Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting an XC70 back on the road

Views : 1756

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2018, 19:31   #21
custardavenger

Cheers reggit

Will probably fix it anyway as the whole lot is apart as it might help hold the contact in place. I think that was compounding problems that the lamp holder wasn't seated right without it.
custardavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 12:40   #22
custardavenger

Hi All

So latest update for those following my progress.

I HAVE AN MOT!!! woop

That said their are a few advisories and I have been driving it to work this week which has alerted me to a few other issues and things I can live with or definitely want to fix.

So
I have knocking on the rear drivers side suspension. Having seen how complicated the suspension is when doing the exhaust this is a worry and I'm not sure if aftermarket parts are available for the XC. Either way will need investigating.

There was a noise when turning right but I think that has gone. Sometimes there is a knock on full lock sometimes also.

I think when I can sort out what is wrong with the rear suspension I'll get it 4 wheel aligned as the handling is a bit odd.

Having never owned a diesel before I'm not sure how they drive but this seems ridiculously slow from stationary then the turbo starts working and it takes off. Is this normal? It's a real pain at roundabouts as you see a gap and by the time the car is moving you have missed it and have to hit the brakes before the car propels you into next next car when the power comes in. I have got round this by holding the car on the brakes with my left foot and putting the power on.

CD player seems to have CDs jammed in it. Haynes says that after removing the pen holder and the two screws the heater module should just pop out, Can't get it to do that, advice would be great.
It also doesn't say how to remove the stereo so advice on that would be great too.
Not sure which way to go with the stereo. I could put in a single din head unit I have but the adapters seem to remove the cup holder. I could get a parrot kit and use that for MP3 and phone.
Either way I want to get this stereo out to try and fix and see the connections.

Info screen not working is really annoying. It works sometimes so not sure if it's a dry joint or something. I will investigate.

Not sure the rear view mirror is working properly. Always seems a bit dark.

Really need to fix the broken stitching on the drivers seat but will wait will the weather is better so I can do it on the drive. Little bit scared of it too.

Other than all that the car drives quite nice, Got the radio working not I know how to use it and also the cruise control is great.
I think I will enjoy driving it once the last few bits are sorted out and I feel it's reliable.

Looking forward to selling the V40 and having a bit more room too
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 14:05   #23
custardavenger

Default Rear suspension and diff

So the thing that is currently worrying me about driving the car is rear suspension noise and a shimmy of the read when driving.

I 'm almost certain the noise (knock) is from the rear Drivers side. I have just jacked it up and got under it and all the links look fine, there is not movement in the wheel. I can see that there is damage to the shock gator so wondering if this could be the issue?

Also, I don't know anything about the rear diff set up on this car, there seams to be some electronic control to the front of the diff. What surprised me was the drive to the wheel I have of the ground appears to be disconnected, Is this normal. If someone could give me a bit of knowledge on it that would be great.

Update on the head unit. As Volvo have used their own wiring system with a remote amp that has pretty much stuffed the idea of putting in a Parrot unit. Had the head unit apart and removed the snapped cds. Previous own has done a great job on that and even managed to bend the frame. Anyway it doesn't look like I can repair it so bought another from ebay until I can get motivated to install all the planned electrics (some time after I have got all the mechanicals working).
The Following User Says Thank You to custardavenger For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 19:55   #24
custardavenger

Well I'm long overdue an update I guess. The car has done fairly well over these three years. I have only had one major breakdown where the fuel pump gave up.
I never did get to the bottom of the engine power issue and the check engine message. I did check all the vacuum hoses and was planning on replacing them but never go round to it.
So unfortunately it's time for the car to be replaced as I changed job and part of that means I need to have a care that is younger than 10 years old.
If I had the room I would love to keep it and possibly transplant the engine into something else, I think the D5 probably has a lot of potential.

So it must be traded in and to do that I really need to get the airbag light reset. If there is anyone in Nottingham or around who could help me with that I would really appreciate it.