Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front discs

Views : 1457

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2018, 15:17   #1
Grimble
Grimble

Default Front discs

I'm due to replace mine soon and its a job I'm confident on doing myself, however reading advice indicates that Volvo pads are recommended but you can go for aftermarket discs. I did this some years ago on my V70 with excellent results in both performance and wallet.

Can anybody recommend a supplier of discs? Cant remember where I got the last lot from.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 16:30   #2
Phillg1986

I used mtec disxs which ive always liked using!
I used ATE brake pads this time and am having to get the pads changed on the rear to genuine Volvo ones as they now rattle over bumps, so would deffinately recommend oem pads!
Phill
Phillg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillg1986 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 20:21   #3
calderaman

Eurocarparts offer a range of different makes, including Brembo, Bosch and Pagid which, from experience, have been the same as the OEM pads I was replacing. Time it right and you can get up to 50% off the on-line prices which makes a set of pads and discs around £100-£120.

Be mindful, you may need a 9mm hex socket to remove the caliper bolt, an odd size that you may need to source on-line
calderaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calderaman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 21:44   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

Depending on how rusty the inside of the discs are they can be interesting to remove from hubs at times
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 07:40   #5
calderaman

Once the pads and caliper have been removed, if the disc is proving troublesome, just replace the wheel to give better leverage. That or a few sharp taps with a mallet tend to work, its just a matter of persuasion.
calderaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calderaman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 11:39   #6
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by calderaman View Post

Be mindful, you may need a 9mm hex socket to remove the caliper bolt, an odd size that you may need to source on-line
Cheers.
No problem, you can normally get a full hex 10mm socket to undo a 9mm bolt.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 12:15   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Not so common on the XC60 but on the XC90 forum there are posts every few weeks from newbies frustrated that their cars are constantly warping discs and having noisy brakes. Almost all are cured by fitting genuine Volvo discs and pads. If you use dealers that sell on e-bay they aren't that much more expensive than known brand pattern parts. From memory the genuine XC60 discs and pads are about £180-£190.

Having done a number of premature brake replacements on cars in my own family in recent years - I only use genuine Volvo brake parts now, even on my wife's V50. Whilst some pattern parts may be "satisfactory" the quality of Volvo parts is superior. I know some will disagree but I expect the Volvo dealer mechanics would do the same with their own money.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 12th, 2018 at 12:21.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 13:56   #8
Gadgetman

You have hit the nail on the head, I've had the same issue and now only fit OEM discs/pads.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 11:31   #9
Grimble
Grimble

Thanks for all the replies but it seems there are a number of different types listed for my car and I'm not sure which is right. I entered my reg on one site and it came back with a different model to mine.

Its a 62 plate D4 SE Lux Nav.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 13:06   #10
kdst5

Have a chat to Simon at FRF Volvo https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=368 Been using them for over 10 years, nearly always get things correct via the VIN no. etc. and the only time it went wrong they sorted it quickly.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote