Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 Just cleaned out my EGR mixer pipe - jesus!!

Views : 202837

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 15:30   #1
dave_s13

Default V70 D5 Just cleaned out my EGR mixer pipe - jesus!!

Can't believe how much gunk was accumulated in the thing.

I dread to think how messy the top of the engine is.

Here's some pics anyway.

The mixer pipe is the metal 90deg pipe in the right of the image. It was well caked in slimey black sooty cr@p.

Also the inlet into the top of the engine was thick with the same gunk.

Prior to removal

After removal

The EGR inlet hole (I think)

This is the common point for people to blank off the EGR.

And after a good clean up

Cleaned it up using carb cleaner and a LOT of kitchen roll. If you're going to do it invest in some latex gloves as it's a very messy job. Also tried as best as I could to clean out the top of engine inlet pipe and managed to scoop out a lot of mess with my fingers then cleaned out with carb cleaner and kitchen roll. It would really mean taking the top engine cover off to clean out properly but this would take a lot longer and mean messing about with the fuel lines, couldn't be bothered with that.

Easy job, just need a screw driver for the jubilee clips, takes an hour max.

The car seems to run a little smoother now and throttle response has improved, not a hugely noticable difference but it can't be good for the car to have all that horrible gunky cr@p in there.

For info my car is a 2002 V70 D5 on 103k.

The question is, would blanking my EGR valve prevent this from building up in future? I'm tempted to leave it be as the car runs fine as is.

Last edited by dave_s13; Apr 25th, 2010 at 15:53.
dave_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to dave_s13 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 20:09   #2
Redtwin

Blanking the EGR would prevent the sooty exhaust gases from getting in there so yes it would stay alot cleaner. The issue is whether your ECU would register an error code due to the blanked off EGR.

I used to have a BMW 330D that I blanked off the EGr and I had no issues with error codes, but that is of course a completely different car.

If you consider cleaning it as a yearly service regimen then you could probably skip blanking it and stay on top of the gunge build up.
Redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 20:56   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

did mine last weekend and just as bad as yours, as said you may have issues blanking it of and doing it yearly will not be as bad.
mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 22:50   #4
dave_s13

I'm going to leave it alone, it's not broke and all that

Amazing how badly these things crud up though, I wasn't expecting that much!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:53   #5
myfirstv70

Hi,
Can you notice any difference in the way the car drives since you cleaned the EGR out? Does it pull better or less smoke.....? I'm amazed how much crap had built up!
Cheers,
Nobby
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:06   #6
dave_s13

The difference is not that pronounced to be honest but it does seem to pull more consistently under hard acceleration. It also seems to start easier, not that it was bad before, fires up after a couple of turns of the engine rather than 3 or 4 and throttle respose seems to have improved.

I think some people have seen an improvement in MPG but it's a bit early for me to see that.

Ultimately, if your car has any mileage on it this pipe WILL be full of horrible nasty sheeiite. It makes sense that it would be better off not being there.

Dead easy job, just a bit messy.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:07   #7
dave_s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstv70 View Post
Hi,
Can you notice any difference in the way the car drives since you cleaned the EGR out? Does it pull better or less smoke.....? I'm amazed how much crap had built up!
Cheers,
Nobby
Just notice. This is not the EGR valve itself but the mixer plenum pipe and associated pipework.

I would imagine it's only worth messing with the valve itself if you are getting error codes?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:07   #8
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Take care guys, that stuff is highly carciogenic
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 12:44   #9
chieftiff

Hi Dave,

I don't want to worry you but look a bit further up the inlet tract. That is in the inlet plenum. There are other posts about this. I have a 2002 V70 and at 105k my EGR valve was all blocked up and the inlet plenum was the same. I was horrified as it looked like the old "black death" syndrome. Anyway I cleaned it all out (and yes you can re-use the injector pipes) and blanked off the egr. I have now done 163k and the inlet is still spotless and no more crap is going into my engine which is still sweet, drives well and passes MOTs no problem. No alarms or warnings at all.

Dave
chieftiff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chieftiff For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 16:44   #10
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

Showing my Ignorance here people, and anyway I hate TLA's
What does EGR stand for please?