Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo D5 2008 (D5244T13 Engine) possible injector issues???

Views : 3030

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2018, 09:42   #11
Alex P

Another note, I've checked the turbo actuator and vanes on the turbo and the vanes move very freely with full travel once disconnected from the actuator, the actuator was solid to move by hand so reconnected all and observered the movememt when running. This all seems fine as the actuator indeed moves the vanes with revs and with no apparent jerkyness.
So unless there's a intermittent fault with this I can discard the vanes and turbo assembly.
Could this misfire be fuel starvation/ air in system or actually injectors???
Alex P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 15:06   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P View Post
Could this misfire be fuel starvation/ air in system or actually injectors???
There is nothing fuel related so far in this thread.

All your symptoms, live data and fault codes relate to implausible pressure sensor values which could be faulty sensors, faulty wiring or even a faulty ECM (hopefully not).

I would be using the signal specification values from the information section in Vida to do some fault tracing with a multimeter.
Old May 12th, 2018, 15:39   #13
Alex P

Yes indeed, this one has be baffled, Hopefully not the ECM but I've notice slight corrosion on the back of it when removing to check all terminals, Can the ECM be sent off for repair or is it a main dealer only swap??
I'm at a point now that the vehicle will be sold as is and hopefully someone with more mechanical expererience can fix it in no time and have a wonderful sought after fully loaded V50 D5, I'll have a quick look at the wiring etc but I just haven't the time available to fault find wiring in depth etc.
Old May 12th, 2018, 17:08   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P View Post
Can the ECM be sent off for repair or is it a main dealer only swap??
Contact this guy.
He's a forum member with an excellent reputation for sorting these kinds of problems.
Old May 12th, 2018, 18:06   #15
Alex P

Cheers for the info, I'll contact them and see what can be done to fix this issue.
Old May 14th, 2018, 16:11   #16
Yobbo
Dave

As another aside, Shemtek in Notts are worth contacting too, hope you get it sorted!
Old May 14th, 2018, 16:44   #17
Alex P

Cheers for the info, will try anything at this stage. Incidentally I disconnected the battery yesterday and connected the two leads together for a while to drain the system and this morning the car was definitely worse to drive...i know à little knowledge is dangerous but is it possible to re adapt the common components in vida even if they've not been replaced or is this a silly idea .
I'm really clutching at straws at the moment as it's not flagging any faults up whatsoever in vida and feel reluctant to book in to a garage who will charge be labour just to come back with nothing.
Old May 15th, 2018, 14:21   #18
Yobbo
Dave

Just a thought, after what you referred to as a "misfire", did you noticed a change in your engine's note - perhaps sounding deeper?
My feeling is go back and check the intake and intercooler hose connections,
if there were injector and or high pressure fuel pump issues they would definitely turn up in VIDA.

The hunting you describe really sounds like a boost leak...
That is unless you've lost compression on a cylinder or two, and I've never heard of a D5 doing that.
Old May 15th, 2018, 14:52   #19
Alex P

Cheers mate,
I've had the main pipe off underneath and also the one off the throttle flap housing and pressure tested the intercooler itself with no issues at all, no leaks anywhere. Butterfly is open when disconnected with a spring resistance 9n the flap so I'm assuming it's fine but don't know for sure whilst running. The hunting when it's worse state is very similar to bouncing off the engine limiter at redline but this does it at around 1800 and will not go above even if you floor the accelerator..
It has settled down a little today as will rev OK when not driven but the misfire and juddering is still there when driving in that rev range in second gear. Could a air leak in the fuel line cause similar symptoms if the fuel filter housing was suspect but without leaking diesel from it.
Sorry but at the moment I've got more questions than answers.
Old May 15th, 2018, 19:02   #20
Yobbo
Dave

Don't apologise for questions!
Okay so air intake can be totally ruled out (we hope).

So back to fuelling, yes - its possible that if there was a leak in the fuel line it could cause a gasping effect but more than likely you would simply have diesel spraying about the place and you'd readily notice that...
(Been there - cracked an inlet pipe on the fuel filter housing when changing the fuel filter, as a previous mechanic/owner mangled the hanger for the subframe slot it gave too much free play... Anyway the superglue lasted 4 months though haha!)

At this stage I'd be inclined to get a compression test done...