Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Change both tyres on axle?

Views : 926

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2018, 15:19   #1
olly

Exclamation Change both tyres on axle?

Tyres on my AWD are the same make and model - continental eco contact and all worn evenly to about 3.5mm
One is damaged beyond repair.
I'm told I need to replace both on the same axle in order that the radius is the same and doesn't damage the transmission.
Is this true please? What are the risks?
Thanks
olly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 15:55   #2
Lincolnite

My view is that at 3.5mm the “good” tyre is virtually worn out and that it really isn’t worth taking the risk. What miles have they done, they are the same as I have and am interested in what I could expect.

Last edited by Lincolnite; Jan 18th, 2018 at 15:55. Reason: Spelling mistake
Lincolnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 16:42   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

What you suggest was true many years ago on older Haldex systems but doesn’t apply now - though I would use the opportunity to get decent new tyres on both wheels as your worn one doesn’t have any real life left in it.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 16:57   #4
olly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnite View Post
My view is that at 3.5mm the “good” tyre is virtually worn out and that it really isn’t worth taking the risk. What miles have they done, they are the same as I have and am interested in what I could expect.
I have a feeling these are the tyres that have been on there since new - so possibly 42k but I don't know for sure.

I can tell you the wheel was very heavily corroded onto the hub.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 16:59   #5
olly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
What you suggest was true many years ago on older Haldex systems but doesn’t apply now - though I would use the opportunity to get decent new tyres on both wheels as your worn one doesn’t have any real life left in it.
Yup - will go for two new ones and keep the one I take off in case I need to replace one of the other two before they wear down to 2ish mm when I'd normally replace them

ok...so do I put the new tyres on the front or back?
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 18:00   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

You always put the tyres with the best grip on the rear - controlling a skid at the front is relatively simple, a rear end slide (unless deliberate) is a much more dangerous occurrence.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 18:17   #7
Whyman
Premier Member

On the back if they are significantly better than the other two.

This is the advice being given by tyre manufactures because a rear breakaway is much harder to correct compared to the front tyres understeering.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 08:44   #8
Crockers
Premier Member

At 3.5 mm those tyres are practically shot. In the wet they are carp so do yourself a favour and change them all. I can never get my head round why people run tyres down to 2mm just because thats about where the wear bars are.

Winter tyres are no longer effective at 4mm.

You'd be shocked at how much extra water a new tyre can disperse over a 3.5 mm one.

I appreciate its a cost binning your tyres before they're illegal but surely your family's safety is worth it.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 08:57   #9
olly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
You'd be shocked at how much extra water a new tyre can disperse over a 3.5 mm one.
I've not looked at all the research of course but a quick browse around shows breaking doesn't really start to increase much till they're under 3mm.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 09:58   #10
ronkt04

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly View Post
I have a feeling these are the tyres that have been on there since new - so possibly 42k but I don't know for sure.

I can tell you the wheel was very heavily corroded onto the hub.
If I got 42k from a set of tyres, I would be chuffed.

MY2016: XC60 D4 AWD R Design Lux Nav 190hp Geartronic, Savile Grey, Tempa spare wheel, Winter Pack, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Towbar & F/R mudflaps.
ronkt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ronkt04 For This Useful Post: