Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Alignment

Views : 1062

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 23:03   #11
arctan

Default Alignment, continued.

Thanks Luke and Dave. I think I'll start with just balancing, followed by the ball joint, and probably spaceship poly bushes at the same time. And look in to alignment strategies later.What a delight it must be to have good steering! And I do appreciate the idea of having the gear vs paying out for a questionable result. In my earlier careers (sound engineering and network management) I was quite in to test and measurement. In the meantime there is a list of to do's that I have to prioritise, and sort over the next few months. So, thanks again, and best of luck with your lovely Volvos.
arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arctan For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:33   #12
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Wheel wobble

Wheel wobble somtimes developes when the tyres wear. When there is an front wheel unbalance at both sides, with constant speed you sometimes feel the vibration in the steering wheel come and go in long motorway bends. As the wheels rotate at slightly different speed the relative position of the unbalance OS/NS changes, causing the vibration to even out and to reinforce.
Just have your wheels balanced as a first action. I suggest not to go to one of the national tyre discounters but to a local workshop. I took mine to a local tyre shop and was surprised that he first checked the unbalance before taking off the balacing weights (the KwikFit guys take off the weight before even starting, so you can't complain afterwards that the balacing was not necessary...). When he later used a manual torque wrench on the wheel nuts I knew where I am going next time.
The balancing cured my steering wheel vibration, but did nothing to the vibration while braking.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 03:19   #13
arctan

Can anyone see the part number for Volvo spaceship bushes, please. Just doing a 'compared with poly' ...
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 08:00   #14
Ian21401
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Rversteeg;2550465,
The balancing cured my steering wheel vibration, but did nothing to the vibration while braking.[/QUOTE]

That could be caused by a faulty brake disc. Just replaced the front discs on my daughter’s XC70. She reported vibration through the pedal and steering wheel when breaking normally. Check revealed a “high spot” on FOS disc. Changed both discs and pads. No more vibration.

Ian.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 08:32   #15
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Faulty disc

I had the discs changed last year, so that could be the case. I had the same problem with the previous disc change, but I had those skimmed. It cured the vibrations for a short while, but when they came back I had them changed for OEM discs (whatever those might have been). No more problems since.
Before changing the current discs again I am going to try the bedding-in method described here (https://alconkits.com/support/brake-...d-brake-rotors) will do any good.
I understood that the 940 front wheel set-up is quite sensitive to braking vibrations, just as the Opel/Vauxhall Omega was. But in the Omega case time has solved this, as there are hardly any around anymore...
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 23:39   #16
arctan

Just to say I had the fronts balanced, and the slight (but worrying) downhill wobble has gone.
(Cheaper than discs then!).
Having been focusing on the front end, I can now feel that it is less than perfect, so I will get the advisory 'slight left lower front ball joint play' attended to, then do the bushes- probably both ends of the bar. Maybe Poly for the spaceship and rubber for the body end? And I might buy the alignment kit, and deploy it in conjunction with my friendly Volvo restorer. I'll need to make some 'swivel plates'...
Thanks as always to everyone for their input!
PS: to save me asking later, can anyone suggest the toe in values for 16 inch wheels please?
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 09:47   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctan View Post
Just to say I had the fronts balanced, and the slight (but worrying) downhill wobble has gone.
(Cheaper than discs then!).
Having been focusing on the front end, I can now feel that it is less than perfect, so I will get the advisory 'slight left lower front ball joint play' attended to, then do the bushes- probably both ends of the bar. Maybe Poly for the spaceship and rubber for the body end? And I might buy the alignment kit, and deploy it in conjunction with my friendly Volvo restorer. I'll need to make some 'swivel plates'...
Thanks as always to everyone for their input!
PS: to save me asking later, can anyone suggest the toe in values for 16 inch wheels please?
The big thing to remember John is when working with suspension, brakes, steering etc, what you do to one side, you must do to the other. In other words, if you renew bushes one side, you need to do the bushes the other side. It can throw things out of balance such as braking effort if you don't - this is particularly true with things like brake pads and shock absorbers.

As for the wheel alignment settings, the degrees, minutes and seconds is 0d, 18' 0" +/- 8' toe-in which should cover all wheel sizes.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 00:18   #18
arctan

Many thanks for the settings Dave. And I'll definitely be doing the bushes on both sides for the sake of completeness, and balance!