Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR Valve has been blanked off on my car...

Views : 3561

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2012, 19:51   #1
chrisdicko

Default EGR Valve has been blanked off on my car...

I recently got the 'ESSR' light on the dash, and got my friend to clear it.

It had P0490 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit High.

But driving home it came back on. So I popped round to his house, and he plugged his diagnostic tool in, and it was the same error.

He looked under the bonnet and noticed a plate had been fitted before/after the EGR valve at the back of the engine bay.

My car is a 2005 2.0D V40. Is it possible to blank off the EGR on this model?

Why would it have been blanked off? Will the EGR valve need replacing?

Thanks a lot
chrisdicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 21:31   #2
UKTech

If you do a bit of searching you'll find that there's been lots on this subject recently, I think it's been found that you can't totally block it, but you can leave certain sized holes in it to try and improve consumption, don't think that theres any conclusive evidence to suggest that it works, but I'll leave you to find out these things after searching.

HTH
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKTech For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2012, 21:53   #3
chrisdicko

Thanks for the reply. But what if I don't want it blocked? As I bought the car like this.

Will the previous owner have blocked it off if the EGR was failing/broken? or just to save fuel, etc like the reasons some people do it for?
Old May 8th, 2012, 21:55   #4
chrisdicko

Also, does my age car have a PDF filter?
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:27   #5
chrisdicko

I guess due to the ESSR light coming on due to the EGR valve being blocked off, mine will be a Euro 4 version, as from what I have read on here, the Euro 4 version isn't capable of being blocked off!

So why would the previous owner have blocked off the EGR valve?

Can I replace the EGR valve and have everything back to stock, or will there be other issues I don't know about?

Thanks a lot
Old May 9th, 2012, 15:15   #6
kebab10
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdicko View Post
I guess due to the ESSR light coming on due to the EGR valve being blocked off, mine will be a Euro 4 version, as from what I have read on here, the Euro 4 version isn't capable of being blocked off!

So why would the previous owner have blocked off the EGR valve?

Can I replace the EGR valve and have everything back to stock, or will there be other issues I don't know about?

Thanks a lot
Do a search on this forum to see if your car has a DPF thats a Diesel Particulate Filter for the uninformed; and check your VIN to see if its fitted. As for the Exhaust Gas Recirculation problem, why not ask the previous owner?

Also there is a lot on the subject, just need to read through and see if it suits you to blank it off or not. I would suggest taking the "blanking" off, clear the codes and trying it that way for perhaps a week. See what effect it has on your fuel consumption, general running and if it is better. Then decide what to do. But do in the meantime read about it on the forum.

Hope this helps.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kebab10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2012, 15:36   #7
chrisdicko

Thanks for the reply.

I have searched, but so many results come back it's quite difficult to find if my car does have a DPF, and I am still none the wiser.

I don't know the previous owner, and have no way of contacting him unfortunately. I'm guessing he might have done it if the EGR valve was knackered....or just wanted to try to improve things?!

Will I cause any problems with the engine or DPF (if I have one) by removing the blank? I don't really want the ESSR light coming on all the time, so I don't think I should be leaving it in.

I got a quote from my local garage (non-volvo) who quoted £160+vat for the new EGR valve.
Old May 9th, 2012, 17:15   #8
kebab10
Premier Member

Try a search for VIN number and DPF and yes it will throw up a lot of stuff. Tis a busy forum. Just read, it may take a while but the answer is here. Patience is required. Good things come to those that search wisely. You will answer your questions with these searches.
Old May 9th, 2012, 19:51   #9
gilgamesh1066

Try here ....Clan explains it well in post No.9

http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread...hlight=VIN+DPF
gilgamesh1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gilgamesh1066 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2012, 20:07   #10
kebab10
Premier Member

Now you have that info, search for egr problems. Search and find it on here.