Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 807808

Replies : 1192

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 17:38   #1101
Barnacle58

Not Savero (no me neither) . They were put on brand new when we bought the car from the main dealer at 63K. At 80k they are down to the wear markers. I've never know any tyre only last 17k on any car I've had.
Barnacle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 21:54   #1102
minstrelblue
minstrelblue

I have [barely 2 1/2 yrs old] nokian z-line suv tyres on my xc90 [ from oponeo tyres] , its a 2009 xc90 active premium, used almost daily and about 10k miles a year, the treads are still legal with plenty of 'life' left in them but i was warned on the mot about the circumferencial cracks in all of the grooves. these tyres are meticulously cared for re tyre pressures, never left idle for long periods or exposed to extreme weather but the cracks are on all 4 tyres in the grooves [not sidewalls]and according to the sidewall made barely 2 1/2 years ago.
for the life of me cannot understand how this happens on tyres of that age, one would expect tyre depth to fail before the rubber cracks. so im replacing the 2 front ones tomorrow with nexen n-fera ru1 108 v rated xl as i'm not made of money and most tyre reviews seem reasonable. when i can afford the rears they'll be changed too as it's peace of mind because i'm thinking i'm driving on a time bomb with those cracks in the grooves.TRIED asking oponeo about warranty as i felt they are faulty in construction but they made life so difficult to claim i lost heart, they said they wanted me to return all the tyres [4] at my expense and they would evaluate them [up to 6 weeks] and if agreeable they would compensate me to what percentage they felt the tyres were at fault. obviously that'd leave me without a car for up to 6 weeks, and no guarantee they would compensate me, i asked if i could drive it to an independent garage for an examination but they refused. will not be using oponeo again to buy tyres as their customer help is non existant with onerous demands for warranty queries

Last edited by minstrelblue; Sep 23rd, 2018 at 23:01. Reason: adding
minstrelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 13:14   #1103
Glennjo

Hi,

I have a MY05 XC90 which is going to need 4 tyres (ouch!) very soon for its MOT and of course for the winter.

The sort of journeys are mainly - short commute to work (B roads), shopping, occasional motorway (1hr most) and about once a month the XC90 is fully loaded with a gazebo, tables and stock of outdoor clothing and accessories as we attend events with a market stall.

At the moment, we have a couple of Nexens and Yokahamas 235/60R/18 103 fitted - all now very very worn.

The car is not used for towing and nor is it driven hard. I dont bother with seperate winter / summer tyres!

I am after a decent midrange price bracket - any recomendations please?

Many thanks
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 13:58   #1104
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Falken, Uniroyal, Hankook, Vredestein. Hankook/Vredestein can cost a fair bit nowadays though, but vary and can still be got cheaper in some sizes.
Uniroyal have by far the best wet grip but longevity is the shortest, Falken have the best price/performance balance.
Firestone also a good shout, just not the multiseason or winters.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 15:40   #1105
Faybo73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
Hello all,

I've been fortunate enough to grab an eBay bargain and now have four new Volvo original wheels for my 2007 XC90 V8 Sport. I can now for the first time consider running dedicated summer and winter tyres. Tyre size is 255/50 R19.

For summer I am considering Uniroyal RainSport 3, or possibly Dunlop's SP QuattroMaxx or Sport Maxx RT2. I really don't have any call to off road, nor venture into muddy fields, and if I do, it would be in the latter part of year when I'll have other tyres on. These are aimed squarely at tarmac / concrete.

In the Rainsport's favour, I think that the softer compounding and increased side wall flex might balance out the slightly harsh ride of the sport suspension setup, which is a bit noticeable on the pot-holed A and B roads of East Anglia. That said, the sport corners nearly as well as my Smart Roadster (which drives like it's on rails, and is also shod in RainSport) without any of the prominent wallowing of my D5 XC90 SE and I really wouldn't want to lose that. I probably only cover 6-7k miles per year in this vehicle, so with a winter set on for half the year, I'm not too concerned about wear rate. I still think that I should get 2-3 years out of them, by which time they are getting old anyway. And they are, frankly, cheap by comparison to Pirelli, Conti etc.

For the Dunlop, I know nothing about these and can't seem to find that much online. The tyre label suggests wet weather performance equal to that of the RS3 but with significantly reduced road noise (which I like the sound of, or more to the point, don't).

Does anyone have any experience with either on the XC90? Are the RS3's just that little bit too soft for a heavy, fast SUV?

TIA.
Hi having read your post it reminded me of what I have gone through with my xc90 sport with the 19" wheel.

Over the years I have used three different types of pirelli tires two Bridgestones some budget and the uniroyals. None helped with the crashy chassis. Sadly I think that's how it is. The uniroyals rainsmart were shocking on the wear front and I was that impressed with the wet grip. I had these fitted to a golf gti and loved them on that. Eventually I tried the Cooper brand. A friend with a cayenne was recommended them by an independent porsche garage. They didn't sell them but rated them. I found the specific model which was the 4xs via f1autocentres online. They are a little less then pirelli and much cheaper than Bridgestones and I love them. Both wet and dry grip are excellent and the wear rate the best of all brands I have used. If you should want to try them it must by the 4xs version as the are designed for sporty 4x4 with a different side wall.

Sadly though I think the chassis harshness will always be there no matter the tire.
Faybo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 15:54   #1106
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Cooper are usually Avon and vice versa, with a few exceptions.
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 23:35   #1107
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

4 new Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season's gone back on mine again this year.

Superb tyre all year round.

Last set were on for 4 years and gave me nearly 39k so absolutely no qualms about wearing them again.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 23:47   #1108
skippyfox
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
4 new Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season's gone back on mine again this year.

Superb tyre all year round.

Last set were on for 4 years and gave me nearly 39k so absolutely no qualms about wearing them again.
Got to agree. Had Scorpions on my 14 plate R Design XC90. Just put 4 on my 16 plate XC 70. Good all round tyre.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skippyfox For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 23:47   #1109
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Btw, just noticed the post regarding the Nokian!
They have a habit of longitudinal cracks in the circumferential grooves at times, but, they are usually superficial and nothing to be concerned about. Only the Line range have this issue though, the H and V before them, and their winter tyres dont have this rep... I had a pair of H, wore well indeed with no crazing or cracking ever, followed them with a pair of Line, one exhibited the longitudinal cracks which never worsened and were superficial surface cracks, the othsr had very minor hairline cracks which again never increased...
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 20:17   #1110
Bigjimknickers

fitted 4x Goodyear wrangler hp's on my xc90 05 on Monday, so far they feel excellent, very happy with them & especially the price as they where 6-7mm pre worn ones off eBay....£45 all in!!
bargain of the year for me so far!!https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consum...r.WRLHPAW.html

Last edited by Bigjimknickers; Nov 16th, 2018 at 20:19.
Bigjimknickers is offline   Reply With Quote