Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Grayston Spring assister

Views : 7486

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2009, 14:15   #1
pogo

Wink Grayston Spring assister

Hi there
I have a S60 D5 2003, and I looking to fit a pair of Grayston spring assiters, to rear, to help with height while towing. I fitted these to my other Volvo (940) and have found them to be very good.
My question has anyone else fitted these to a S60 and if so can they remember the size to use. I know I should jack the car and measure but if anyone has done this before and knowns the size, it will save me doing the same again.

Thanks for any help.
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 14:38   #2
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
Hi there
I have a S60 D5 2003, and I looking to fit a pair of Grayston spring assiters, to rear, to help with height while towing. I fitted these to my other Volvo (940) and have found them to be very good.
My question has anyone else fitted these to a S60 and if so can they remember the size to use. I know I should jack the car and measure but if anyone has done this before and knowns the size, it will save me doing the same again.

Thanks for any help.
Grayston have a website here http://www.springassisters.co.uk/menu.htm

But they don't list a S60 give them a call or e-mail them

I have just fitted a set to my V70

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimDay For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2009, 15:21   #3
pogo

Red face

Thanks for that. I called them today and they said that the GE 15 will fit the car, all I need to do now is order a pair and fit them.
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 23:57   #4
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

They sell them at towsure as well www.towsure.com maybe a bit cheaper just type spring assisters in the search window

Think it may be the 26-39mm you need to check jack the car up till the rear wheel is off the ground & measure the gap between the coils.
BUT MAKE SURE YOU SUPPORT THE CAR ON AN AXLE STAND BEFORE YOU GET UNDER IT

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth

Last edited by JimDay; May 19th, 2009 at 00:03.
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 00:30   #5
v70keith

Thanks for the link Jim, just ordered a set of G15's from Towsure as same model as yours. I recently purchsed a Compass Magnum Classic, first time out a couple of weeks ago v70 was a bit low on the rear and as load levelers are not an option at present (finishing a barn conversion), these should do the job nicely.

For those who wish to know the Compass weight max is 1551Kg and behaves perfectly with the German tow hitch/stabiliser fitted as standard - at all legal UK speeds.

Cheers and a very helpful forum...:-)
v70keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 23:34   #6
wezo00

I purchased the AS5 (40mm-50mm) from Towsure and they are to big for my 05 V70 AWD. I had a hard time to put it into the rear spring! I also had to cut ends to get them smaller (so less to insert). As JimDay said, you better go with the AS4 (26mm-39mm).
wezo00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:53   #7
gillberry
VOC Member

Volvos must be a fairly standard size as we bought AS4 (26-39mm) for our estate to improve the ride height and boy it makes a big difference on ride height and handling
From this

To this

I know it doesn't look massively different but those extra inches of ride height do show .
And ours came from towsure .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 20:59   #8
Andys101

Just a suggestion ....... get the nose weight right
Andys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andys101 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 12:08   #9
stevenball

I have used both the spring assisters, the progressive supplementary spring that sits inside your existing set-up and the hammer in rubber type.

I have just bought a 1999 V70 and have given a set from Grayston to the dealer to fit pre-delivery of the car.

The rubber type that have to be banged into the springs were a nightmare to fit, I would go for the spring type every time from now on.

The benefit of the progressive spring type is that they only start to work when loaded, the rest of the time you don't know they are there. The rubber type that fit into the springs work whether there is load on the car or not so you have to live with the stiffer ride all the time.
stevenball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 10:48   #10
mrmotorx

I have the same problem and am looking into the spring assistors. nose weight is spot on, i bought a nose weight gauge. Whilst on the v70 it drops and sits quite low. I don't put anything in the boot to try to help. On my other tow car, galaxy ! it doesn't drop at all. The assistors will be a short term fix as the next step is to replace the rear suspension to see if this helps at all, cars done 102k miles so i don't think replacing the suspension will be over due.
mrmotorx is offline   Reply With Quote