Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen damage for MoT test

Views : 468

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2017, 10:58   #1
Triple-S
How Old?

Default Windscreen damage for MoT test

Have just looked at buying a replacement Volvo 240 for mine. However, it has been off the road for over a year and the windscreen perimeter has that foggy milky appearance all round, implying delamination? Presume damp has affected it, as its at least 1" wide all round. Have looked via the 'net for a verdict of automatic MoT fail, but it isn't mentioned - just chips and cracks.
Has any informed member any legal experience of this, or is it up to the tester on the day? Although from the drivers seat it is clearly visible all round, its presence doesn't worry me, but I don't want to buy a replacement car with the certain additional outlay of some £200 for a new screen.
Advice from a professional tester greatly appreciated.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 13:54   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

As a guess (I'm not an MOT tester), I'd say you might get an advisory but as it is outside the official field of vision so not a reason for refusal of certificate.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 22:21   #3
Bill_56
Premier Member

Personally I'd be thinking at whether any offence was being comitted when driving the car with a slightly defective windscreen, regardless of whether it passed the MOT. The MOT does not necessarily cover all possible defects for which you might be prosecuted.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is it would be the Construction & Use regulations, and Road Traffic Act, that would be worth reading carefully.

That said, not sure why a windscreen should start to deteriorate through lack of use. Have you tried a decent glass polish, inside and out, in case it is just some kind of mould on the surface?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 23:14   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Assuming windscreen cover is on the insurance, then a minor chip 'incident' would ensure a relatively cheap replacement

The windscreen on my 15 year old camper van has got signs of delamination on the black outer edge and has sailed thru every MOT with no mention of it, so I guess it would have to be pretty bad to be deemed a failure.

MOT handbook makes no mention of delamination: http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-checks...-of-windscreen

Last edited by Simon Jones; Aug 8th, 2017 at 23:17.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 23:21   #5
hennabm

The tester has to assess the driver's view of the road. Any damage in zone A of the swept area cannot exceed 10mm and zone B no more than 40mm.

Outside of the swept area of the wipers is not covered by the MOT test and therefore the milking of the edge will not be included.

Even if it did go into the swept area, does it affect the view of the road. If not then it will pass.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hennabm For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 22:21   #6
Geoff moore

Speaking as a mot tester a bit of fogginess(?)around of the windscreen would at worst be an advisory the testers manual on line will give you any reassurance you need enjoy the 240
Geoff moore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geoff moore For This Useful Post: