter that won't actually fit on my car.

Thanks!!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 21:02   #8
Guru
Premier Member

The fluid does not enter the particulate filter in any way or form.

The fluid is poured in to a special tank situated under the rear wheel arch, right side i think?

Then the fluid through an electronic dosimeter is mixed in small portions with the diesel fuel in the main tank.

This causes a raise in temperature of the exhaust fumes, this high temperature is needed for the regeneration process of the particulate filter.

So to make things simple, the whole purpose of the fluid "additive" is to raise exhaust fumes temperature, and it mixes with the diesel in the fuel tank, not in the P. filter itself.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 19:21   #9
nebc100

Hello Guru,

thanks for your reply, but I am sad to have to tell you but you are in fact mistaken.

On the 2.0d and and 1.6d, the particle filter is right at the front of the car (yes... the fluid tank is at the back near the fuel tank). There is then a pipe that sprays the fluid in to the filter just after the exhaust gasses come out of the engine (before i they head off to the turbo).

Anyway... this means that the filter that I have (even though it is meant for a Volvo V50/S40 2.0d or 1.6d (I have all the volvo certificates to prove that it is the right part) won't fit my car.

SO.... if anyone is interested in this part (I can send photos on request) I will sell it for 200GBP including shipping.

Please let me know before Monday as I am going to be calling the supplier on Monday to try and organise the return of the part.

Best regards.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 20:09   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Lots of misunderstandings here . Firstly the Particle filters are completely different for 2.0 D and 1.6D so you cant be sure you have the correct one .. That filter in the e-bay advert is certaily NOT a 1.6D filter . Has it got two small 8mm pipes coming out to attach the sensor pipes ?
Secondly Guru is correct in what he says about the operation of the regeneration system . ,