Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Window Films

Views : 930

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 15:12   #1
AlastairL

Default Window Films

My 850 estate doesn't have AC, and we are returning to France this year. Does anybody have any experience of these films you can place on the inside of the windows to keep the UV at bay, and the car a bit cooler. Any brand names etc?

Alastair Lauener
AlastairL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 15:37   #2
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Default RE: Window Films

Hi Alistair,

TOAD have a VERY good reputation for window tints (i assume that's what film you mean), they are a franchise company but have very good training (but I can't guarantee each branch are perfect). Unfortunatley they have a good price aswell, i was quoted £400+ to get my 854 tinted alround.

or my local Auto Windscreen shop does window film, not sure if its a local thing or nationwide (but its worth asking)

Hope this helps
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:06   #3
mcroot

I've had a couple of 4x4s done with film and have been very happy with the results. They were done by South Coast Tints in Southampton and I paid £160 cash for a Range Rover, so it's not too expensive. It is surprisingly durable and is still in good condition after 2 years with just a few small scratches to show. I'm not sure of the film make as they use it off big rolls. Just make sure they fit it well and and will be there if you get a problem.

Be aware that the Police look due to crack down on very dark tints on front side windows - the dark tint applied by the factory to Chrysler Voyagers is actually illegal!
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 09:59   #4
sheerwater
Master Member

Hi,
Ive heard that they are going to make the tints illegal as well. Something to do with obscuring the vision. Yes Chrysler voyagers are illegal which is why Tony Blair has one!!!!! Cheers Nige.
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 21:35   #5
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Yes but who's going to pull Tony over & check his windows???.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:29   #6
kenbitt

Hi ALL

One of the lads i work with has had his Renault Clio tinted and as far as LEGALITY goes this is what he was told ......

Generally there are tints rated 1 thru 5 , 1 being perfectly legal and 2 thru 5 illegal. He was also told the police are being given !!NEW!! light guns for the purpose of testing these tints as it seems they are getting more and more popular. You are not allowed to further tint the windscreen other than what the manufacturer supplied. You can put what ever grade of tint you like on the rear glass the only windows of concern to the " boys in blue " are the drivers and passenger windows anything goes for the rest. He got grade 2 ALL round ( not windscreen ) silly boy but has not yet been bothered by the law as yet. This was done at a cost of £240 and i must say the firm has done an excellent job though you cannot operate the windows for 7 days after fitting to allow the glue to set properly. I`m now thinking of getting my Black 850-r done grade 1 ALL round Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Hope this helps

Mark
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 19:51   #7
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Hi Mark,

in Coventry they've had these guns for a while, unfortuntley i don't think they know how to use them as they failed standard Nova windows without a tint. They also tried to charge my mate for having tinted rear windows as the log book didn't class it as a van.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:23   #8
markas
VOC Member

>My 850 estate doesn't have AC, and we are returning to France
>this year. Does anybody have any experience of these films
>you can place on the inside of the windows to keep the UV at
>bay, and the car a bit cooler. Any brand names etc?
>
>Alastair Lauener
>
Hi Alastair,

When i was at the dealer meeting this week i seem some really good hady work. Gary of the dealer says it cost about 500 quid to do out the new v70r. They have tried other people who are cheaper but customers have complained.

I thing the conpany is called automotiv tint, give gary at Volvo Harretts wakefield a call and ask him. I am thinking about having my done.01924 254573

mark
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:09   #9
NugentS
Me

I have had my S70 done and I like the effect. The only problem being that sometimes when in a hurry I just release the seat belt. The force with which this whips back has marked the drivers windows when the buckle bashes into the window...

Irritating

Sean
NugentS is offline   Reply With Quote