Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch bleed or faulty slave

Views : 245

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 17:08   #1
Turner199

Default Clutch bleed or faulty slave

Hi, I am new so apologies if I am repeating a question asked before.
Volvo S80 2016 manual d4 on 90000 miles.

Losing clutch pressure at pedal. Drops to floor and have to lift with foot and then pump pressure into system, ok for a few miles and then drops again. Absolutely no loss of brake/clutch fluid monitored over 1000 miles whilst I have been on holiday. Just got back (phew, it got me home) and before booking the car into a garage wanted some advise please.

Could there be air in the system and needs bleeding? would be great if it’s as simple as this but I guess this is unlikely as not sure how air as got in with no work having been done on existing system.
I am assuming I need a new slave cylinder but living in hope it’s something simpler / cheaper!
Turner199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 15:55   #2
green van man
Premier Member

The slave cylinder has been known to fail, afraid you are looking at box out to check it so may as well renew it and the clutch while it's in bits. The dual mass flywheel I would carefully assess before going to the expence of changing but it's a 50/50 thing as it's a box out again job when it fails and with 99k on it how long will it last.

I understand it's a 4 or 5 hour job at volvo with their gearbox cradle, so look at your local hourly labour rate for cost. Go to local garage and ask them to quote for the job or diy, both the latter options will probably take longer than volvo without their gearbox cradle.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 18:39   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile thoughts

I guess it might be a problem with the clutch pedal cylinder, as green vm says the csc is the more likely culprit, not familiar with that D4 engine setup you have there, but on earlier D5 engines you would see some clutch fluid leaking out of the hole at the bottom of the bellhousing, but if the pedal is going to the floor maybe its not the csc ? Dmf s in my experience on the older volvos dont seem to have been a problem my S60 had a csc and clutch replaced while apart, but is happily on 140k with the original dmf and no signs of any problem there...but then its about 10yrs older than your S80 !
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 13:04   #4
Model flyer
Master Member

If your not losing fluid then my money is on the clutch master cyl by-passing . If it was a slave cylinder fault then fluid would be leaking from bottom of the bell housing

Simpler to change than the slave cylinder as no engine / gearbox lifting or removal.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post: