Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Automatic gearbox oil

Views : 799

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2018, 13:31   #11
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Same stuff direct from the supplier in a more manageable size :

https://www.smithandallan.com/produc...mission-fluid/

Use the drop down menus to select size, select carriage at checkout and VAT, job's a good'un!

I just collect mine from them.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 13:48   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
I just collect mine from them.
Now that IS local!

I'm quite a lot further from them so have to use their mail order services. Their ATF that most closely matches my needs isn't quite as good as the Carlube stuff i suggested in the Honda box so i stick with that for both of mine.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 10:52   #13
Rich118

Hi thought I would just finish this thread off as I've completed the job now. Glad I did the gearbox sump dump as you suggested even though it was "changed" 8000 miles ago I had to check twice I hadn't drained the engine oil hopefully it will feel a bit better now
Thanks again
Rich118 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich118 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 11:18   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich118 View Post
Hi thought I would just finish this thread off as I've completed the job now. Glad I did the gearbox sump dump as you suggested even though it was "changed" 8000 miles ago I had to check twice I hadn't drained the engine oil hopefully it will feel a bit better now
Thanks again
With that in mind, i'd give it a month or two and do another sump dump.
If that comes out black as well, do another a month or two down the line. If that one is also dirtier than you'd expect, do another a month or two later.

Usually it takes 3-4 sump dumps to get the ATF clean in the first place then once a year to keep it that way. In the long run this works out cheaper (depsite the initial cost of doing a few of them over a short time period) than doing a flushing change every 24k, keeps the fluid cleaner, minimises the risk of leaks and keeps the fluid closer to new condition which pays dividendds in smoothness, economy and performance.

When i first got my 760 a couple of years back, the ATF was filthy, the changes were harsh and economy/performance were down. After 3 planned part-changes/sump-dumps in fairly quick succession and a 4th unplanned change due to some remedial work on the output shaft seal and bushing, it has remained clean with ultra smooth shifts, good performance and economy. It's surprising just how much difference fresh fluid makes!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 16:06   #15
Bokfel

Default Atf

Hi guys..i just wanna know how to check atf oil in an xc 90 2007 model.....and a possible top up

Thanx in advance
Bokfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 16:25   #16
Rich118

Thanks again I will do one a few months after the car starts being used, my plan is to do regular sump dumps at every service until the oil looks a bit happier.
I used the oil linked in this thread it is way cheaper than Volvo stuff, I can't comment yet on the performance of it as the cars only moved in and out the garage due to a water leak but I can say the gears select well and car moves fine.
Rich118 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich118 For This Useful Post: