Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bluetooth in 2005 XC90

Views : 6527

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 21:40   #1
chukkychukky

Default Bluetooth in 2005 XC90

Hi All,

Looking to add a Bluetooth unit for phone calls and audiostreaming
The XC90 currently has the factory 6 CD changer.

I was considering one of these Double Din head unit replacements but the installation and additional wiring costs I was quoted were a bit high

I'm in NW London and came across these folks who come highly recommended

I was considering a Parrot Product such as the Asteroid Mini, Tablet or even slightly old school MKi9200i

the hardware reviews online are a little less than inspiring, not too fussed about Sat NAV, apps and touchscreen but it has to be rock solid reliable.

Can anyone with experience of the above recommend one of them or even any alternatives?

Thanks
chukkychukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 22:28   #2
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukkychukky View Post
Hi All,

Looking to add a Bluetooth unit for phone calls and audiostreaming
The XC90 currently has the factory 6 CD changer.

I was considering one of these Double Din head unit replacements but the installation and additional wiring costs I was quoted were a bit high

I'm in NW London and came across these folks who come highly recommended

I was considering a Parrot Product such as the Asteroid Mini, Tablet or even slightly old school MKi9200i

the hardware reviews online are a little less than inspiring, not too fussed about Sat NAV, apps and touchscreen but it has to be rock solid reliable.

Can anyone with experience of the above recommend one of them or even any alternatives?

Thanks
I just use one of those plugin bluetooth gadgets and stream via an FM channel.

Last edited by Acer; Jan 2nd, 2016 at 22:43.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acer For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 06:56   #3
sreviz
Master Member

I installed parrot mk version myself.
Took me 2 hours. Newbie.
Bought it from halfords and wiring from ebay - SOT 45.
I would say , not happy about the sound quality and secondly when reversing- while playing music - It blocks that beep sound from parking sensors.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sreviz For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 10:15   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I installed a Parrot MK also which I bought from e-bay and a SOT loom also from e-bay. Not difficult to do, hardest part was deciding where to mount the display, did take a little time to do a neat job. The wiring loom takes care of everything, no need to cut into other wires etc.

However:

- As has been said it disables the Park Assist system when in use as that uses the stereo speakers for it's audible warning.

- It's perfect for phone calls but as has also been said the audio quality isn't great as when streaming you are using the tiny amplifier in the Parrot (20 watts I think) rather than the cars own amplifier (hundreds of watts). You also have no Pro-Logic and no subwoofer.

- When on a call or streaming, it does not mute the subwoofer so you still have to turn down (or off) the car radio. This isn't a great problem, you get used to it.

The Premium Sound system in the XC90 was state of the art in 2003 and uses fibre optic cables between the modules - consequently it is near impossible to modify but there are a few aftermarket stereo's (now referred to as "infotainment systems" I think...) that are compatible with the Volvo MOST system and can link in to the fibre optics. If you are handy with a soldering iron there is also a hack you can do to sacrifice the AM radio reception for audio streaming I think... if you search this forum it is well documented.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ght=ocean+race
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 3rd, 2016 at 10:19.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 11:10   #5
harveys
Master Member

http://www.volvotech.eu/Audio/mmmi-plus?filter=27
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 12:43   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

That looks a good piece of kit and not that expensive - I'm assuming with that it routes the output from the Parrot through the Volvo amp so you get better quality, parking sensors work and the sub is muted on a call?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 14:12   #7
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I installed a Parrot MK also which I bought from e-bay and a SOT loom also from e-bay. Not difficult to do, hardest part was deciding where to mount the display, did take a little time to do a neat job. The wiring loom takes care of everything, no need to cut into other wires etc.

However:

- As has been said it disables the Park Assist system when in use as that uses the stereo speakers for it's audible warning.

- It's perfect for phone calls but as has also been said the audio quality isn't great as when streaming you are using the tiny amplifier in the Parrot (20 watts I think) rather than the cars own amplifier (hundreds of watts). You also have no Pro-Logic and no subwoofer.

- When on a call or streaming, it does not mute the subwoofer so you still have to turn down (or off) the car radio. This isn't a great problem, you get used to it.

The Premium Sound system in the XC90 was state of the art in 2003 and uses fibre optic cables between the modules - consequently it is near impossible to modify but there are a few aftermarket stereo's (now referred to as "infotainment systems" I think...) that are compatible with the Volvo MOST system and can link in to the fibre optics. If you are handy with a soldering iron there is also a hack you can do to sacrifice the AM radio reception for audio streaming I think... if you search this forum it is well documented.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ght=ocean+race
Yes that is the reason I have left it as standard. I didn't want to compromise the park assist and wanted sound to come via the main amp.

As you say the original system is very, very high quality even now. That is while it is working of course and no doubt the ICM issue will be around the corner for my sins!
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 17:08   #8
chukkychukky

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveys View Post
Thanks, this is an interesting solution
How complicated is it to self install?

I had a look at this thread about soldering and creating a AUX I out and don't think I have the technical ability to do that.
chukkychukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 11:28   #9
C320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
Yes that is the reason I have left it as standard. I didn't want to compromise the park assist and wanted sound to come via the main amp.

As you say the original system is very, very high quality even now. That is while it is working of course and no doubt the ICM issue will be around the corner for my sins!
This is a known issue, to retain the parking sensor output and the main amp you would need to use something like this:

http://www.dashmount.co.uk/index.php...-Mki-iPod.html

I'm still deciding between using this and a Parrot kit or the VolvoTech unit as I don't want to lose parking sensor sounds either.

*** EDIT *** After looking at pictures of both units it looks like the VolvoTech MMI unit is the same as the OASI Bluetooth interface. Hmmmm....

Last edited by C320; Jan 6th, 2016 at 12:39. Reason: Revised after checking OASI interface
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 13:01   #10
hoyleyboyley

http://incartec.co.uk/volvo/2258/103...o/Browser.aspx

i installed a double din and used this kit - retaining parking sensor use - the kit supplies a new buzzer that plugs into the loom, but function remains the same.
hoyleyboyley is offline   Reply With Quote