Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Optimax" anyone..????

Views : 2582

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 23:58   #11
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE:optimax

Years ago when I was a poor unloved student driving a beaten up anglia van I made the mistake of putting Gulf 5* into the tank. The mistake being the price of course. Wow did it seem to run better but that was probably because the detonation ''pinking'' was less due to higher octane. The higher octance should detonate more slowly evening out the burn as the piston decends so rather than a blunt explosion you should get an even one lasting longer. Maybe this is what the shell does.
By the way an anglia van would run on paraffin if warm!!! paraffin was 9p a litre instead of 17p for petrol !!!! My gawd it was rough though. Those were the days driving something that smelled like a primus stove!!! Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2002, 21:28   #12
Max

I've had the 480 ES (probably the only one with an auto transmission in the UK) for six and a half years and have only ever run it on regular unleaded from Esso, and at current prices in urban driving it gets around 150 or so miles from 20 quidsworth. I've only had the C70 T5 for about three months and at first I thought I'd run it on the same stuff and was pleasantly surprised to see I was getting around the same consumption. Then I changed to Optimax for a few pence more per litre and was surprised that although it cost more so I was putting less in, 20 quid would take me about 160 miles under the same conditions. Plus it is definitely obvious the engine prefers it when it comes to overtaking and accellerating. Optimax is all that gets used in the C70 now, if for nothing else but the fact I go further for the same moneysworth of regular unleaded.

Max

The Leeds Clifford dealer and
North of England rep for the V.S.I.B

C70 T5 GT
480 ES
340 GL (now long gone)
Old Sep 30th, 2002, 00:58   #13
mike s

Max: I run a '95 480 2.0 & reckon to get 200 miles+ out of £20 of unleaded @ 74.9p/ltr. Most times it's 3 miles to the shop & back or a b**ls out blast to clear the cobwebs away. I hope that I never burn as much gas as you!(should be a smiley here, but I can't get the buggers to work!)
Old Oct 6th, 2002, 19:17   #14
Max

I've never actually tried optimax in the old 1990 480, just regular unleaded, but it is probably quite heavy on fuel due to the power sapping 4-speed auto on the not particularly powerful 1.7 engine, plus it is dragging round a second rather heavy Optima battery in the boot plus around 100 kilos of audio equipment. I can't remember exactly the quoted consumption figures in the manual but it's not far off I don't think.

Max

The Leeds Clifford dealer and
North of England rep for the V.S.I.B

C70 T5 GT
480 ES
340 GL (now long gone)
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 23:15   #15
petehall

missus said her baby rover was running noticeably better on optimax - i didn't believe her but gave it a go in my 740 2.0 inj.
Better pick up, idling, hill climbing and when i do mostly motorway runs it more than pays for itself in extra miles. Went back to regular unleaded in case i was deluding myself but i'm straight back on the optimax now. Put some in my mums 760v6 but didn't really notice a difference - same with my 940 2.3.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:47   #16
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE:

I have since found that BP Ultimate makes my T5 go better than Optimax does.

I think it is an altogether more stable and potent fuel.

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 20:13   #17
motorbikeman

Does this not make the engine run hotter too which has a knock on effect(excuse the Pun)
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 11:53   #18
steve collins

I thought optiamx was one of those eye correction companies doing laser surgery.....which my wife seems to think i and other volvo drivers could well benefit from!
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 14:21   #19
v6en
Master Member

Default RE:

I have tried both optimax and BP Ultimate fuel. The BP stuff seems to give me greater mpg than optimax and the car is slightly more sedate to drive but as consistent in power as always. Optimax gives more punch though and the car was quicker over the 1/4 mile with it than it is with BP unleaded. As Dan says though, the Ulitmate petrol is probably a more stable fuel, as apparently Optimax can go 'off' a bit after it's been sitting in the tank/ garage reservoir for a while.

jacq.
v6en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 20:23   #20
andykem

Default Optimax in PRV's

Been using Optimax since it came out in my 262C with B27E (or Super Unleaded if can't get Optimax). No problems and it got rid of the pinking!

More info: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/unleaded.htm

Andy
andykem is offline   Reply With Quote