Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 rdesign shuddering when accelerating.

Views : 932

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2019, 19:42   #1
ANUBISMBIE

Default V50 rdesign shuddering when accelerating.

Hi everyone,wondering if anyone can help, or have had the same problem, i have got a volvo V50 Rdesign 10 plate diesel,when accelerating normally between 40-70mph the car starts to shudder when I take my foot of the accelerator it stops seems worse when going up hill. I have had the dual mass, clutch changed. Had a new alternator fitted battery is good,doesn't seem to be miss firing, the wheels aren't buckled and no obvious signs of anything being wrong with the drive shafts, Wondering if anyone had anything similar,and could shed some light on it, staring to run out of ideas,any help would be much appreciated.

*Many thanks*
ANUBISMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 11:23   #2
Markos01

On Volvos this problem usually ends up being the driveshafts, but as they're expensive I'd get the wheels balanced and a full alignment done just to rule those out before further investigation.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 21:17   #3
v50t5sesport

see https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297436
sounds like the same problem. Never in 30 years have I had to replace driveshafts, must be a weak point. Like yours, I could not find anything obviously wrong.
v50t5sesport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v50t5sesport For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 12:42   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Can anybody confirm that driveshaft issue would only be noticeable on acceleration? I am investigating my shuddering/wobble that is very noticeable on 120-140kmh speed but it happens all the time, even on neutral when just freerolling and not accelerating.
Can that rule out driveshaft issue or its still a possibility? (and yes, changing tyres&ballancing all wheels & doing wheel allinment soon as a first resort)
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 13:06   #5
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Can anybody confirm that driveshaft issue would only be noticeable on acceleration? I am investigating my shuddering/wobble that is very noticeable on 120-140kmh speed but it happens all the time, even on neutral when just freerolling and not accelerating.
Can that rule out driveshaft issue or its still a possibility? (and yes, changing tyres&ballancing all wheels & doing wheel allinment soon as a first resort)
LOB, from the anecdotal evidence, drive shaft problem are ONLY on acceleration so to my mind you may get away with it being something to do with wheels! The only thing I'll add is that this anecdotal is based on 2WD cars...
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 14:25   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
LOB, from the anecdotal evidence, drive shaft problem are ONLY on acceleration so to my mind you may get away with it being something to do with wheels! The only thing I'll add is that this anecdotal is based on 2WD cars...
Well, I am hoping for the "easiest solutions are ususally the best" so wheel ballancing and/or wheel allignment and fingers crossed...
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 19:14   #7
ANUBISMBIE

Hi v50t5sesport

I just wondering, when you changed your drive shafts did you change,any bearings in you gear box as well,as my mechanic thinks the shaking could be cause by that as he cant see anything wrong with the drive shafts?

Many thanks

ANUBISMBIE.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 19:15   #8
ANUBISMBIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50t5sesport View Post
see https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297436
sounds like the same problem. Never in 30 years have I had to replace driveshafts, must be a weak point. Like yours, I could not find anything obviously wrong.
Hi v50t5sesport

I just wondering, when you changed your drive shafts did you change,any bearings in you gear box as well,as my mechanic thinks the shaking could be cause by that as he cant see anything wrong with the drive shafts?

Many thanks

ANUBISMBIE.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 22:33   #9
v50t5sesport

No, just the driveshafts, and you can't see anything wrong with the driveshafts. I have pulled the old ones apart, no obvious problem
v50t5sesport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 19:35   #10
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile just a thought

Could the support bearing on the longer driveshaft (drivers) side be loose ?, i guess if youve had the clutch/dmf replaced out then the driveshafts would have been removed also, but just incase..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote