Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

all buckled ! needs some suggestions

Views : 1056

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2013, 16:38   #1
twaiter

Default all buckled ! needs some suggestions

Hi guys just after some opinions really..

my r design has the 18" alloys fitted which i need to keep getting balanced but ive realised they are all pretty much buckled as you can see some up and down movement on the balancer.

ive questioned getting them refurbished but that works out around £400, when i suggested getting new wheels he mentioned alloys around that price wont be upto much and will most likely buckle easier as they are a lighter alloy and that volvos are heavy so better to use genuine alloys then..

so can anyone around glasgow area suggest a refurb place that will take out dents and buckles but also give a full refurb and warranty for less?

does anyone feel that that refurb cost is on the high side? and new alloys would be better?

or is their somewhere i can get high quality alloys for not alot more?

your opinions are appreciated!

thanks
twaiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 16:46   #2
tigger123

Default alloys

hi, try www.pxwheels.com i had 1 17" spartacus alloy wheel buckled that was picked up on the mot and they exchanged my buckled 1 with a refurbed 1 for £70 including fitting in blackpool, or they will post and you have to post yours back. the trouble is it all depends if they have your alloys on stock, worth a try though
tigger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 16:58   #3
twaiter

i was just looking on their actually, i think mine are nebula or something but look different to any on that page..
thanks for the info though!
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 19:22   #4
twaiter

any one else?
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 09:29   #5
iainmd

Many many years back I used a place called Advanced Powder Coatings in the Gorbals arches for my Audi 80 wheels. They were cheap and did a great job at £40 per corner. No idea if they still exist but contact details are/were:

37 Cleland Lane
Glasgow G5 9DB
0141 429 0027

I also have mates that have used Covanjill Powder Coaters nearish to Hamilton:
cpc@covanhill.com or 01555811219
www.covanhill-powder-coaters.com

They've been very pleased with the results.

That said, if it were me in that position I'd buy a second hand unbuckled set of alloys and ditch the originals. I really don't like having buckles repaired as once the metal is buckled reheated and repaired or filled it never has the same structural rigidity. Repairers beg to differ but physics are physics and 4 buckled wheels would make me opt for replacement.

To put it in perspective I bought a set of immaculate second hand 17" 5-spoke Volvo Serapis for £300. I also recently bought a second hand Spartacus for my wife's V50 for about £70 so you could sort a good condition replacement set for the same and not have any concern over repaired buckles. Going for 17" rather than 18" will give your rims more protection as there is more tyre sidewall.

But, at the end of the day it's up to you which path you take. Hope the above is helpful.

BTW: The Nebula was an S60 wheel not for our cars as the hub diameter is larger. I suspect you may have Medusa's.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 21:28   #6
twaiter

thanks for the input their, very helpful!

my concern is if i buy a new set of alloys, how do i know they will be strong? is their a certain type i should be looking for?
im worried about the weight of the car on different alloys..

You may well be right about the alloys!

any further comments are much appreciated.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 02:04   #7
marinovVC30

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaiter View Post
thanks for the input their, very helpful!

my concern is if i buy a new set of alloys, how do i know they will be strong? is their a certain type i should be looking for?
im worried about the weight of the car on different alloys..

You may well be right about the alloys!

any further comments are much appreciated.
If you buy second-hand Volvo alloys, they will definitely support a C30 (it's the lightest of them all). Check on the Volvo accessories web-page if they offer the same alloys for your car to be 100% sure.

If you buy after-market alloys, check the manufacturer spec. They will give you maximum weight or confirm if the wheels are appropriate for a particular car spec.

Martin
marinovVC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 13:20   #8
iainmd

Indeed. Any Volvo OEM wheels designed for the S40/V50/C30 will always be a safe option.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 00:09   #9
twaiter

most places that sell wheels even if its the section for the car it doesnt state max weight etc..