Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 hybrid phev ISG failure

Views : 11900

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2017, 22:34   #1
Horton

Default V60 hybrid phev ISG failure

Interested to know if anyone else has experienced ISG failure on the V60.....we think we have one, but not absolutely sure. Car was dragged in just before Xmas and the whole car is dead. Owner said it was making a very noticeable noise similar to a lathe user chipping away at a block of wood, and then it stopped and the car slowly died. There is no power, it’s coming up ‘hybrid drive failure’ on the dash and it doesn’t seem to want to come back to life..... have plugged it in, getting loads of codes mostly pointing towards no power.... have also tried to charge it and no cigar... anyone have any thoughts?
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 06:26   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

they are common for elac unit ,also remove fuse and see if pins have backed out if so then battery will need removing and stripping update your findings.
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 20:01   #3
Horton

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an elac unit? Do you mean the ERAD drive motor?
My current thoughts are as follows:
Vehicle seems unable to come to life... everything works, and it keeps coming up with “hybrid drive failure”.
The D5 engine won’t start. Nothing happens apart from the message as above.
The phev charger won’t charge the hybrid battery.
So.....if the hybrid drive isn’t working why doesn’t the Diesel engine start? I know the ISG is supposed to start/stop the engine when it’s warm, but there’s a normal starter motor too.... surely if the Hybrid fails the diesel engine should keep the car going?? Even changed the normal battery.....nothing .

Last edited by Horton; Dec 29th, 2017 at 20:29.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 16:39   #4
Horton

Just a quick update on this! Turns that it was indeed the ISG that failed. Although the car was out of warranty it appears the ISG has proved to be an issue on this model, and Volvo were very helpful.
I still can’t quite get my head around the fact that it’s failure completely immobilised the car. Considering it has all the elements of a normal non hybrid, why did it the engine not start? And why was VIDA so useless at diagnosing the issue? One day, I’ll find out....
The Following User Says Thank You to Horton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 16:22   #5
richi1966

I’ve got exactly the same problem. I’m completely immobilised. My car is out of warranty already. What you mean ,,Volvo were very helpful “? Did they resolve ISG failure for free?
richi1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 18:19   #6
volvo for ever
Premier Member

elac is air con unit they are prone to give faults on V60 and SPA car's
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 22:40   #7
biddleje

I think my car can be added to the list. We had Hybrid System Failure last week (in the snow) but the diesel worked fine so we postponed the trip to the garage until the snow cleared. Last Sunday the car died completely - a fault message about "Electrical System self-checking, please wait 60s then retry starter button" and no further. Car recovered to the garage and they phoned this afternoon to report they had spent 2 hours already and got nowhere!
Reading the comments on the Dutch Volvo forum suggests there is a common issue with faulty air conditioning units causing the hybrid system to shut down, but the ISG has also been recalled/ replaced on several cars. Some members are on their 5th AC compressor!! Can anyone on this forum advise whether UK cars are prone to the same problems?
See https://translate.googleusercontent....zQ#real1523285
In the meantime I'm waiting until Endeavour Watford can solve the problem then they will apply to Volvo for a goodwill claim.
Fingers crossed, but having only had the car for 3 months it is not a good start to my Volvo "experience". My car is only 3 years 2 months old with 21k miles!

Last edited by biddleje; Mar 6th, 2018 at 23:41.
biddleje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 00:06   #8
Fisnik

I think there's an 8 year warranty on the battery, not sure if that includes the whole hybrid system? Perhaps it includes the ISG? What exactly is the ISG by the way?
Fisnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 19:55   #9
biddleje

Update from the garage - the ISG is faulty and is being replaced under warranty.
The ISG is the integrated starter and generator - basically a high efficiency alternator and starter motor rolled into one and mounted on the driveshaft.
There's a diagram on the Dutch Volvo forum - see below
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 19:59   #10
biddleje

My V60 PIH is currently in the garage waiting for a new ISG to be fitted, hopefully under warranty (the car is 3 years 2 months old and has done 21,000 miles!!)
There were no nasty noises but we had the same Hybrid System Failure message. What it doesn't tell you is that, even though the diesel works fine, you're draining the 12V battery and have a limited time before the car needs to be recovered - thank you to the authors of the Volvo Owners Manual!
The Dutch Volvo forum has LOTS of comments about Hybrid System failure warnings, mostly due to ISG or AC compressor failure. Thankfully Volvo Cars Nederlands seem to be dealing with most under warranty.

Tags
v60 d6 awd phev