Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking for recommendations

Views : 1485

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2017, 00:03   #21
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Manual or (I assume) automatic? It's not necessarily a no-no, depending on how serious the issue is. Many problems are cured by a full ATF change with JWS 3309 fluid. Could be why cheap.
It's automatic. I know that bad fluid can be the cause of many problems, but if it was just that, the seller could surely change the fluid, confirm good, then stick half a grand on the price. The fact that he hasn't suggests to me that he's not confident he can get a good price on it, which in turn suggests he suspects there's more to it.

If it was a private sellers, I might have been prepared to take a punt. A lot of private sellers don't have the knowledge/skills/time to tackle these things, but it's a dealer. He'll have taken it part ex on someone else's cast offs, polished it, and took tried his hand.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 00:11   #22
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Seller may or may not know that, of course. What year and mileage?
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 00:22   #23
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Seller may or may not know that, of course. What year and mileage?
54 plate. I don't know the mileage yet. I've not been to see it. Bro in law has been talking to the seller.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 01:00   #24
sv70

Hi,can i just say 18 months ago i bought a 2005 v70 D5,never had a volvo before,but my brother had a 265 estate which i always admired,and thought was a brilliant solid motor,anyway my car was just over a grand,had 271K miles on it,which initially put me on my back foot till i started reading this forum and saw big mileages were not a problem for these engines.After a test drive i was so impressed with the power and ride i bought it thinking at that price i can afford to throw some money at it.Before i used it i did the cambelt,aux belt,idler,tensioner ,rear hubs,service etc,all good,so have used it over 18 months and it's been great and i wish i would have bought one years ago i am that impressed,but to buy a v70 for a grand you will sooner or later find thing that need doing for example on mine-both hydraulic engine mounts top mount,gearbox mount,stuff that will bang up your expenditure,then mine developed the dreaded tug boat noise so set of lifters/rockers and other stuff required to fix[items purchased waiting to do it],but have been running it for around a year now as it is,and finally a few months ago got the dreaded rattle noise from the dm flywheel,so that's another £500 to fix-including clutch and concentric slave cylinder -[parts ordered]so at the end a £1000 car so far will stand me around-£3800,but i am so happy with the car i am ok with it and i don't think i would have spent that on a purchase price but i know whats been done is good and as i am happy to keep this car for the next 10 years i won't mind spending on it as i will be the one that benefits rather than getting it right then selling it.So i would say to you you can get a nice looking v70 for a grand but if you don't know anything about cars get a professional to check over the main items,and even then expect to spend on it,you could be lucky and use it for 6-12 months trouble free,but somewhere along the line it will need some cash spending on it.I hope i haven't put you off,but like i said i'm that impressed i think it's a car worth spending on if you can afford it of course,by the way it's a euro 4 so has a dpf-luckily i have had no problems whatsoever with that,so that's a bonus.So it's just a buyer beware job really,but be careful if you drive one you could easily be sucked in to the volvo marque as i was.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 01:09   #25
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

I'm getting a bad feeling about the V70. I'm starting to think it's not the rock solid motor like it's 900 series ancestors.

I'm hearing of electronics issues characteristic of the likes of Renault, coupled with mechanical issues on a part with Audi.

Would I be right to think they are a maintenance money pit ?

My friend who is a mechanic and has I'm the past made money as a used car dealer says if he was to recommend one car based on my needs it would be a Ford focus. Dull as hell, but cheap and functional.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 01:19   #26
sv70

I guess nothing is as rock solid from the good old days of the cars you are talking about,but those cars weren't a sophisticated as more modern cars of say the last 10 to 15 years,so obviously more stuff to go wrong,if you are happy to drive something with less refinement and cheaper to fix then stick to that but a v70 certainly isn't that,don't expect you'll have the same repair costs as a focus,so if maintenance costs are a priority then focus it is.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 02:05   #27
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv70 View Post
I guess nothing is as rock solid from the good old days of the cars you are talking about,but those cars weren't a sophisticated as more modern cars of say the last 10 to 15 years,so obviously more stuff to go wrong,if you are happy to drive something with less refinement and cheaper to fix then stick to that but a v70 certainly isn't that,don't expect you'll have the same repair costs as a focus,so if maintenance costs are a priority then focus it is.
Yes it's sad really. I loved both my 940s. The only other car that came close was my vauxhall cavalier. I have never enjoyed what I'd consider a modern car. I had a vectra that I hated, a Citroën xsara that I hated, a Renault laguna I hated, and my Renault Megane which is mechanically solid, quite pleasant to drive, but I darent open the windows after numerous faults, and now the boot won't open, and with a failed indicator bulb in need a garage appointment because it's such a **** on to replace.

I've had a couple of cars that wore Japanese badges, despite being European apparently. Both excellent cars. Both quite primitive but very robust.

I hate that modern cars are so packed full of rubbish that's only there to fail, and I'm disappointed to find that some of the volvo cars have gone this way. I understand the need for fancy electronics for abs braking and engine management, but I don't want a computer to decide if my decision to open a door or window is valid.

Last edited by rippedoffagain; Dec 30th, 2017 at 02:43.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 07:15   #28
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
I'm getting a bad feeling about the V70. I'm starting to think it's not the rock solid motor like it's 900 series ancestors.

I'm hearing of electronics issues characteristic of the likes of Renault, coupled with mechanical issues on a part with Audi.

My friend who is a mechanic and has I'm the past made money as a used car dealer says if he was to recommend one car based on my needs it would be a Ford focus. Dull as hell, but cheap and functional.
In my ownership of petrol V70, bought at 234000, currently 259000 miles,
I've spent:
MOT costs
2 sets of tyres
Few gearbox oil changes (around £250-300, own labour)
1 wishbone+CV gaiter + labour (£400)
1 water pump+cambelt+ tensioners+labour (£350)
1 set of front brake pads around £30, own labour
And of course petrol, oil, filters etc

Its been like 4-5 years now..
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 07:58   #29
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post

No you would not be right in thinking they generally are a money pit , Just buy carefully , Myself and many more on here have run them to very high mileage’s without breaking the bank

The biggest outlay i ever had on mine was replacing the front wishbones , Sold it a mega mileage still on original turbo , clutch ect and its still going strong

What makes you think a hocus pocus would be trouble free ...It’s a ford ffs
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 09:36   #30
green van man
Premier Member

Seriously mate, a £1000 car is a banger no matter what make. All cars since 2000 have electronics on them and all will cost when they fail.

I have had Fords, Hillman, Vauxhall and Volvos, all have cost money to maintain as all cars do.
If you do not want worries over mechanical or electronic maintenance/ repair costs can I suggest you would be better off getting a new car on a lease, PCP type agreement where you will have a full warranty.
Alternatively sign yourself up to a course of car maintenance at a local collage.

A £1000 car which you cannot maintain yourself is going to be a money pit no matter who made it, cheapest garage around me is £45 an hour labourand if they only have generic diognostic capabilities they can spend a long time finding and fixing faults. Remember, with electronic sensors, once you open the sealed bag it's sold and no return, get the diognostic wrong and there's £200 down the swanny for nothing.

Not having a go at you mate, just trying to explain things realistically.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: