Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti Skid Dervice / Wipers on all the time

Views : 2030

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 13:45   #1
G-V50

Default Anti Skid Dervice / Wipers on all the time

Hi All,

I'm new to this site, but have been reading through a few posts to try and diagnose what is wrong with my car!

I have a 55 plate V50 2.0D SE which is a great car to drive, when it is not going wrong! I had the great joy of being towed back from Devon on Sunday when the car decided to break completely!

1st the wipers would not turn off and none of the stalks worked no indicators etc, then it would not lock, then the boot would not open, then around three warning messages came up on the screen saying "anti - skid service requiered" and SRS airbag failure.

Has anyone experieinced anything like this with their car. I have bought this car as a long term investment and am not pleased with reliability so far, the car has gone to squire furneaux in guildford and they said they have ordered a new wiring loom for the car. I hope this cures it!

any advice on this subject would be greatly received as I feel I could be in for an uphill struggle!
G-V50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 17:32   #2
tingy
VOC Member

A NEW WIRING LOOM FOR THE CAR SWEET MOTHER OF *** how much is that i hope its a warranty job
tingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 10:34   #3
G-V50

The car is under an extended warranty until 2009 as I bought it used, so yes luckily still under warranty!
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 01:09   #4
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

had the same problem with a v50 2.0d loaner, same anti skid message and the alarm went off for no reason, dodgy wiring in em
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 12:56   #5
G-V50

Picked up my car yesterday, the car had a new loom in both doors and a new ECU /CanBus. it does concern me as I've always owned VW's before and never had any problems.

A car this new should not be failing so catastrophically, really nervous for when the warranty runs out, though I fear I may not be a Volvo owner by then! As i am soon to discover the horror of Volvo service pricing!
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 23:01   #6
Fokker 100

For a couple of weeks I haven’t been able to switch on my main beams on my Feb 06 V50; so I have been driving around with dipped headlights only and it can be very dark where I live.

As I was going to have to take the car to the dealers for its 60000 km service (I live in France at the moment) I thought they would fix it at the same time – should only be a relay I figured.

How wrong I was! There are no relays here (not like my Land Rover). Instead, I was explained, everything goes through a solid-state module, the CEM 31254903 (Central Electronic Module), which does almost everything on this car.

Cost of the module: 998 euros, cost of loading the software onto the module: 48 euros, cost of labour: about 150 euros.

Yes, 1200 euros for fixing what is basically a relay not switching on the headlights. Can I express here how gutted I feel? On the Land Rover it would have been a tenner and I could have done it myself.

This is a car that’s 2 ½ years old and has 57000 km on the clock we are talking about. If car manufacturers decide to replace old-fashioned technology by state-of-the-art technology, I would expect there would be a gain for us customers, somehow, like more reliability and durability. If it turns to be less reliable and astronomically more expensive, where’s the progress I ask?

This V50 is my second Volvo (after a V40) and I have, so far, been very happy with both. I have to admit to feeling seriously cheesed off with Volvo at the moment. I have written a 2-page letter to the customer service department and I am awaiting their reply. If they have any sense of customer care, they will offer to take a substantial part of the cost on themselves.

Anyone else has had a similar experience?
Fokker 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 12:21   #7
7050man
Master Member

I think there (but I can't be 100% sure) that there is a modification that replaces conectors to the CEM. New pins and better solderered joints.

This is not the same as the known door loom and connector problems.

Volvo I understand won't fit this unless problems have been reported, so if your car shows these strange software/control type fsymptoms, then it may be well worth asking.

Can anyone verify this?
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 12:30   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

a faulty siren Could cause this , try unplugging it , under the windsceeen scuttle panel behind battery . but if it's warranty let them get on with it ..
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 16:25   #9
albertofrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-V50 View Post
Hi All,

I'm new to this site, but have been reading through a few posts to try and diagnose what is wrong with my car!

I have a 55 plate V50 2.0D SE which is a great car to drive, when it is not going wrong! I had the great joy of being towed back from Devon on Sunday when the car decided to break completely!

1st the wipers would not turn off and none of the stalks worked no indicators etc, then it would not lock, then the boot would not open, then around three warning messages came up on the screen saying "anti - skid service requiered" and SRS airbag failure.

Has anyone experieinced anything like this with their car. I have bought this car as a long term investment and am not pleased with reliability so far, the car has gone to squire furneaux in guildford and they said they have ordered a new wiring loom for the car. I hope this cures it!

any advice on this subject would be greatly received as I feel I could be in for an uphill struggle!

Last week the "anti-skid service required" message appeared in my display - luckily my '06 2.0D Sport V50 is still under warranty, however, the invoice from the main dealer showed that total cost of repairs was c. £1,000 including replacement of the 'hydraulic modulator unit' (part alone £816).

In addition the car had developed starting problems - only firing up on the second turn of the key. This has been addressed by fitting a new EGR valve (part alone £174). I'm not yet convinced the starting problem is fully rectified.

I too am now very concerned about the reliability of the V50, despite otherwise liking the car. At the least I'll be taking out an extended warranty if I decide to keep the car beyond summer '09 when the main warranty ends - the sight of a £1,300 invoice, albeit under warranty, is not attractive.

BTW - I've only got 17k miles on the clock from new.
albertofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 19:13   #10
bgjuk

Today I had this problem with wipers always on, anti-skid service warning, and indicators not working, and over the last few months intermittent central locking and electric windows not working.

I believe this was all due to bad contacts in the junction box in the passenger footwell - the CEM?

I removed all the connectors and removed it from the vehicle (disconnected the -ve battery terminal first of course). Then removed all the relays and fuses, prised open the casing and removed the circuit board stack whilst wearing a grounding wrist-strap for good measure. There was some circuit board corrosion, but mostly around the periphery of the board. A careful scrub with a toothbrush loaded with electrical contact cleaner, rinse with deionised water, dry for a couple of hours in the sun and reassambled, and all appears well!

I also found a bent pin in one of the connectors that may have been inserted into an adjacent connector receptacle - perhaps from a previous repair? Also, a wire from one of the looms had become bit mangled by being caught up in one of the connector levers.

Fingers crossed, this will only have cost me £4.50 for the contact cleaner to repair...
bgjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bgjuk For This Useful Post: