Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Skid Plate - repaint

Views : 17260

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 20:51   #1
BestGear
Master Member

Default Front Skid Plate - repaint

HI Guys

Just a quick question here - I have read of several folks using Smoothrite Silver to repaint the front skid plate.

Can anyone comment, having done it, how good a colour match the Smoothrite is to the original Volvo skid plate colour?

Many thanks

David
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 02:18   #2
Jim314
Premier Member

Have you considered painting the front skidplate black? I have thought of getting the one on my wife's 2007 XC90 painted black with heavy duty pickup truck bed liner paint. To me the brightly colored skidplate is gaudy. Of course, she would have to be in full agreement.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 11:33   #3
BestGear
Master Member

Hi Jim

I did wonder about other colours, but as I have just bought a rear skid plate (new) I just wanted to smarten the front up as it has several stone chips... hence I wanted a farly good match.

David
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 11:35   #4
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
HI Guys

Just a quick question here - I have read of several folks using Smoothrite Silver to repaint the front skid plate.

Can anyone comment, having done it, how good a colour match the Smoothrite is to the original Volvo skid plate colour?

Many thanks

David
when I bought my xc the plate was tatty and I had some silver smoothrite in the shed so a quick wire brush and repaint and I think the results are acceptable, to me anyway, I know some on the forum have gone to some lengths to have them refinished, its personal choice in the end
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 12:40   #5
artwilliam

Someone on here got theirs powder coated by a local paintshop for very little money - I think this is what I'll do with mine.

Are they easy to remove? Does anyone have a pic of the bolt locations?
artwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 13:33   #6
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwilliam View Post
Someone on here got theirs powder coated by a local paintshop for very little money - I think this is what I'll do with mine.

Are they easy to remove? Does anyone have a pic of the bolt locations?
Hi

I did consider power coating as its a good quality finish... although the downside is that when it gets damaged with stone chips, then its hard to fix as bead blasting it off again and re-coating is a big hassle. Also, if powercoat gets punctured, water can get under it and rust away without you noticing.

At least smoothrite is durable and should last a good while - and is cheap and easy to fix.

With regards to removal - I have not looked but expect it will be an easy job!

David
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 19:15   #7
In Reverse

I did mine with smoothrite and it looks perfect, really freshens up the front of my 05 XC90. The silver seems to match very well and looks perfect as my car is silver.

If I recall correctly its only 4 bolts easily visible to remove, drops down and forward. Had to be fairly careful replacing so as not to scratch the fresh paint were it goes past intecooler pipes and lower edge of front bumper.

Quick and easy job.
In Reverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 13:12   #8
BestGear
Master Member

Thanks for the replies Guys

I have just received a rear skid plate to fit - a bit of a surprise!

I had expected something of the stature matching the front skid plate...but - its a flimsy piece of plastic!

The plastic is moulded in silver and looks ok.... but I am sure will not match in any way the existing or refinished front skid plate... which is a shame, but I suppose of no consequence as you never see the two of them together...

David
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 16:22   #9
Arianne
Premier Member

Hi BestGear (David),

'tis true that the rear skid plate on the 2002-06 XC90 is a bit underwhelming. It's an effective 'fake' when mounted though and, unlike it's front-end cousin, won't chip or corrode.

I had it fitted when we bought our XC90 from new in 2006 and it looks as good today as it did the day it was fitted. It's purely cosmetic. At the time it ws only £147 dealer fit option so .....you get what you pay for....I guess.

Overall, I'm glad to have gone for it at the time although I prefer the 2007- MY rear end bumper plates. Sadly these are not compatable with the pre-2007 MY bumpers due to the moulding.

Best wishes, Arianne.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arianne For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 22:48   #10
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Hi BestGear (David),

'tis true that the rear skid plate on the 2002-06 XC90 is a bit underwhelming. It's an effective 'fake' when mounted though and, unlike it's front-end cousin, won't chip or corrode.

I had it fitted when we bought our XC90 from new in 2006 and it looks as good today as it did the day it was fitted. It's purely cosmetic. At the time it ws only £147 dealer fit option so .....you get what you pay for....I guess.

Overall, I'm glad to have gone for it at the time although I prefer the 2007- MY rear end bumper plates. Sadly these are not compatable with the pre-2007 MY bumpers due to the moulding.

Best wishes, Arianne.

Hi Arianne

Good to see a fellow Scot on here.. I am not far up the road from you!

Yes, I paid just over £100 for it... supply only (delivered) and as you say... its 1 £3 bit of plastic!

It does finish the rear end though... so regardless o fcost, its worth it.

Can I ask where you get your xc90- serviced? Is it Clelands?

David