Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear washer Torslander 240

Views : 1716

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2016, 21:40   #1
BassplayerSteve

Default Rear washer Torslander 240

Hi all, can anyone tell me how the rear washer spray nozzle can be detached on a Torslander tailgate? - It has stopped working!
The water spray pump works (there's 2 - front & rear) - I've tried poking the spray nozzle with a fine needle threader to see if it's blocked & also have tried blowing down the water tube (seems blocked).
My thinking is a dissemble to see what's going on at the nozzle end is in oder.
Suggestions/solutions welcome!
BassplayerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 11:11   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

It's a very poorly constructed component. Basically the nozzle just presses into the hole in the roof, so you have to waggle it out gently. The hose just pulls off (don't lose it inside the roof space).
The nozzle is in two parts, with a kind of outer cover, and the water path goes round a sharp bend inside so it's hard to poke through. It doesn't have a proper jet like the ones on the bonnet, just a slit with a hole in soft plastic.

I've sometimes mused on the idea of replacing it with something better.
Once you've prised it off once it never goes back on properly, and flaps about loose in the hole. If it's not blocked then a bit of the water dribbles down the screen. Other cars seem to have proper screen washers that spray the car behind as well as your own tailgate.

I think the real problem is the long run of pipe and the low pressure at the end of it. It needs a second washer bottle and pump inside the offside access flap, and then a decent jet on the pillar.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 13:26   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The tors should have the washer jet in the tailgate rather than the older in pillar type. Not had to take on out but should be similar to the older style to remove. You should be able to replace with a bonnet type jet.
The 70 and very early 80 estates had a bottle and pump located in the rhs rear wheel well. I think volvo moved away from the both for cost and also so simplify topping up the screen wash. I could be a right pain when the boot was loaded up and the screen wash had ran out.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 14:09   #4
Yaxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassplayerSteve View Post
Hi all, can anyone tell me how the rear washer spray nozzle can be detached on a Torslander tailgate? - It has stopped working!
My thinking is a dissemble to see what's going on at the nozzle end is in oder.
Suggestions/solutions welcome!
The tailgate mounted nozzle is in two parts, the plain outer cover has the spray nozzle in it, and it just pulls off - BUT, be careful, try to pull it by firmly gripping the outer cover. If you pry it away from the tailgate it is difficult not to pry the base, which needs to stay where it is.

If you do pry the base out of its hole in the hatch it can sometimes be revived using hot water to get it back to its original shape.

If it goes wrong the part number is 1369855, and I have got a new one available (I have recently sold my two remaining Volvos and am clearing out parts)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Washer.jpg (199.2 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Yaxley; Jan 16th, 2016 at 14:44. Reason: Pic added
Yaxley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yaxley For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 21:39   #5
BassplayerSteve

[QUOTE=Yaxley;2042491]The tailgate mounted nozzle is in two parts, the plain outer cover has the spray nozzle in it, and it just pulls off - BUT, be careful, try to pull it by firmly gripping the outer cover. If you pry it away from the tailgate it is difficult not to pry the base, which needs to stay where it is.

If you do pry the base out of its hole in the hatch it can sometimes be revived using hot water to get it back to its original shape.

Hi, thanks all for the useful info re this - I prised off the outer nozzle & cleaned it in warm soapy water, but it was still blocked. The washer pump worked - it sprayed a jet backwards without the nozzle! I poked the slit clean with some thin wire - tried again - still blocked - then took a 5mm drill bit & carefully cleaned out the tube assembly on the nozzle & bingo! a working rear wash.
BassplayerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BassplayerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 21:43   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Glad you got it sorted
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 13:28   #7
Mick S

Hi, Do you still have the new rear nozzle.
Mick.
Mick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 02:22   #8
Yaxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick S View Post
Hi, Do you still have the new rear nozzle.
Mick.
If you refer to the one I mentioned it was sold a while back (also the used one).....

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=259121
Yaxley is offline   Reply With Quote