Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Got myself an 850 SE

Views : 10246

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2020, 16:07   #21
Cookeh
Premier Member

Oh, there should be trim pieces in the roof lining that they hook into. Same for by the rear grab handles as they can also be used when seats are folded flat.
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 20:38   #22
4x4
I roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Save yourself some money and also get decent service by nit using PFV - he sells far too much low grade aftermarket with an attitude to match
Never bought anything from them, but have looked and wondered about the quality. Also note Charlton Volvo Centre sell a lot of cheap copy parts that are a waste of money. Previous owner of my car bought a pair of headlight wiper blades from them, they were 8 months old when I bought the car and the rust on them was terrible... For an extra couple of pounds compared to Charlton prices I bought some genuine blades and expect they will last more than 8 months
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 10:38   #23
RaelG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Oh, there should be trim pieces in the roof lining that they hook into. Same for by the rear grab handles as they can also be used when seats are folded flat.
Thank you sir I shall take a look at the weekend and see if I can figure it out.

Separate point: I'm waiting for a Haynes manual to turn up but in the meantime I wondered if anyone could tell me exactly what lambda sensor my car needs (the warning light is on so I will change this first in the hope that is the issue and not another part of the system). I've looked on a few sites but there seems to be a great deal of choice. I'm just impatient and would like to get a replacement ordered ASAP.
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 11:04   #24
4x4
I roll

Should be this one...

Best checking before spending money
Volvo 850 GLT website
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 13:42   #25
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

The 'Lambda' light may not be due to the lambda sensor. As I recall they used a lambda symbol on that warning light but it is an overall engine warning light, it could just be that it hasn't been reset after a service, in order to find out you need to read the fault codes (a phrase you'll find many times on this forum), if you've got a Haynes manual coming then it's covered in chapter 4A section 9 and 5B-3. If it's the older style diagnostic there's two little boxes with a fly lead and a blinking led in front of the airfilter housing next to the screenwash filler, or a later model may have a diagnostic port next to the gear lever, the diagnostic port may be labelled OBDII but may not actually be OBDII so be careful before leaping to buy a reader, hopefully someone better versed in it will advise.

If you do have to replace the lambda sensor stick to good brands like NGK or Bosch, some of the unknown brands will work for a short while when you fit them but fail very quickly.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg

Last edited by DaveNP; Jun 19th, 2020 at 13:45.
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 13:53   #26
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Gotta strongly agree with the above, the so-called "Lambda" light is the main engine management fault light, it's indicating there's a fault in the engine management system, but it could be ANYTHING - randomly changing sensors is time consuming and expensive, and you stand a very real chance of introducing another fault or at best a poor quality sensor when there's nothing wrong with the old one.

Find a way of reading the fault codes, clear it/them and then see what comes back and go from there would be very strong advice here.
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 14:49   #27
4x4
I roll

Options I have found for code reading the 850

VOL-FCR is about the most comprehensive diagnostics you will get for the 850 and costs in the region of £126 plus you need a laptop running Windows XP and an appropriate cable to connect the laptop to OBD port Link here...CLICK

850 OBDII app is available for around £1.50 from the Google store, it runs on an android phone but the difficult part is finding an appropriate bluetooth dongle that will speak to the 850 ECU Link for app here... CLICK

Flash code reader
Costs a couple of pounds to build and easy to use, codes referenced in the Haynes manual so you can diagnose the fault

Made this one up for my 850

Volvo 850 GLT website
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 15:51   #28
RaelG

I had done some reading prior to buying the car about the lambda light and is being a general engine management light which could be anything, I guess I was going to try the sensor first as the seller specifically said it was the sensor, but thinking about it they may have just made the assumption based upon the warning light being the lambda sign.

Great advice guys, this is exactly why I like forums and appreciate your time and expertise.

So I think I need to get a reader, which makes sense. In terms of the diagnostic port it is an OBDII as I have seen the wording on the coin holder and, while cleaning I pulled the holder out and could physically see the little port underneath.

I believe I will go with the flash code reader route, by the sounds of it it is something similar I had on my old MX5 where it plugs in to the port into specific port holes (or whatever they're called) and then you have to count the flashes which then relate to a specific fault. Clever stuff.

I stumbled across this while wandering around the forum, is this what you did Mr 4x4? https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=83897
The Following User Says Thank You to RaelG For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 16:41   #29
4x4
I roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaelG View Post
I stumbled across this while wandering around the forum, is this what you did Mr 4x4? https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=83897

Yes the same thing but instead of a load of separate wires I built them into an OBD plug to make things easier when it comes to code reading

This was it once up and running with no stored codes

Volvo 850 GLT website
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 19:07   #30
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaelG View Post
In terms of the diagnostic port it is an OBDII as I have seen the wording on the coin holder and, while cleaning I pulled the holder out and could physically see the little port underneath.
Indeed, however in spite of the wording these are not OBDII compliant, in the sense that a generic OBDII reader will not work. I do stand to be corrected on this but I'm pretty sure that is right.

I agree with your plan though, build a flash code reader and that will probably be all you ever need.