Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery being drained while stationary

Views : 2257

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2014, 14:54   #1
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Default Battery being drained while stationary

Hi All,
It might be because of the wet weather, and the inside of the car is humid at the moment, but it seems that the battery is draining while the car is not being used. Leaving it for more than 12 hours seems to be enough to drain the battery.

The battery has been checked OK, and the alternator is working fine because the car runs well otherwise. I notice immediately after switching the engine off today I put a multimeter across the battery and it was dropping appreciably at 0.01Volt per second, and when I took a terminal off to isolate the battery the drop was much much slower.

So - from experience of 240s is there a typical culprit for this battery drain?

And - what would be the first port of call regarding testing? How about I put a multimeter across the battery and see if the drain stops when I remove individual fuses, to find out if it's one of those circuits? Or is the drain likely to be happening from a circuit that doesn't run through the fusebox?

Thanks for reading this and any suggestions much appreciated.
John H

1992 240SE B200F Manual
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 15:16   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Pulling the fuses out one at a time is the best route. However, do not put them back as you go. When you find the circuit that appears to be the culprit leave the fuse out and start replacing the other fuses one at a time and rechecking. By leaving out the one where there is a load and checking the others as you reinsert them you eliminate the possibility off more circuits draining as well.

Hopefully it will be just the one circuit. Then it will be a case of working out what causes the drain. A common one on saloons is the boot light left on.

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 15:20   #3
jjcymru

measure current draw between live and earth on the body. get an assistant to pull fuses one at a time. if the draw drops you know which circuit is at fault and then have a better starting point.
jjcymru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjcymru For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 21:15   #4
Yaxley

Try the suggestions for localisation above, also check for any random or odd behaviour of lights etc, frayed cables to doors/tailgate/boot, any wiring near the engine that chafes as it vibrates (protected by plastic sleeves that wear eventually), and the 240 disintegrating door lock switches on the drivers door (that can energise the locks while you sleep).
Yaxley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yaxley For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 23:16   #5
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Thanks Yaxley
That could be a top tip because as it happens the driver's door central locking went kaput a few weeks ago - I assumed because it got wet during the heavy rain over Xmas.

Tomorrow I'll do the fusebox test as suggested and see which circuit is shorted, though that driver's door lock could well be the problem.

Cheers
John H
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 03:12   #6
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Basics first. Ensure glovebox, bonnet and any other lights aren't sticking on.

Do checks the guys above said, then be thinking about alternator. Certain diodes and resistors go which can cause over-charging and sometimes others go which causes a drain on battery.

Before being alarmist, in the dark, turn off ignition on car, wait for courtesy light goes out and inspect carefully for any signs of glimmers of light in cab with att to glove box, radio, dash illum'.

The alternator drain is rare and most common causes are sticking switches and faulty earths.

Keep me posted pls.

Bongo.

Last edited by bongodave; Jan 16th, 2014 at 03:23.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 12:28   #7
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

Immobiliser / alarm fitted?
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 13:16   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

"when I took a terminal off to isolate the battery the drop was much much slower."

So are you saying that the battery is still discharging at a measureable level, noticeable on a meter, when it's isolated by removing one of the cables?

If so there is an internal short and the battery is kaput.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 13:18   #9
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
"when I took a terminal off to isolate the battery the drop was much much slower."

So are you saying that the battery is still discharging at a measureable level, noticeable on a meter, when it's isolated by removing one of the cables?

If so there is an internal short and the battery is kaput.
Didn't see that bit. Cell shorted as said. New battery.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 21:15   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I was wondering how the battery has been tested. Is it fully sealed or can the electrolyte water be hydrometer tested cell by cell? You might find one cell is, er, yuk.

And as a fundamental test, if you charge the battery and keep it totally disconnected, does it hold its charge?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical gremlins