Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1965 Amazon 122S For Sale

Views : 4721

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2018, 18:45   #1
Notlob

Default 1965 Amazon 122S For Sale

Here for sale is my Amazon that I have owned since 2011. It's the second one I have had and has been by far the best and most solid “classic” I have ever owned.

Whilst I do not have a great deal of documentation prior to 2011 apart from a number of MOT certificates, the advert placed when I bought the car was full of detail.

The previous owner had bought the car back in 1972 and used it as his family vehicle, initially abroad in the Sahara for two years and then for ten years in Switzerland (hence a number of Swiss stickers on the rear bumpers in in the rear screen), before returning to the UK in 1984. During the time he was away, the deadline date for the conversion of old style log books to computer records had passed and so the vehicle lost its original registration of EYL419C and this was replaced with EHY802C. The V5 now shows one previous owner prior to myself.

In approx 2000 the car was taken back to bare metal and the front inner and outer wings along with the lower section of the rear wings were replaced. It was then resprayed. Whilst I have nothing other than the advert from 2011 to prove this, I have no reason to doubt it and the respray still stands up well today. It would appear that the rubbing back for the respray may have been a little enthusiastic as some of the edges of the trim were also abraded. I've polished these back and they look fine to me.

The underside of the vehicle is sound. It was when I bought it and remains so today, with the MOT man always commenting positively about it when it goes in – I'm sure he'll miss it now it's MOT exempt!

I've no idea of the mileage. The oddometer is in km's and I've kept it that way as it's part of the vehicle's history of its time abroad. It shows about 13,800km's but as these are not the original clocks the mileage could be anything! However, the car drives very well, does not burn oil and is mechanically excellent. The 2011 advert goes on to say that in 2000 the head came of for a clean and the pistons were “virtually pristine” and as it's only done 20,000km's in the years since, they probably still are. At the same time it was given a new oil pump, water pump, stainless exhaust. All brake pipes, hoses, calipers, drums and both master and slave cylinders were replaced. The system, along with the clutch was then filled with DOT 5 fluid.

The seller was moving onto a 123GT which I think he is still rallying.

When I bought it, it had acquired a few scratches through storage, the bumpers and interior were a little tired and some trim was missing These have all either been the subject of localised respray or refurbishment / replacement as appropriate.

The paintwork is very good but not perfect with the odd little chip and some very light bubbling in the bottom of the nearside rear door which does not appear to be getting worse. I think it's very presentable, but you'd need to come and see it to make your own mind up. I've shown it many times at classic car shows and it always receives favourable comments.

In the 8 years of my ownership I've done about 20,000km's and it has never let me down. I originally had it serviced by a local independent garage but since his retirement I have serviced it myself. At the same time I have gradually improved the car with replacement bumpers, interior and exterior trim, wheels, new tyres, etc.

To me its an extremely solid, well maintained and well looked after Amazon that can hold its own at any car show and I'd have no hesitation in jumping in it tomorrow to drive any distance . It's got a valid MOT through to February 2019 but it is now, of course, MOT exempt.

I'm only selling as I've now managed to acquire two Series Land Rovers and have no space for the Volvo. So it, along with one of the Land Rovers, spends its time alternating between secured covered caravan storage and my garage. As I did less than 1000km last year I really can't justify the cost of storage so it is time for us to part company.

There are a few spares, including a front screen. The current one has a couple of scratches, presumably from a wiper that wasn't replaced in time. I've meant to replace it but never quite got round to it!

I hope you find this interesting and if you are in the market for an Amazon you really would need to come and have a look for yourself to make your own mind up and see if you agree with my assessment of it.

£5,950 ONO
Located in Southport

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amazon 1 Resize.jpg (122.5 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg Amazon 2 Resize.jpg (128.7 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Amazon 3 Resize.jpg (127.1 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Amazon 4 Resize.jpg (105.7 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg Amazon 5 Resize.jpg (122.3 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg Amazon 6 Resize.jpg (100.8 KB, 252 views)
Notlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 22:51   #2
Notlob

Ok, So I know end of season may not be the best time to sell an Amazon but your thoughts on the price I've set would be welcome.

I set it at what i thought was a reasonable level based on price guides, discussing with people and looking at what else has been for sale recently.

Now I know you'll be commenting "sight unseen" but do you think my asking price is reasonable. I'm keen to sell as it's costing me to store but I'd rather keep it then give it away too cheaply?

Your thoughts?

Cheers
Dave
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 15:02   #3
amazondean
amazondean

If you really want to sell it and achieve a reasonable market value, then auction it off.

The problem with any value these days is that we are blinded by dealers trying to push prices up for everything, giving people the idea of what something is worth. When in reality, these dealer cars are advertised Month after Month without sale. When they do sell they try their hardest to make you think they got near to the asking price, when in reality we will never know.

I used to be amazon mad, before prices got silly. I even dabbled with a couple of p1800's that most are hiding the fact that they are near scrap.

I am pretty sure if I turned up with a torch and magnet I would end up falling out with you over it's real condition, as without trying to sound pedantic, I would find things you never realised was there, or not there!

If you keep it long enough, the value will go up to what you are asking, but my opinion is to try an auction if you actually want to sell. But be prepared to have a shock!

Last edited by amazondean; Sep 5th, 2018 at 15:05.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 16:54   #4
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlob View Post
Ok, So I know end of season may not be the best time to sell an Amazon but your thoughts on the price I've set would be welcome.

I set it at what i thought was a reasonable level based on price guides, discussing with people and looking at what else has been for sale recently.

Now I know you'll be commenting "sight unseen" but do you think my asking price is reasonable. I'm keen to sell as it's costing me to store but I'd rather keep it then give it away too cheaply?

Your thoughts?

Cheers
Dave
Hello Dave,
I think your advert includes openess and honesty and given the time and effort it took to promote the sale of the "old girl" then you strike me as a decent chap with the best of intentions.
The price you're asking seems reasonable considering the photo's and detail you've written,some folks hide the Reg number and some folks just give a detailed listing and then give no price but at least you've given a demarcation point for people to work with and the MOT history looks well.
The Classic Car world is full of hidden demons and dishonesty and greed driven
scumb who will knock you down with some pathetic story.
Back in the late 70's I had a couple of Amazons, the first a 4 door Saloon and then an Estate and every Volvo since has been an Estate, that is except my special Classic a 2 door Saloon which I will never part with after 5 long years of fettling and heart ache it's back on the road and reminds me of carefree days when my 3 daughters were young and this world was a better place.
My point is if someone is looking for an Amazon and happy to pay the price then just wait and the right person will come along, they are attracting attention for their reputation,reliabilty and they are becoming rarer.........and the bonus is spares are quite easy to obtain still and at a reasonable price.
Try buying spares for some Classics and a sharp intake of breath is needed besides a large wallet..............good luck and have patience.

Last edited by omc 47; Sep 5th, 2018 at 16:57.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 19:44   #5
Notlob

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
If you really want to sell it and achieve a reasonable market value, then auction it off.

The problem with any value these days is that we are blinded by dealers trying to push prices up for everything, giving people the idea of what something is worth. When in reality, these dealer cars are advertised Month after Month without sale. When they do sell they try their hardest to make you think they got near to the asking price, when in reality we will never know.

I used to be amazon mad, before prices got silly. I even dabbled with a couple of p1800's that most are hiding the fact that they are near scrap.

I am pretty sure if I turned up with a torch and magnet I would end up falling out with you over it's real condition, as without trying to sound pedantic, I would find things you never realised was there, or not there!

If you keep it long enough, the value will go up to what you are asking, but my opinion is to try an auction if you actually want to sell. But be prepared to have a shock!
Dean,

I don't think I'd fall out with anyone if they were pointing out true faults that I hadn't realised where there. But I can be pretty sure that you'd struggle to find anything that's not metal on it.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Notlob For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 19:46   #6
Notlob

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
Hello Dave,
I think your advert includes openess and honesty and given the time and effort it took to promote the sale of the "old girl" then you strike me as a decent chap with the best of intentions.
The price you're asking seems reasonable considering the photo's and detail you've written,some folks hide the Reg number and some folks just give a detailed listing and then give no price but at least you've given a demarcation point for people to work with and the MOT history looks well.
The Classic Car world is full of hidden demons and dishonesty and greed driven
scumb who will knock you down with some pathetic story.
Back in the late 70's I had a couple of Amazons, the first a 4 door Saloon and then an Estate and every Volvo since has been an Estate, that is except my special Classic a 2 door Saloon which I will never part with after 5 long years of fettling and heart ache it's back on the road and reminds me of carefree days when my 3 daughters were young and this world was a better place.
My point is if someone is looking for an Amazon and happy to pay the price then just wait and the right person will come along, they are attracting attention for their reputation,reliabilty and they are becoming rarer.........and the bonus is spares are quite easy to obtain still and at a reasonable price.
Try buying spares for some Classics and a sharp intake of breath is needed besides a large wallet..............good luck and have patience.
Thanks for that and I do realise that I'm looking at a niche market and I've always subscribed to the thought that you need to be lucky with timings to find the person looking for your particular car at the same time that you are selling.

Cheers
Dave
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 20:47   #7
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlob View Post
Thanks for that and I do realise that I'm looking at a niche market and I've always subscribed to the thought that you need to be lucky with timings to find the person looking for your particular car at the same time that you are selling.

Cheers
Dave
Thanks Dave,
I need to add that if I was looking for an Amazon then I would definately be coming for a look at the price your asking, I spoke to a colleague recently who finally bought an Amazon earlier this year but he saw some real "dogs" which were in the £7,000 area ..............food for thought indeed.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 00:58   #8
Notlob

PRICE DROP - Any interest at £5,250ono?
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 15:02   #9
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

A few more specs on the ad - engine size? No. and type of carbs, o/d (think not), what is orange pull out sw on dashboard?

Would that help? Good luck. Lovely looking car
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 23:03   #10
Dibble
VOC Member

A good, honest advert Dave. 1780cc and twin carbs? It's a pity you can't hang on to that car until the right buyer comes along. I feel your price is too low. You should be at least £6,000 but others here may disagree.
Do you have it advertised elsewhere?
All the best with your sale.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post: