Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

considering a V70R

Views : 1596

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2018, 19:11   #11
Bigfella666
Premier Member

SDG

No worries buddy.

Have to say I have no idea as to why the P3's seem to command so much money and my experience was much the same as yours. For what it is worth my R is AWD with the propshaft removed - a common scenario. With the AWD seems to me you have to have cash filled pockets or be well versed in the various common problems which will appear during ownership and have the time to deal with them.

Perhaps I have just been lucky with the T5 or taken the reward of a regular service regime - especially since I started doing it all myself.
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 15:15   #12
ernie bluenose

Hi,
I feel i must take issue with Steve440 regarding the ME7 cars.
Even if the ETM does go wrong they are not that difficult or expensive to fix. There are other things on these cars that can cost just as much if not more to put right.

My 1999 V70 T5 has been owned for over 9 years and in that time it has ticked over at a steady 900rpm every day. If it plays up tomorrow i would feel its had a good run.

No doubt some people have had bad experiences but lets put things into perspective. Ernie.
ernie bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 16:56   #13
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie bluenose View Post
Hi,
I feel i must take issue with Steve440 regarding the ME7 cars.
Even if the ETM does go wrong they are not that difficult or expensive to fix. There are other things on these cars that can cost just as much if not more to put right.

My 1999 V70 T5 has been owned for over 9 years and in that time it has ticked over at a steady 900rpm every day. If it plays up tomorrow i would feel its had a good run.

No doubt some people have had bad experiences but lets put things into perspective. Ernie.
Agreed - the ETM issue is always overstated imo. I've had two ME7 V70's - a 2.4T was the last one, I ran it for 6 years with the ETS light on, with no physical issues at all.
I dare say others will have horror stories though.....
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 20:57   #14
Steve440
Quicksilver

Having reviewed my post I never said anything about ME7 having ETM problems so no need to "take issue" with me! If you read my post I simply said if he'd owned an 850R the V70R is pretty much the same unless it's got Me7 or awd and that their all getting on a bit now, no slight to Me7 owners.
Steve440 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve440 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 00:53   #15
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve440 View Post
Having reviewed my post I never said anything about ME7 having ETM problems so no need to "take issue" with me! If you read my post I simply said if he'd owned an 850R the V70R is pretty much the same unless it's got Me7 or awd and that their all getting on a bit now, no slight to Me7 owners.
Yap, AWD with the AW55 box. Apparently because they're Laser Blue their worth 7 or 8k though..... 😂 😂 😂
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 12:40   #16
frazz
Master Member

Smile

Have to be honest reading this thread, sounds as if AWD Auto's (especially 97/98s) are complete money drains? my car (Sept 97 R AWD Auto) in one month shy of six years of ownership has had no major costly faults, it still is four wheel drive and running the wishbones I bought it with,
Tried to sell it a few months back (no interest) so will now spend a few quid (does now need n/side wishbone) and a few other minor fixes alloy refurb etc, and just run occasionally,,
TBH if your intention is to use one of these as an everyday car, the way unleaded is going (price wise) they will be costly to run,
Good luck anyhow,,
frazz is offline   Reply With Quote