Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Breakdown Provider?

Views : 1140

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2020, 08:38   #11
crashbarrier

Blacklab,
That's interesting especially as we have just renewed with the RAC after a small bit of haggling which always works. It doesn't make sense that 'premium' car brands would just use any old guy, or lady (phew, that was close), to attend so there must be some sort of vetting if they don't use established businesses.
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 22:54   #12
blacklab

Yes it’s surprising how much you can get off come renewal time, loyalty doesn’t mean anything these days.
You would think they are vetted etc, I guess it’s down to the individual who turns up as to how good they are.
Had to use RAC when in Falmouth a few years ago on holiday due to cowboys cross threading the brake pipes on the abs module so fluid jetted out when brakes were applied, lost all fluid. I asked for a patrolman and they were very good and they passed the job over to a local recovery firm once he realised he couldn’t do anything. Tonkin was the firm, excellent guys. Couldn’t fault both recovery firms. Was given a car to finish our holiday and get home and Tonkin bought our car back to our choice of garage and took theirs back.
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blacklab For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 11:25   #13
olszewm

My experience with Volvo breakdown cover is very positive. While driving to Poland for Christmas in 2018, my XC60 broke down in Calais. A local breakdown truck turned up very quickly, however, he couldn't do anything at the roadside as the alternator gave up the ghost. Since it was the weekend and the local Volvo garage was closed, they have put up us in Holiday Inn and took the car to the dealer.
Once the dealer has opened they said they would have to order the part but it would take at least till Friday to receive and replace it. Since Christmas was fast approaching and we wanted to spend it with our family in the mountains we agreed with Volvo that we could get a large courtesy car (BMW) for two weeks part paid by the breakdown insurance and the local Volvo dealer. We would collect our car on our way back to the UK.
At all time the communication with Volvo was faultless and we were given updates every couple of hours while we were trying to come up with a solution on how to save our Christmas. Not to mention that the stay in the hotel was covered by insurance.
The only problem was that the BMW had summer tyres and we would be driving mostly on snow and ice covered, narrow, twisty mountain roads! But that was just a minor issue for us in the greater scheme of things
olszewm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olszewm For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 13:29   #14
BrianH
VOC Member

Default Continental Brake down on a 245 GL High Mileage on LPG

A few years ago i broke down in Germany on our way down to Venice.
Called my well known cover. I had forgotten to get cover for Europe!!

Stuck no help from them of course.... As I run on LPG and had switched to petrol, as power failed on the Autobahn, and coasted off an exit. So it was not fuel it must be electrical.

Checked everything I could think of, but there was no spark. (The solution was so simple I could have been under way in 10 minutes but I left it at home, a liitle bit heavy, for a long journey).

It was a lovely warm day, and on a grassy bank under a shade my wife was smiling and in reminding me Volvo NEVER brake down!!!

Just scratching my head when a local man gave assistance saying have you rung 222 for rescue. News to me ( must do my research). The truck arrived and he had no English. He insisted it was the amplifier, but I had changed that only months before. So of to Volvo. Cost for this was £120 for 12 miles.

The service manger was good, really good. He put two techs on it straight away. Checked everything. Then scratched their head. So pointed to the coil. AH! yes I've got an old 740, I'll get that......vverrrooommm. Off she went.

I had been carrying a coil for years too!!

Charge £17. Can you believe it. He was very interested in the 245. said it was a very old car for such a long journey, and what do call this exhaust ( stainless steel)

Now I belong to Brittania and they are very good. They have rescued, bad earth on the alternator, a burnt exhaust valve, a failed front wheel bearing, and a slave that pushed through clutch fulcrum lever.

Brianh 740,000 mls
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianH For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 12:30   #15
Robbie34

This month's [I]Which?[I]has a review of motoring breakdown services and rates Volvo's as poor , which is run by AGA, whoever they are. They also provide cover for BMW, which is also marked down. Honda and Toyota are rated highly who are served by the AA.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 13:15   #16
crashbarrier

Robbie34 can I be cheeky and ask where the RAC were in the list this year?
I was a long time subscriber to Which? until recently but gave it up as it's just so expensive and I struggled to see where I was getting the value from it.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 15:34   #17
Robbie34

RAC was 8th out of 11 with rating of 62%.

Volvo had 67%. Toyota Care and Honda Care had 87% and 86% respectively. Both provided by AA.

Who are AGA? I have never heard of them.

AA, Select Rescue and LV Britannia Rescue were recommended providers by Which.

Last edited by Robbie34; Jun 28th, 2020 at 15:40.
Robbie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbie34 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 15:39   #18
crashbarrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie34 View Post
RAC was 8th out of 11 with rating of 62%
Oh, great! I knew I shouldn't have renewed with them. They used to be at the top but have clearly slid down for one reason or another. Financial cutbacks, staffing and investment probably.

I've no idea who AGA is.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 16:19   #19
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie34 View Post
This month's [I]Which?[I]has a review of motoring breakdown services and rates Volvo's as poor , which is run by AGA, whoever they are. They also provide cover for BMW, which is also marked down. Honda and Toyota are rated highly who are served by the AA.
After many years of on and off Membership of Which? I would implore people to take its findings with a truckload of salt.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 17:12   #20
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Unless it's changed recently its Allianz.

AGA being Allianz Global Assist.

My only dealing with them was fine, snapped wheel nut, couldn't do anything about it, happily they send a recovery truck in the first instance and not a bloke in a van so off it went, taxi for me and loan car delivered later that day. All at their cost making the Volvo service cost effective for that episode.

Last edited by Bendolfc; Jun 28th, 2020 at 17:16.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote