Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 speedometer needle setting after fix

Views : 862

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2019, 18:21   #11
bob12
bob12

Glad it now seems to be fixed and working OK ... Bob

P.S - forgot to ask, out of interest did the speedo have the later 5 thin pin connectors off the pcb to the backboard or the flat tags forming part of the pcb board?

Last edited by bob12; Mar 25th, 2019 at 18:30.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 18:24   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Errr, yeah...............what Bob said! ^^^^^^^

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 21:36   #13
Hell Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Glad it now seems to be fixed and working OK ... Bob

P.S - forgot to ask, out of interest did the speedo have the later 5 thin pin connectors off the pcb to the backboard or the flat tags forming part of the pcb board?
Would that be the thin pins in a row you have to be careful to line up with the sockets when you place the speedo in position ready to screw back on?
Hell Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 14:18   #14
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Driver View Post
Would that be the thin pins in a row you have to be careful to line up with the sockets when you place the speedo in position ready to screw back on?
Yes, that's them the five thin pins that bend easily if you don't line the up centrally with the female part on the backboard. It's the cause of a speedo 'apparent fault' as one or the other can slip to one side of the connector and not make any electrical contact.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 21:28   #15
Hell Driver

Yes. it is that type with the pins then. So far so good, done a bit of driving and everything works OK, even changed the blown bulbs at last so all the back lights working now. Some of the other dash lights were blown too. A small detail that left me stranded on the M1 a couple of years ago...battery charging light bulb had blown so I didn't get warning that the alternator brushes were worn away
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hell Driver For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 22:39   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
A small detail that left me stranded on the M1 a couple of years ago...battery charging light bulb had blown so I didn't get warning that the alternator brushes were worn away
Unless you're in the habit of checking your warning lights when you first switch the ignition on, you wouldn't have known anyway. The moment the charge warning light doesn't illuminate with just the ignition on, you know you've got a problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 14:49   #17
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Hopefully final update! Looks like friction was the problem. Yes, the collar should be upwards as per diagram. I've returned it to that position (in which it wasn't working when I first reassembled) and added a tiny amount of oil to every moving cog/friction surface. (But not the digits!) ..................
Sorry to resurrect this post, but I forgot to ask and interested to know exactly what sort of oil you used on the stepping motor plastic gearing. Fine machine, silicone or... ?

Cheers, Bob
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 17:30   #18
Hell Driver

It was just a general household lubrication oil. Hope it doesn't affect the plastic! Wasn't it the oil that damaged the original cog that they made out of the wrong plastic or something? Still working OK. I just put a tiny amount on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hell Driver For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 19:16   #19
bob12
bob12

Quote:
It was just a general household lubrication oil. Hope it doesn't affect the plastic! Wasn't it the oil that damaged the original cog that they made out of the wrong plastic or something? Still working OK. I just put a tiny amount on.
Thanks very much for that 'Hell' , and glad to know you fixed it. Who is really worried as long as it's working OK!

It's good to know what you used as I have never used any lubricant when replacing the errant gear wheel on a VDO speedo as I have never seen any sign of lubricant on the gears (or residue) when the speedo is taken to pieces .... just one or two sheared teeth.

In my opinion the cause of failure of the particular gear wheel is a combination of age degradation of the 'plastic', or whatever the gearwheel was made of, and mechanical abuse as a result of zeroing the trip odo whilst on the move.

Like you I have had problems with getting the speedo/odo to work efficiently after replacing a gear. It's a bugxer!

The best VDO speedo which I now have in my cluster on the 745 is one made by VDO Australia that I acquired in a 740 cluster I 'happened' pick up. I won't elaborate, but it's age indicates it was a replacement for a German made one at a time when VDO were in financial 'difficulties'!!!

Thanks again - Bob