Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting an XC70 back on the road

Views : 1785

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2018, 18:07   #11
custardavenger

Back again.

Been really busy so getting the car on the road has been delayed a bit. Here is where I am.

Important for MOT
Brake lights not working (High level Ok). From a search it seems this could be the relay but I have no information on which relay is which. Can anyone help with that?
Fog lights not working. Expecting this might be a relay issue as well.
Tail lights too bright - I can only guess the wrong lamps have been fitted.
Hand brake. Gave it an adjust, needs more but not sure all is correct as the cable seems a but spongy. Will gave to get the back end jacked up and check it out properly.
Changed the lower arm but actually it needed a bottom ball join, should have checked rather than just go by the report, so need to order the part.
Get Exhaust welded as two of the supports have rusted off completely

Other stuff
Info screen keeps going blank, will show info for a bit then nothing but illumination.
Dog guard. Should the gas struts be able to hold it up or should there be clips? keeps falling down.
DVD/NAV thing does nothing so assuming fuse is gone, have found the second remote though.
Pollen filter replacement. Haynes made it look really easy to remove the panel in the foot well, doesn't seem so easy in practice. Is there a knack to it?

So it looks unlikely I'll get it on the road next weekend for a thing I'm doing where I need to ferry some OAPs about which is a shame as it would be better for that than the V40.
There are many other issues that will annoy me as a daily driver that I'll need to sort, trim items, rattle in drivers door which I can work on at leisure.
Still not sure what to do about the radio. I have a load of CD to go through so will try that first but would really like to get some way of playing from USB at some point.
Lastly I need to find the safe place I put all the bits i took out before cleaning it as I don't know where the tow ball key is and it's a bit long for my garage pit with the tow ball on.

Oh last thing (and I will follow this up with a picture) the head lights don't match. I assume that maybe the XC and V headlights are different and I have one of each? One is full of condensation so I guess that would be the one to replace.
custardavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 21:19   #12
boggymarsh
XC70 2008 D5 SE

Condensation in the headlamps is an age old problem but one easily resolved. Remove the black plastic cap at the rear of the light unit and then drill a 8mm or 10mm hole in it. This will now allow the unit to breath and you’ll no longer have a condensation problem. To speed up the removal of the condensation in it now use a hairdryer on high heat and whilst the cap is removed direct the flow of air into the unit. It May take a good twenty minutes to get it dry but it’ll deal with the problem.
boggymarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 06:28   #13
myfirstv70

Default Exhaust brackets....

I wouldn't weld them as you could do more harm than good as electronics might get cooked if you don't disconnect the battery. There is a genuine volvo repair bracket (about £15 from memory) that does the job perfectly - I'd advise that you contact Rufe at FRF volvo in Swansea quoting the forum discount (c3) and you'll have one at your door in a day or two.
HTH,
Nobby
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 10:38   #14
reggit
Premier Member

Fog lights not working - which (front or rear)? Only rear needed for MOT.
Fairly sure brake light relay is on REM in boot, I'll look in manual shortly and get back to you.
Handbrake - these cars are notorious for delaminating the handbrake shoes. Have you had the rear disk/drum assembly off to check them? If not, prioritise this before driving the car.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 10:54   #15
custardavenger

Thanks for the replies

Boggymarsh. With you, not something that bothers me to sort, more that the next stage is looking for a breaker to get some bits of trim and at that point if I can get a headlight that matches cheap enough that would be nice.

myfirstv70. That bracket sounds interesting, if its the correct double bracket that I need I'll look into it, I did swear I wouldn't work on exhaust as they are never fun. Was going to drop it into somewhere local and get the tracking done at the same time. Like you say, Disconnect the battery and there shouldn't be an issue with the electrics (that i don't have already)

reggit. Rear. I'd appreciate that I have a manual that I have downloded that shows fuses but not relays and Haynes that lists the relays but not the position, that said they do number them and I didn't check for numbers in the boot so it may just be me being dim. I know most of the relays in the boot are covered in trim which is useful.
Good call on the handbrake shoes, that would explain it. Not checked but will do today before I fit the new ball joint.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 11:39   #16
reggit
Premier Member

Rear for light fuse is under fold-down flap on left side of tailgate. 2nd fuse down on rear most row. Should be 10A. Brake light fuse is 3rd one down, should be 15A.

Brake light relay is RMI5 on this module and will only knockout the lower lights - not sure which position this relay is in though

Found it - look on page 20 of this pdf for the relay locations https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/do...s/2001_S60.pdf

Last edited by reggit; Jan 7th, 2018 at 11:44.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 12:31   #17
custardavenger

Awesome link, Thanks all the information I need. Will do some testing.

Pulled the panel to get to the relays and pressed the eject on the DVD drive and it ejected a nav disk. won't take it back in again though. I know google maps on my phone is probably better and certainly more up to date but as I have it I feel I have to try to get it working, job for later.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 12:57   #18
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I've used these Exhaust repair brackets off Ebay on a few Volvos now and all have done the job properly at a very fair price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S60....c100508.m3226

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOL100-VO...kAAOSw8DJaAGxv

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 16:08   #19
custardavenger

Thanks S60D5-185, the second one looks like what i need. I will get one on order.

To update on the lights situation. I have learnt a lot. I now know how to remove all the rear trim and the lights (something a previous owner certainly did not).
Having properly read the manual I see that Volvo have laid out the lights different to most cars in having a combined tail/fog rather than a combined tail/brake, this had thrown me for a bit.
Anyway with a bit of testing I have swapped the 4 pole relay in the brake position for one that does the trailer which is a 5 pole relay, the brake lights now work (well the one side I plugged in anyway).
So I can only guess someone has been in there and swapped relays about but do not know where the 4 pole relay would otherwise go so will purchase another 5 pole one.

For the fog lights the left side light fitting was missing the metal contact piece for the lamp carrier. I found it but it looks like it was never connected to the feed from the plug. Now the manual Says fog lamp (left side only) which makes no sense as the right one is now working. Do Volvo only have one Fog light to distinguish the brake lights? I'm wondering whether to solder a connection for the LH light.

Got cold now so giving up on it to get some other stuff done. Certainly getting closer.
The Following User Says Thank You to custardavenger For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 17:17   #20
reggit
Premier Member

There’s only a fog on the drivers side. Wouldn’t worry about the passenger side for now as it’s a nicety to get one working in that position and not needed for MOT