Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 1.6d c30 excessive smoke

Views : 3066

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2014, 18:05   #1
Jlo31

Default 2011 1.6d c30 excessive smoke

Hi,

My father has a 2011 c30 1.6D which he bought over a year ago from a car supermarket with very low mileage. Warranty expired in March and although it has had a volvo service at 7k the car supermarket serviced it before my Dad picked it up.

It's run fine for a year but a few weeks ago while driving up a hill the engine Managment light came on the the car stuttered to a halt. Recovered (thank you auto aid) to volvo dealer who diagnosed 2 faulty injectors. Initial bill £1200 but volvo kindly paid 60% as goodwill and Dad paid for a full service as well as it was due one. Car now has only done 14k.

He picked car up and did a long drive and later that day power was reduced and a warning 'reduced engine power' displayed. It was quite drivable but would not rev much over 2k.

Garage picked up car the next and returned saying all fine and no fault found.

Yesterday my parents came over to visit and I noticed as they pulled away lots and lots of smoke coming out of the exhaust. I suggested him driving today and asking someone to follow behind. It seemed to be excessively smoking when driving slowly or lightly touching the throttle or even when decelerating??

I drive a fiesta 1.6d ecotech which I believe is the same engine and while you may get some smoke on hard acceleration or when dpf is under regeneration it runs very cleanly.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? His good to take it in to volvo again tomorrow.

Thanks.

James
Jlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 12:18   #2
D5C30

It shouldn't smoke, not with a DPF, how does the turbo sound? Any strange whistling?

Also, how is it driven? Does it usually go over 2k rpm or is it driven really lightly?
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 13:37   #3
Jlo31

My Father does low mileage but tries to only use his car on a longer trip and yes does rev above 2k. Re whistle I'm not sure but I'll ask him. Before his initial breakdown it ran beautifully and did not smoke at all.

Thanks for the reply.

Kind regards

James
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 14:13   #4
D5C30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo31 View Post
My Father does low mileage but tries to only use his car on a longer trip and yes does rev above 2k. Re whistle I'm not sure but I'll ask him. Before his initial breakdown it ran beautifully and did not smoke at all.

Thanks for the reply.

Kind regards

James
Ok that sounds good. When driven very economically they can become excessively blocked causing performance and smoke issues.

From experience with things like this on a V50 I think it could be a EGR issue or a Turbo issue but I can't say 100% but those should be good starting points. If the turbo sounds ok and there is no whistling I would suggest starting with the EGR.

Getting the fault codes read by someone would probably be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 22:49   #5
Jlo31

Thanks. My Dad popped in today and it's booked in on Thursday to be looked at again although they said it's probably dpf filter regenerating?? I'm meeting up with him on Wednesday so will be able to follow him for a short while and we can see if it's still smoking.
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 16:06   #6
D5C30

Quote:
Thanks. My Dad popped in today and it's booked in on Thursday to be looked at again although they said it's probably dpf filter regenerating?? I'm meeting up with him on Wednesday so will be able to follow him for a short while and we can see if it's still smoking.
He's done the best thing, they should be able to sort it. I've never heard of it smoking when the DPF is regenerating, mine certainly never did.
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 21:55   #7
Jlo31

Just an update. I met up with my Father today and I drove his car gently around a car park. Every time I moved off a big puff of black smoke was deposited out the exhaust.

I then followed my Dad and while accelerating and driving there was no smoke but once pulled up at a junction or if it had been idling for a few moments it would admit lots of smoke for a few seconds while moving away again. Performance seemed fine.

His booked in to volvo on a friday once again so he can give them this info.

Cheers

James
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 16:28   #8
D5C30

Quote:
Just an update. I met up with my Father today and I drove his car gently around a car park. Every time I moved off a big puff of black smoke was deposited out the exhaust.

I then followed my Dad and while accelerating and driving there was no smoke but once pulled up at a junction or if it had been idling for a few moments it would admit lots of smoke for a few seconds while moving away again. Performance seemed fine.

His booked in to volvo on a friday once again so he can give them this info.

Cheers

James
Almost certainly not DPF then unless it's completely failed. Thanks for keeping us updated though I'm interested to hear what the outcome is.
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 20:47   #9
Jlo31

Ok an update.

Even though no warning lights were showing on dash, volvo diagnostics showed the third injector is now faulty. (Two were replaced a couple of weeks ago see top of thread) His decided just to pay and have 4th injector replaced to be on the safe side in case that fails too. I wonder if the car was mis fuelled by the previous owner and that caused damage to the injectors. My father has owned the car for just under 12 months and up till now it's been trouble free.

So next Friday it's booked in for the work to be done just in time for his trip abroad.

Cheers.

James

Last edited by Jlo31; Aug 22nd, 2014 at 21:29.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 20:54   #10
howeler

Wink V30 smoking

I purchased a c30 in feb this year knowing full well it had problems i have had the engine top end re built i fitted a new turbo due to a blue smoke issue at about 150 miles. it would smoke then nothing perfect. when removing the air filter i found a small pool of oil. also oil in the rocker box breather pipe because of this it seems an oil build up eventually has to go some where and hey ho its into the turbo. so as of this evening i have made a mod between breather pipe and the turbo air intake to create a filter but making sure air circulation is key.
if this works i will be making another out of alloy as a permanent fixture.
i suggest checking hose between air filter and turbo/filter and i bet its oiled up
howeler is offline   Reply With Quote