Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Moving to SUV

Views : 1709

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread : Hadajag

Old Jan 25th, 2024, 10:39   #1
Franko1960

Default Moving to SUV

Circumstances have changed for me and I am now on the lookout for a SUV.
Looked at the Kia Sportage GTS and Nissan X-Trail Techna.

Whats is everyone's opinion on the XC60. I have built an XC60 plus dark edition, petrol 250 bhp with towbar online and the lease monthly payment looks affordable.

Would be interested on hearing from current 2023 XC60 owners opinions.
Has the google software problems been sorted?

Thank you in advance
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 13:12   #2
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

The are no Google problems IMO, there are old Sensus users incompatible with AAOS

On the software side it lacks Android auto and doesn't have whatsApp, main downer for me but not the end of the world.

Some don't like that it can't play back media from USB, again no issue for me.

Otherwise the XC60 is an awesome SUV, because its on the lower side, it's a bit small for such a big footprint of car IMO, probably doesn't have much more space that the others you are looking at but built well and drives well.

Last edited by sandys; Jan 25th, 2024 at 13:15.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandys For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 13:17   #3
James77

AAOS is still being developed it lacks useful features the mature SENSUS system has in place yet. From what I can tell you need to spend more time looking at the centre screen with AAOS. Wonder if the journey history appeared on the AAOS app yet be interesting to know if that is now operational as it's very useful feature.

Last edited by James77; Jan 25th, 2024 at 13:21.
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 14:22   #4
Hadajag

Journey logs have worked for me on AAOS via the app for around 18 months. The only thing it gets wrong is the MPG.
It is very rare in fact can't remember that I have to use centre screen when driving as I find I can do all I need by voice commands.
Music on USB can be played via.a downloadable app.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 14:26   #5
piorunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
The are no Google problems IMO, there are old Sensus users incompatible with AAOS

(...)

Some don't like that it can't play back media from USB, again no issue for me.
Lol, downgrades in functionality are a good thing now. So you are saying that taking away the ability of any pre-recorded playback, apart from your wireless device which you must take to the car with you, is a step forward, yes? What if I want to play music without a smartphone connected via bluetooth and configured, and song selected in the phone to play?

What if I told you, that I start the car and music starts playing automatically and I don't need to do anything or even go on a trip without a phone with me?

Not to mention taking away performance mode selector knob, now it has to be done in tablet menu... Very poor decisions. That being said, I am not in a hurry to move from 2021 XC60 T8, I will gain nothing.

Last edited by piorunz; Jan 25th, 2024 at 14:49.
piorunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 14:29   #6
Stu22

We have a MY22 XC60 B5P and very happy with the car, much prefer AAOS over the previous Sensus offering of our previous Volvo

My wife loves the car and she's not vaguely interested in anything automotive, she really didn't like the previous XC40 with Sensus.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 14:37   #7
Simon703

Have owned a 2023 T8 ultimate since Nov, replaced 2020 petrol which replaced a 2017 Range Rover Sport. If you want to know what electrical faults are then buy a JLR product. Best move I ever made getting the XC60 as a replacement. Moving on to the Hybrid was another best move, always sceptical of benefits but would not now go back to ICE.
No tangible issues with move from Sensus to Google.
Had a courtesy V90 for a few days which reminded me of how the raised seating position was easier to access for me, but still able to lower air suspension for aged parents to access.
In all a great car, if you can stretch to a hybrid then i wouldn’t hesitate. I was always anti for the usual list repeated by the uneducated you talk to. Having become educated then no going back.
Simon703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 16:40   #8
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
Lol, downgrades in functionality are a good thing now.
That's all about perspective, there are no down grades for me as I have no prior Volvo experience or expectations, my car has the functionality it had when I bought and accepted it, that Volvo keep updating it and adding stuff is a bonus.

I only know sensus from a loan car and I wouldn't want that.

Last edited by sandys; Jan 25th, 2024 at 16:43.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 19:07   #9
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
Lol, downgrades in functionality are a good thing now. So you are saying that taking away the ability of any pre-recorded playback, apart from your wireless device which you must take to the car with you, is a step forward, yes? What if I want to play music without a smartphone connected via bluetooth and configured, and song selected in the phone to play?

What if I told you, that I start the car and music starts playing automatically and I don't need to do anything or even go on a trip without a phone with me?

Not to mention taking away performance mode selector knob, now it has to be done in tablet menu... Very poor decisions. That being said, I am not in a hurry to move from 2021 XC60 T8, I will gain nothing.
As Sandys says, perspective is key here. My phone is only connected via bluetooth incase anyone phones me, I use it for nothing else in my car. All my media is either streamed via Spotify (using the cars inbuilt modem and inclusive data) or on DAB so for me, not being able to play from a USB or having to have my phone connected are not issues and as such, I have no downgrading in functionality.

Having owned both a Sensus T8 and an AAOS T8, I can safely say that the AAOS car is far superior. There is the odd bit I miss slightly (the drive mode knob and steering wheel paddle shifter being the only 2 I can think of) but all of the benefits vastly outway those 2 very minor niggles.
The in-built Google maps navigation is eons ahead of the Sensus navigation system, Infotainment is loads faster in response and operation in general and the voice commands are much improved allowing alot of the functions that used to be easily accessible on Sensus to be operated via voice command.

Yes, AAOS isn't perfect but with every Over the Air software update (another benefit over Sensus that requires the dealer to do updates), the system gets better (mostly) but yes, the system does have the odd hickup and require the odd reset but so does your personal computer or mobile phone these days, technology is technology.
All that before I even head towards the upgraded drivetrain in the AAOS T8's.

AAOS for the win in my view, other views are available.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 21:34   #10
yellowbentines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
As Sandys says, perspective is key here. My phone is only connected via bluetooth incase anyone phones me, I use it for nothing else in my car. All my media is either streamed via Spotify (using the cars inbuilt modem and inclusive data) or on DAB so for me, not being able to play from a USB or having to have my phone connected are not issues and as such....
Same here, in fact when someone mentions it not having Android Auto I wonder what additional benefits that would offer as I have an Android phone and my XC60 charges it wirelessly, I can play any song I want via Spotify by using voice control and commanding Google to play it, make calls on my phone contacts again using voice commands, and the same again for the built in nav?

What exactly would Android Auto add over that (IMO excellent) functionality?
yellowbentines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowbentines For This Useful Post: