Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR Valve

Views : 17061

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 13:51   #21
VeeFourTee

Mine's getting a new EGR valve next week. Suffered from sudden power loss on acceleration from stand-still and slow speed.

Dealer has been very helpful however.
VeeFourTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 22:55   #22
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeFourTee View Post
Mine's getting a new EGR valve next week. Suffered from sudden power loss on acceleration from stand-still and slow speed.

Dealer has been very helpful however.

I suffered the same problem, on my worst EGR failure, mostly it's just been me compalaining about how the car is running. Mine went to limp mode in rush hour traffic, when the lights went to green. I was less than amused...

Chooch
Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 04:15   #23
shimon340

hi there

The EGR valve on the petrol 4 cylinders is a different to that on the diesels

The EGR issue on the 2.0 diesel is now solved with new software and also an upgrade valve.

due to the working environment of the valves, it isnt uncommon on any car for them to jam either open or closed... usually after a decent mileage though

im currently aware of the following manufacturers with unsolved EGR issues, hesitation, judder concerns

Honda (all diesels)
Mitsubishi
Renault
Nissan
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 04:27   #24
shimon340

ah.. one other thing....

Im aware of at least three manufacturers where a jammed open or closed EGR valve doesnt log a fault code. there isnt a feedback system to check the "EGR open" request is actually followed by "EGR open sensor response"

its a harsh environment inside the exhaust so the only sensors there are lambda/oxy sensors.

im thinking volvo also hasnt got the valve position sensor/fault code etc given that symptoms dont give any fault codes

if you have a dealer who overly relies on the diagnosis codes you may have a frustrating situation (unfortunately) getting them to admit there is a fault

if you have a dealer who overly relies on the computer codes etc, write to customer service stating your concern about that dealer. letter complaints are logged in a better manner to incoming calls. if they get enough of those sort of complaints.... volvo uk will move to reassess some trainng at that dealer.

here is another non-fault code scenario

not a volvo involved in this one

automatic 4 year old car keep stalling when on full lock. chat with customer shows it happens on left or right lock in both drive and reverse

if you keep away from full lock the car wont stall

car went to the garage 4 times and was sent away with "there are no codes present"

the actual fault??? a failing power steering pump which when operating on full load was struggling to spin properly and was stalling the engine

there is a problem with modern mechanics overly relying on the diagnostic system....
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 20:42   #25
7050man
Master Member

Just to add my unhappy experience this week.
My 2 yr old E4 2.0D V50 had similar symptom this week. Scenario was this:
Driving on motorway at just under 60 waiting to go past an HGV which was overtaking another. When road clear to go immediately noticed that car didn't feel right (no response), so a bit more throttle and car lost power.
Clutch in and rev engine - would not rev freely and definately not above 2500 revs with foot flat on floor.
Ok to drive at no more than 60 but struggles above that. Stopped at next services- car idles fine, stop engine and restart with no problems, but problem still apparent. Stop and wait 15mins before restarting and fault not there anymore.
Now take car to dealer with engine still working fine at this point. Diagnostics indicating fault code and pointing to sensor on top of engine next to battery that I'm told samples air before and after cat filter in exhaust and has some bearing on egr system (not sure of name). Technician said that this was full of water and would need replacing.
Does anyone know what this thing might be and are they prone to condensation? It does sound slightly suspect to me as I've never had this before and car was dry, warmed up and A/C was not on. Car has again failed but I I'm awaiting this part to be fitted so I'll let everyone know the result.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 20:56   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

Its a differential pressor sensor , measures the pressure drop across the particle filter so the system knows when it is blocking and when to run the regeneration process ... It comes with the two pipes . Nothing to do with the EGR system this time...
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 21:05   #27
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Its a differential pressor sensor , measures the pressure drop across the particle filter so the system knows when it is blocking and when to run the regeneration process ... It comes with the two pipes . Nothing to do with the EGR system this time...
Thanks Clan. Any thoughts on how it might have been full of water, bearing in mind that car was warm, weather was dry and no A/C on?
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 21:10   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

well with every gallon of fuel burned a gallon of water goes out the exhaust , just condensation , perhaps the sensor failed allowing gas to pass up one tube and down the other and the water vapour condensed in the cold stainless steel pipes ...
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:45   #29
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well with every gallon of fuel burned a gallon of water goes out the exhaust , just condensation , perhaps the sensor failed allowing gas to pass up one tube and down the other and the water vapour condensed in the cold stainless steel pipes ...
Thanks again for reply. I'll have a look at the failed sensor on Monday, as that's when it's being replaced.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 15:01   #30
Morrisav

Unhappy S40 power loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
I have a 05 Volvo S40 2.0d SE, I have had nothing but trouble with it from day one. I have allegedly had a new EGR valve (Exhaust Emmision Control Valve) fitted due to sudden and unexpected power loss, and now the car seems to have developed the same fault again and is going to the dealers next week.

Has any one had a similar problem and should Volvo be recalling the cars to have these changed as a matter of course, or has there been a general recall that the dealers have not complied with.

Any thoughts. Would I buy another Volvo ? not a chance.
We thought we were the only ones with this problem! Our SE Sport 2006 model has been back 4 times in the last 5 weeks and it is still not right. We had a new EGR valve 12 months ago and everything was fine until now. The garage keep downloading 'software' to fix it but it doesn't! So it's going back again tomorrow, another 50 mile round trip and we still feel it will come back the same. We have only power up to 2000 revs in first 4 gears then if you get into 5th it's fine.
Morrisav is offline   Reply With Quote