Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 starter problem...again

Views : 4031

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 11:35   #1
V50OwnerTurbo

Default V50 starter problem...again

Hello fellow Volvo Owners,

I bought my 2005 V50 2.0D in the winter 12/13 with 94000 km on it.
Since then last year I changed the alternator and battery, brake pads, interior filters, wheel bearing right back and again the battery on the Volvo warranty.

I have already read the numerous problems about starting issues with the 2.0D.
A lot about the switch. I will give you a chronological abstract about the problem that from first appearing to completely shutting the car off, just took 48h.

Day 1 Thursday:
Started in the morning when I tried to start the car. The starter motor wouldn't crank the motor over freely. There was something that made it hard for it to crank the engine at normal speed, but it turned on.

Next 3 starts it was totally fine. No problems. Normal starter engine speed. No warning lights.

Than one again, really hard for the starter to crank engine over. Warning light with red triangle went on. "Maintananced on the electrical system urgent required!"

Than on the next try, you would just here the magnet switch from the starter tick when ignition was turned to 3 but no starter crank. We managed to push start the diesel and I got home. I push started the car several times. In the meantime I would get errors like: stability system shut off, powers tearing maintenance required.

Day 2 Friday:
The messages got worse and worse and while I was driving the power steering shut itself off and than an error said brakes are failing, immediately turn onto the side.
Than I couldn't even jump start the car anymore. Luckily I was on a hill and I could sail home without an engine.

I called the Adac and the guy (wouldn't listen to you, very ignorant, know-all unfortunately) measured the battery and said it is definitely the battery. When I stopped before, I knew it isn't the battery, because we tried 4 different new batteries, even with he old one completely out if the car and the magnetic switch and starter would make the same noise.
The battery when the guy measured it had 11,8V.
He was so dead ignorantly sure about himself that it definitely should be the battery that I took him by his stupid words and dropped the dead battery to my Volvo dealer. They measured it again and it said "replace the battery".

I ordered a new battery and put it in on day 3, yesterday, but it didn't made any difference. Some clack from the magnetic switch but no starter motor engaged.

I guessed the first time that it would be the starter motor, but what really baseless me was that the battery was that empty. The alternator came in new just a year ago and the new battery would turn over the starter either.

I am about to order a replacement starter but I want to consolidate some people beforehand who have an idea if my idea of replacing the starter would be a solver.
V50OwnerTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 12:04   #2
jeffmasson

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50OwnerTurbo View Post

Since then last year I changed the alternator and battery, brake pads, interior filters, wheel bearing right back and again the battery on the Volvo warranty.

A lot about the switch. I will give you a chronological abstract about the problem that from first appearing to completely shutting the car off, just took 48h.

Day 1 Thursday:
Started in the morning when I tried to start the car. The starter motor wouldn't crank the motor over freely. There was something that made it hard for it to crank the engine at normal speed, but it turned on.

Next 3 starts it was totally fine. No problems. Normal starter engine speed. No warning lights.

Than one again, really hard for the starter to crank engine over. Warning light with red triangle went on. "Maintananced on the electrical system urgent required!"

Than on the next try, you would just here the magnet switch from the starter tick when ignition was turned to 3 but no starter crank. We managed to push start the diesel and I got home. I push started the car several times. In the meantime I would get errors like: stability system shut off, powers tearing maintenance required.

Day 2 Friday:
The messages got worse and worse and while I was driving the power steering shut itself off and than an error said brakes are failing, immediately turn onto the side.
Than I couldn't even jump start the car anymore. Luckily I was on a hill and I could sail home without an engine.

I called the Adac and the guy (wouldn't listen to you, very ignorant, know-all unfortunately) measured the battery and said it is definitely the battery. When I stopped before, I knew it isn't the battery, because we tried 4 different new batteries, even with he old one completely out if the car and the magnetic switch and starter would make the same noise.
He was so dead ignorantly sure about himself that it definitely should be the battery that I took him by his stupid words and dropped the dead battery to my Volvo dealer. They measured it again and it said "replace the battery".

I ordered a new battery and put it in on day 3, yesterday, but it didn't made any difference. Some clack from the magnetic switch but no starter motor engaged.

I guessed the first time that it would be the starter motor, but what really baseless me was that the battery was that empty. The alternator came in new just a year ago and the new battery would turn over the starter either.

I am about to order a replacement starter but I want to consolidate some people beforehand who have an idea if my idea of replacing the starter would be a solver.
it might be worth checking the voltage on the starter motor when you turn the key to rule out a problem else where.
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 12:12   #3
V50OwnerTurbo

Thanks Jeff.
I will do that as soon I am home this week.
Maybe it is worth noting that the day before all hell broke loose, I was almost running out of diesel and the engine got into shutter mode. It wouldn't accelerate evenly anymore. A message from the ecu that you should really now get some fuel.
But I question that that has anything to do with the starter.
I read that I could replace the mega fuse in the wire from the battery to the starter motor myself. When changing he starter I will do that in one wash.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 18:49   #4
V50OwnerTurbo

Can anybody pn me a link to a replacement guide for the starter?
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 10:12   #5
MJC60

Cool Solution ?

I have recently boiught an 04 plate V50 and have exactly the same issues.
It would be useful to have the final solution to this problem on this thread.
I am about to go down the 'replace starter motor' route and some reassurance on this would be very useful!
MJC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 23:30   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC60 View Post
It would be useful to have the final solution to this problem on this thread.
OP hasn't been on for 6 years so unlikely unfortunately.
Starter motors are simple enough to test though so no need to replace if the data doesn't suggest it's the source of the problem.
Old Aug 30th, 2020, 11:52   #7
johnystrange

Default Starter issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50OwnerTurbo View Post

Day 1 Thursday:

Day 2 Friday:

I’d definitely replace the starter. Reason being, if your starter is running slowly with a new battery then there is a restriction. Your brushes are most probably toast and they are most probably arcing across the gap which will dramatically increases the amperage to turn it. The carbon has probably built up around the armature and brush cages and it could be allowing a flow of current from your battery and draining your battery.

The only other idea I’ve had other than the starter is a head gasket problem and water hydraulic locking the cylinder on start up. This is fairly common but does not explain the Other electrical issues you’re facing. I’d definitely go with the starter and make sure all your earth straps are in good condition otherwise your return path will be restricted and another cause of your starter running slowly.

Best of luck!
johnystrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, starter problems, v50