Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

All wheel drive service required...

Views : 3480

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 13:44   #11
jmot

Hmmm ok so this is all a bit of a grey area isn't it.

Because the car is drivable VOC are sending a engineer to plug the car in and see if its something they can reset or fix on the driveway.

Fair enough to a point...

I'm going to assume they wouldnt just cancel off a message leaving the systems still impaired...

So basically I said "you are happy for me to drive a vehicle on the road with a key safety feature disabled"... "yes" was the answer.

I also asked so i'm assuming Volvo assumes liability if I have to avoid something and have a crash... VOC Lady declined to answer so I said "i hope calls are recorded"

So yeah, what a big old stinky pile of knackers eh.
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 14:19   #12
jmot

i think it will resolve itself without me having to put on my Angry from Sidcup face the VOC dude said worst case i'll still have to drive it to dealer (tomorrow most likely) but he'll sort a hire car to meet me there.

So..
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 15:15   #13
jmot

So...

Pump in the transfer casing is failed.

Got to drive it to dealer in morning and VOC have sorted me a Thrifty till Monday.

I did mention the winter tyres as only thing thats happened to car and he initially sucked his teeth but when I said they were 235/55 R19's a 100% exact match to the summers he seemed happy I hadn't done anything daft lol

Pretty bad to have a mechanical failure with 4700 miles on the clock and never ever driven it in offroad mode etc.
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 15:20   #14
jmot

might explain why i've gradually noticed more front wheelspin over the last 8 weeks or so if that pump has slowly been failing its not been able to transfer the appropriate power to the rear.

Will see what sack of spuds I get from Thrifty tomorrow lol
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 15:27   #15
jmot

Touch... just been told by Thrifty its a 67 reg xc90.

Well there you go.

Anyone want any spec/test details for my18 cars? ping me tomorrow lol
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 15:28   #16
isleaiw
Master Member

Its not that the issue arises but how it is dealt with that matters - after a shakey start they seem to have got their act together, a credit to Volvo....
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 15:33   #17
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
Its not that the issue arises but how it is dealt with that matters - after a shakey start they seem to have got their act together, a credit to Volvo....
It is all you can ask isn't it. I doubt there is a car sold today that does not suffer some form of gremlin that needs attention.

To be fair though, it's only the members here that told me how to handle it that got me the result I have.

Otherwise I'd still be booked in Tuesday and no courtesy car...

So thanks Volvo forum members
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 15:49   #18
isleaiw
Master Member

Indeed - whatever forum you go on there are people complaining that their new car is a pile of crap and they will never buy again, its easy for a bought in component to fail and its then down to the service you get..

That's why we join these places - collective knowledge to help us get the best outcome!
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 15:55   #19
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
Indeed - whatever forum you go on there are people complaining that their new car is a pile of crap and they will never buy again, its easy for a bought in component to fail and its then down to the service you get..

That's why we join these places - collective knowledge to help us get the best outcome!
And to be fair, a lot (not all i know!) of failures that we've seen on the forum over the last 2 years for SPA cars have been non mechanical.

:wq
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 18:24   #20
jmot

ended up with a new Disco Sport. Reminds you how big the xc90 is and how much nicer it is than the LR.... but then the xc90 is the class above a disco sport...

SO... turns out for some reason the oil in the rear transfer case is like sludge so something like a pump and filter have gone pop which would explain the last 8 weeks or so noticing more and more wheel spin from front.

Got a call saying they are going to continue working on it tomorrow so yeah... might be fixed by Monday, might not.