Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

L P G installment +costs+savings

Views : 5926

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2011, 06:57   #1
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default L P G installment +costs+savings

L p g
So many adverts now from people complaining to have to sell their car
due to petrolprices.

My answer is get a LPG kit in your car.

Now dont start by saying- lpg kit is expensive.

I will run you through an example.

====================================
A kit will cost 1000 to 2000 gbp.

Assume 1500gbp
currently difference between petrol and lpg is 60 pence a liter.

1500gbp divided by 60 gives 2500 liters.
That means when I have driven away 2500 liters of lpg I HAVE SAVED THE
MONEY to have payed for the kit.

2500 liters on a 960 will be about 17.000miles.

===============================================
Also realise that the lpg kit installed on the car adds to the value of the car.

And, if need be, you can take the major components off the car if you have to sell or scrap the car.These components can be used on your new car.
(components : tank,evaporator,switches)

Furthermore , a diy homemechanic can install an lpg kit himself.Than you get it tested and certified.

Last edited by brodgar; Jul 24th, 2011 at 07:44.
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 18:49   #2
TomW

Didn't realise it was as simple as that. You forgot to factor in that running on lpg you will get 20% less miles to the gallon. That will mean you have to drive considerably more than your 17000 miles before you pay for the outfit.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 19:53   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Those prices are fitted.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 19:59   #4
brodgar
I've Been Banned

What I wrote was a very rough guidline, which can be adjusted to
the carspecific situation.
I am well aware of the lesser caloric value of a liter of lpg in relation to patrol.
20% is a high value.
15 % is more realistic.

In my example it would add 15% to 17.000 miles so you will still stay
under 20.000 miles.
This a more accurate quantification than """considerably moore""".

================================================== ===

the intention of my thread was giving a rough guidline about the economics
of installing an lpg.

I was hammered several times in the past by wrong preconceptions.
Why do you install an 1500 pound lpg kit in a car thats hardly worth
500 gbp???
Well, I did, drove 50.000 miles with it in that specific car(volvo760gle V6).
and now reinstalled it in my 240 estate having done another 20.000miles.
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 14:42   #5
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Default Don't forget the insurance!!!

I did my own conversion. Had a real hassle with our insurers who despite telling us that it wouldn't affect the policy subsequently cancelled the policy.

Do the conversion, BUT get the ok in writing from your insurer before you start drilling holes in your vehicle.
Joe Harding is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Harding For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 17:53   #6
Andy_Gibson
Turbo-Charged

which insurance company was that out of interest
I'm with admiral and they didn't charge any extra
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 18:12   #7
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Gibson View Post
which insurance company was that out of interest
I'm with admiral and they didn't charge any extra
DO you know, I really can't remember. I could ask, but it was some time ago. They originally said it was fine, and there would be no extra charge. (But we didn't get that in writing.)
After the work was done, they simply cut us loose to find another insurer. All the insurers we approached wanted a certificate signed by an official installer, and guess what...? None of the installers would supply a cert. unless they did the work themselves.

In the end we found a garage in Monmouth, (Rage Motors) who inspected my work, made a couple of recommendations (well orders really) for things that needed doing better, then when I emailed him the photo evidence that the alterations were done he sent me the cert. BTW he's a decent chap, worth approaching if you want the work done for you.

Finally ended up with some insurance company (I'll find out who and post later) who covered the car and threw in a vintage vehicle cover whereby you can agree a valuation. (After all the vehicle's value is usually more with an LPG system on board.)

This worked a treat when a Jaguar rammed the back, (Flattening the bumper but you should have seen the Jag...!). The car was written off, (Being 25 years old and a 340) and we got the full agreed value. After fitting another s/h bumper we're back in business with another agreed valuation in the post.
Joe Harding is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Harding For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 22:27   #8
940_Turbo

Your sums are wrong as it'll use significantly more LPG that it will petrol.

My 940 consistently does 20mpg running on LPG. Therefore to do 1000 miles will take 50 gallons of fuel or 227 litres. Locally LPG cost 73.9p per litre so 1000 miles will cost me £167 There is very little variation in consumption on LPG.

It'll do 28 to the gallon on petrol without trying too hard, I've seen 36 out of it but that is difficult and exceptional. At 28 to the gallon 1000 miles will use 35 gallons of petrol or 160 litres. Locally petrol costs £1.359 per litre so 1000 miles will cost £217

The gas therefore saves me £50 every 1000 miles, therefore in order to earn back the £1500 conversion cost at current fuel prices I'd need to do 30K miles. I've now done just over 160K miles in the car, most of it but by no means all on LPG.

For me the sums were better as the gas prices was rather more attractive compared to petrol prices when I converted my car. Don't forget though that the gas people want to service the gas installation. I've had it done once and it cost me £230. Also some of the components are lifed, my car ought to have the filler changed apparently. I've not yet bothered going back to have it done.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 13:48   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
Your sums are wrong as it'll use significantly more LPG that it will petrol.

My 940 consistently does 20mpg running on LPG. Therefore to do 1000 miles will take 50 gallons of fuel or 227 litres. Locally LPG cost 73.9p per litre so 1000 miles will cost me £167 There is very little variation in consumption on LPG.

It'll do 28 to the gallon on petrol without trying too hard, I've seen 36 out of it but that is difficult and exceptional. At 28 to the gallon 1000 miles will use 35 gallons of petrol or 160 litres. Locally petrol costs £1.359 per litre so 1000 miles will cost £217

The gas therefore saves me £50 every 1000 miles, therefore in order to earn back the £1500 conversion cost at current fuel prices I'd need to do 30K miles. I've now done just over 160K miles in the car, most of it but by no means all on LPG.

For me the sums were better as the gas prices was rather more attractive compared to petrol prices when I converted my car. Don't forget though that the gas people want to service the gas installation. I've had it done once and it cost me £230. Also some of the components are lifed, my car ought to have the filler changed apparently. I've not yet bothered going back to have it done.
Am a bit surprised at the difference in the LPG consumption figures vs the petrol. My converted V70 2.5 10v auto does between 250 and 280 miles per 45 litres of gas, depending on how it's driven, and how much the aircon is on!

That's between 11.5 and 13p per mile. Our S70 (also a 2.5 10v auto) returns petrol mpg of between 26 and 30, which at current pump prices of £1.32/litre is around 20p per mile.

I had the conversion done back in the days when LPG was 29p/litre and petrol around 70p. LPG was then around 45% of the price of petrol, now it's nearer to 55%, but still a pretty good alternative.

The other thing that's surprising is a 'gas service for £230' as mentioned. All mine has ever needed is a new filter (every 15,000 miles) at around £12, plus a visual check and the ECU resetting. The whole job takes about 20 minutes and costs no more than £25.I don't think that in 6 or 7 years and 190,000 miles of LPG motoring I've spent any more than about £250 in total on LPG servicing.

This last time it was checked the operating fuel pressure had dropped just below 1bar - but that's the first time it's ever needed any adjustment!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 19:03   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

£230 for service is a joke. That is major repair work costs. service should cost between £20 and £60 depending on the system and work carried out.

20MPG for a 9 series turbo is quite poor for a multi point system. The average one that I have converted does around 25MPG upwards on LPG. My T5 does 25mpg on short runs on petrol and 20 on LPG and I think that is quite bad. On a run the consumption is much better and evens out between the two.

For a Multi point system 20% should be the biggest drop in consumption. With some cars it is possible to actualy get better MPG on LPG than petrol but they are few and far between.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:

Tags
installing costs, savings