Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dealer service stories

Views : 8740

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2019, 11:20   #61
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J30 YAP View Post
I know it is easy to do, if you have a 64gb usb stick that is. Plus it takes a while to install it.

Well, According to VOLVO.

“When you have your car serviced at a Volvo dealership, we make a pledge to you. It's called the Volvo Service Promise - and it guarantees an unbeatable combination of quality, reassurance and expertise. First, your personal service advisor will deal with any of your questions and make sure you get to where you need to go. Our expert technicians will then give your car a full health check including a free software upgrade to ensure that it's performing at its best. Finally, we'll provide you with 12 months' complimentary Volvo Roadside Assistance and a car wash.”

So a software upgrade doesn’t include any relevant software update?
It's been argued before whether the "free software upgrade" should include map updates. When I had my V40s there was a long discussion on another forum on this subject. IIRC in that case the dealer agreed to update the maps, so asking the dealer may be the best course of action.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 12:57   #62
xsaab
Master Member

The map maintenance process now is very different from the download the whole set of maps, it is possible to do it country or region at a time, collect the data via a 4G sim either directly in the car or use the wifi hotspot on the smartphone to retrieve the information via 4G or 3G service while one is driving. The navigation system is not disabled while the data is being received but is applied when the engine is stopped. So an almost transparent to the user type process.

My thoughts are that if one was going to a foreign land you would not download the map updates until you were in the foreign land or when driving to the ferry port as long as it was about an hours drive away.

However this may all fall apart if the foreign mobile phone networks charge UK users as if they are from a different part of the world.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 14:39   #63
ripstandem

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewlime View Post
Well I never to decide if I'm going to use:

Stoneacre Volvo Sheffield; 15mins, 5mls from home

Or

Riverside Volvo Doncaster; 30mins, 25mls from home

I've only heard good things about Doncaster, haven't heard anything either way about Sheffield. Anybody got any experience with Sheffield?
Just bought from Riverside Wakefield can recommend them, not used them for service usually go to Huddersfield, may have a change next year.
ripstandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 12:32   #64
IguanaMAM
On My Second Volvo....

Default Holdcroft Volvo - Stoke-on-Trent

Took my MY19 XC60 T5 for it's first service on Friday 27th Sept. The service from Holdcroft in Stoke was absolutely sublime from start to finish. Great comms on progress. Car was absolutely spotless inside and out when I picked it up with a complimentary bottle of water and mints in the centre console with an apology for moving the drivers seat position. Courtesy car was also spotless. John and Sonia did the brand proud!
IguanaMAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 15:25   #65
uksteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IguanaMAM View Post
Took my MY19 XC60 T5 for it's first service on Friday 27th Sept. The service from Holdcroft in Stoke was absolutely sublime from start to finish. Great comms on progress. Car was absolutely spotless inside and out when I picked it up with a complimentary bottle of water and mints in the centre console with an apology for moving the drivers seat position. Courtesy car was also spotless. John and Sonia did the brand proud!
I can second that vote for Holdcroft Stoke , I have posted on the service costs thread similar regarding my first service experience with my S90 last week.
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 21:21   #66
mrlossyman

Squire Faunux Leatherhead - my car will never go near that place again. Expensive and utterly terrible service. My experience with Volvo Swansea however was excellent, absolutely could not fault them.
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 13:37   #67
Deman77
Master Member

Following from my original story. Having waited for collection availability for customary two weeks mine came from the visit to resolve software update failure. To remind, that was attributed to computer problems when I confronted them but never mentioned to me in service report (got a nice software update booklet in fact). It has magically been updated with no computer issues. Two services in a row - fail to update software but it works when I insist afterwards. The easiest explanation is usually correct - my dealer systematically fails to update software during service relying on costumer not noticing and then makes up lame excuses when confronted.
Marshal Bishop Stortford.
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 15:47   #68
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Following from my original story. Having waited for collection availability for customary two weeks mine came from the visit to resolve software update failure. To remind, that was attributed to computer problems when I confronted them but never mentioned to me in service report (got a nice software update booklet in fact). It has magically been updated with no computer issues. Two services in a row - fail to update software but it works when I insist afterwards. The easiest explanation is usually correct - my dealer systematically fails to update software during service relying on costumer not noticing and then makes up lame excuses when confronted.
Marshal Bishop Stortford.
you need to report that to a higher level , It is contravening the trade description act for one thing and also volvos official franchise standards , someone is making considerably more money to go in their pockets due to yours and other peoples expense . The full software update is a mandatory part of the service ..
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 17:05   #69
Deman77
Master Member

I did raise with volvo uk. Once is an error but twice is a pattern. They didn’t seem that concerned, asked my permission to pass my complaint to the dealer. But, honestly, I don’t want to waste time on this. I will gain nothing but stress from this. I did want to warn others to watch out but it seems like an isolated thing as most people seem very happy with theirs.
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 17:55   #70
garethXC

"The full software update is a mandatory part of the service "

... is there any (easy) way to tell if this actually gets done?
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote