Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cold weather only D5 dump valve sound & engine service req

Views : 280

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2018, 11:59   #1
Emeye

Default cold weather only D5 dump valve sound & engine service req

I have a problem with my wife’s 2003 XC90 D5 which only occurs when we get cold weather - We has the problem all last autumn/winter, but the problem went away all summer, now it is back!

When the car has driven a few hundred yards after starting from cold, mainly first thing in the morning, it will make a sound similar to a dump valve and then go into engine service required limp mode. The error will clear after restarting the engine or if we keep driving for a minute the error will clear itself and will drive normally.

The strange thing is it has been fine all summer!

The vacuum pipes for the mounts have been blocked off, but the problem still appears in he cold, so I was hoping that this may give a clue to narrow the problem down.
Emeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 12:02   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

Possibly overboosting turbo, due to carbon build up in the inlet guide vanes. Clean or replace the turbo.

Read the DTCs to get a proper diagnosis.